-
Posts
9,327 -
Joined
-
Days Won
45
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by velorush
-
As regrettable as going Erlewine might be from a fashion sense, those things actually work very well! Just lock the door, pull them out of the secret drawer, do your business and put them safely away. Remember the converse of 'pics or it didn't happen' is true, as well.
-
Is that surface mount? Might I suggest?
-
PSA - It's Raining Daytonas!
velorush replied to velorush's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
I have two favorite Hamer necks: 1. the '03 Vintage Carve (0.88 first fret) on the Kiz' Senior and 2. the '82 Phantom A5 (also 0.88) I owned around fifteen years ago. As I understand it the Phantoms and Prototypes with trems typically had larger necks to provide additional stability. -
PSA - It's Raining Daytonas!
velorush replied to velorush's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Always my question on every single guitar and almost never is that answered in an ad. My understanding was they were for the most part in the vein of the worldwide-conspiratorially-agreed-upon "medium C" (galls me to type that) 0.83" at the first fret, but recently one sold with a more acceptable (larger) neck, so who's to say (except the seller, who almost never says). [/rant] I suppose it is for the best. It keeps me from buying anything! Reverb sellers @currypowder (Derby City Gear), Music Zoo, Guitar Chimp and Guitar Riot are marked exceptions providing neck measurements and weight on almost every guitar. The Wildwood Guitar website is great in that regard, as well, and they do list on Reverb. Dave's is great about weight and will occasionally put neck specs. -
Atomic, again! Hamer USA Daytona Guitar S-style with Case - Black / Maple neck | Reverb Somebody's Hamer take on The Black Strat $1,200 with case. Needs a tort guard...
- 27 replies
-
- 10
-
-
EF86 / KT66? That should be interesting.
-
Stupid question, explain Strat pickup positions to me
velorush replied to bry4321's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Yep. That's exactly how I do it! Not! 🤣 -
Stupid question, explain Strat pickup positions to me
velorush replied to bry4321's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
@cmatthes I picked up a chambered hog body today. Something called a Fender Player II (a Mexican Strat) body. It’s HSH, so I’ll have to use the TV Jones routing template to make room for the third Classic and I should be good to go. @stobro we moved into a new church building around ten years ago. I was amazed at how quiet single coils can be with wiring done to code! The old building had been added on so many times the circuits were a spider’s web of noise. It’s been great to play a Strat again. -
Stupid question, explain Strat pickup positions to me
velorush replied to bry4321's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
@benjammin308 Easy to make your own with a pot you probably have sitting in a drawer: How To Make A No Load Tone Pot — Six String Supplies Takes easily less than 30 minutes. I technically did the half-blender pot - it blends only the neck into the middle/bridge and bridge selections. Having it blend both ways (adding bridge to neck and vice versa) seemed too fiddly to me. I prefer the master tone because otherwise the choice is: 1. no tone control on the middle pickup, or 2. two tone controls in the circuit on the 4 position. ETA: my take on the @cmatthes theme: I ended up pulling the TV Jones out of this and putting in regular Strat pickups (Suhr ML). This is a fairly medium weight alder body. I am thinking a chambered mahogany body would sound much better and maybe a maple neck to offset the mahogany warmth. -
Stupid question, explain Strat pickup positions to me
velorush replied to bry4321's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
My recipe after being a Strat guy since 1986: first tone control wired as Master Tone - all pickups second tone control wired as neck blend control 50's wiring (eliminates the need for a treble bleed) neck and neck/middle position great for rhythm when accompanying most any other instrument middle position - contrary to popular opinion, the funk lives here. You'll find your 2/4-position devotees, but middle is the funk. Also works great for accompanying rhythm when the neck is just too honky and dark middle/bridge - anything 70's Clapton, Gaines-led Skynyrd and 80's chorused rhythm. Works great for a lead tone when you're not trying to be over the top bridge is great for lead when gained up some. I almost never use the bridge if playing clean, but I don't play country at all I used the old (non-Custom Shop) Texas Specials for years but then started exploring more vintage flavors. I didn't think I cared for the Fender 57/62's, but that ended up just being the guitar. I like Suhr ML pickups a lot (more than the V60LP) and the Gilmour set is fun for a change of pace. @cmatthes will attest to the fun of TV Jones/Gretsch 'Trons in a Strat and they're humbucking, to boot. [/opinion] -
Deadline Extended!! Best of the HFC V
velorush replied to kizanski's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
In nerd school I was the graduate teaching assistant to the Dean of MBA. My second year they combined all sections of Econ 100 (required Econ course for non-business majors) so I had roughly 100 kids in the class. There was no way to administer exams other than the bubble answer sheets. The cool thing about that was the grading computer gave me complete statistical information on every question and with some personal information completed on each answer sheet on the front end (age, gender, year in school, etc.) I was able to see who was missing the question, what wrong answer was most frequently chosen, whether a bad question was missed by younger/older, men/women, etc. It was entertaining for the class and taught me a lot about, as you said, writing good questions and answers and trying to see if they were getting what I was trying to teach. -
Looks like a 2000. If that had a vintage carve neck I would love him and squeeze him and call him George!
- 12 replies
-
- 11
-
-
Monaco Superpro CO (Ebony Board) Absolutely beautiful, but also absolutely no objective information on the guitar. What does it weigh? What are the neck dimensions? [/minirant] But here's the "Startling Revelation" I noted in the title. Check this out: Estimated Used Value between $800 and $1,325? I realize that's completely absurd, but how does this affect potential buyers when they see this juxtaposed the asking price of $3,199 (which I think is pretty reasonable)? I haven't noticed this before, but are all Hamers listed given Estimated Values based on 2010 used market prices?
-
Carter’s Acquires Norm’s Rare Guitars
velorush replied to BoogieMKIIA's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
This is great news (though the odds of me being in Tarzana (IIRC) are somewhere between none and none). I've said it before, Carter's is among my favorite retail establishments of any type anywhere in the world. Try this: go in there and hang out for an hour and just try not to play a guitar. They absolutely want everyone to be playing the stuff hanging on the wall. They handed my son (around 12 at the time) a $50,000 vintage Strat to play just because he said he thought it was cool. They are terrific. -
Another tube preamp. Dumble this time.
velorush replied to Saul Goodman's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Explained: Seriously well-thought-out IMO. -
Another tube preamp. Dumble this time.
velorush replied to Saul Goodman's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
At $570 it's certainly more accessible than a Dumble. Effects loop and dual DI outs. Nicely done! -
Deadline Extended!! Best of the HFC V
velorush replied to kizanski's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
I was watching a video of a professor showing some system that actually showed keystrokes and time between keystrokes made by his students. I can't find it to post, but the professor was grading papers posted to Google's receptacle (Docs?) and he was able to access more or less a play-by-play of the paper's creation and seemed to infer the student didn't know he had that visibility. He tracked time between keystrokes, copy/paste, pauses, and was able to access combined averages for actions that allowed him to draw conclusions about whether the paper was created by a human or AI. The ridiculous part is the professor had to actually do that assessment as well as the normal task of grading the effort, but it was interesting that capability was there. I'm so old I typed college papers. Only in graduate school did we have access to newfangled word processors - WordStar and WordPerfect, IIRC - no mouse and a monochrome monitor - first green then amber. -
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
velorush replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
-
FS At Last! 2001 GMP Roxie 541
velorush replied to kizanski's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
Fishy: but what would he have to gain? Couple of bucks if he fixed it himself. If he wasn't going to protest and return the guitar, I see no motivation for 'fishiness.' But then again, how could that have possibly been broken off while packed? Maybe someone opened it before the buyer got home and it fell over on the face, breaking off the switch tip. They then started removing the back plate to figure out if they could fix it before the buyer got home, but just as the first screw came out, they heard the door shut as the buyer arrived. They stopped and put the screw in a similar position as the switch tip and feigned ignorance. That's a lot of assumptions, but I'm guessing falling over on that switch tip was the reason for the break. Or, the guitar laid on its face and something fell / leaned on it.