Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vai shreds it UP on a tripleneck!


Recommended Posts

Posted

Listen to the intro - I have the DVD - after the DVD ends there is a seen back stage where Vai and Satch are telling Yngwie they were amazed at his playing on this song especially the intro.

He can do awesome blues and phrasing but that is not what he chooses to do in his style of playing.

Voodoo Chile

I was going to post that too lol. Yngwie was by far the best to my ears too. Hell, Kenny Wayne Sheppard sounded better when him, Vai and Satch played at the same time. Improvising over Blues / classic rock type stuff just doesn't seem to be their strong point. I used to be a die hard Satch fan (Seen him 6+ times) but, he has gotten progressively boring to me. We walked out on him when he played following Dream Theatre, sounded like a garage band after those guys.

Don't get me wrong, Yngwie hasn't done much in the way of studio work in a hell of a long time but, him and Vai always bring it live, doesn't hurt that they always surround themselves with great musicians. Same can't be said for Satch. The last G3 show had some of the most sour notes I’ve ever heard from Satch, maybe an off night or something??

As far as the makeup of the audience, I'm glad I don't attend concerts based on the amount of women that may or may not be there. Chances are if I did, there would be little to no guitar involved anyway.

Posted

I'm pretty sure my wife thinks I'm insane now. She looks over at the computer while I'm laughing my ass off watching steve vai play a triple necked guitar and wearing headphones so she can't hear whats funny about it. I think whoever does these is amazingly talented in his own right. He's obviously studying what the players hands are doing and translating that into something that sounds horrible but also looks close enough to be believed by the majority of people watching the videos (or it would seem that way). Thats gotta take some talent.

Posted

That's just too funny!

I love his humorous mockery of the triple-neck and all its toggle laiden glory.

Posted

Did you see all those adoring hot chicks in the audience?

Me neither.

:o:huh::lol:

I went to see Vai a few years back in Baltimore. Eric Sardinas opened. Eric was insanely good, totally on fire with raw energy and worked the crowd like no tomorrow.

Vai came on and by the third song I was ready to go. By the middle of the fourth, I was headed out the door. Yes, he's got mad skills on guitar but fretboard gymnastics with no feeling, backed up with lots of fans to flow his hair, just didn't do it for me. YMMV

Having said that, I thoroughly like watching the G3 videos of him jamming with the other featured guitarists. And when I saw him in the 80s with Zappa then later in the DLR Band, it was a complete hoot.

I think I saw the same tour. I had roughly the opposite reaction. :lol:

-Austin

:)

Posted

Isn't Vai going to spend eternity in a bad, bad way, if that one movie I saw has any truth to it?

Perhaps that's why he's so talented.

Posted

I'm still trying to keep track of who saw the initial video and thought that was Vai playing, who was talking about parody Satch, who was talking about real Satch, and then who was taking the fake comments about the real videos seriously, the real comments about fake videos seriously...

..it's like a parody folding in on itself to read the reactiond.

Anyway. Missus Polara and I watched a few of the guy's (spoiler alert) FAKE VIDEOS IN WHICH THE VIDEO MAKER CLEVERLY OVERDUBS BAD PLAYING AND SMALL CLAPS TO REAL MUSIC VIDEOS and were howling with laughter. The Satch one was maybe the best, but the Angus Young had its moments.

Posted

Did you see all those adoring hot chicks in the audience?

Me neither.

:o Man, you are the man! :huh:

If no one wants to say it, I'll do it.

>>Feynman says it best<<

:lol:

Btw. this is the best forum I have ever seen.

Posted

Still like Yngwie's playing better when they are all 3 up on stage. He playing is way meaner in attitude compared the Satch or Vai.

I went to that G3 here in Montreal, and to me it was Satch who stole the show when the three played together. Malmsteen and Vai were of course amazing, but at a given point they began repeating themselves. However, every time it was Satch's turn, he managed to play something different. In addition, his playing was as loaded with chops as it was tasteful. To me he gave the audience a lesson on phrasing and on applied modal theory. In one sentence, Satch's improvisational skills are very impressive and he's a total master of his craft.

Listen to the intro - I have the DVD - after the DVD ends there is a seen back stage where Vai and Satch are telling Yngwie they were amazed at his playing on this song especially the intro.

He can do awesome blues and phrasing but that is not what he chooses to do in his style of playing.

Everybody has their own tastes. If you prefer Satch thats cool. I prefer Satch's music better. But when it comes to flat out burning on the guitar......

Voodoo Chile

Seen Satch 4 times

Seen Vai 3 Times

Seen Yngwie 3 Times

I was just talking about the jam that night here in Montreal.

Yes, Yngwie is absolutely awesome. I actually used to be a big fan and got everything from Steeler, Alcatrazz and early Rising Force. However, after the "Trial By Fire" I've only purchased two of his albums ("Inspiration" and "The 7th Sign"), even if I've still listened to everything he has released. Ah! I also have "The Collection".

Now, just to define my position respect to Yngwie, I think in the history of rock guitar there was Jimi Hendrix, then Van Halen and then Yngwie. Those three definitively marked the most important "before and affer" eras in the history of the instrument.

Posted

How come no one's posted this one yet?

Where's the camera? :o

-Austin

Sweet jeezus! I'm near crapping myself laughing here! Missus Diablo is sticking her head into the office and wondering what' so funny. Couldn't explain, was out of breath, laughing so hard... :huh:

Posted

this is my fave,

love the claps, little ozzy voice at 1:04,

and jakes "tapping" at 1:40

That is classic!

Posted

I'm still trying to keep track of who saw the initial video and thought that was Vai playing, who was talking about parody Satch, who was talking about real Satch, and then who was taking the fake comments about the real videos seriously, the real comments about fake videos seriously...

..it's like a parody folding in on itself to read the reactiond.

Anyway. Missus Polara and I watched a few of the guy's (spoiler alert) FAKE VIDEOS IN WHICH THE VIDEO MAKER CLEVERLY OVERDUBS BAD PLAYING AND SMALL CLAPS TO REAL MUSIC VIDEOS and were howling with laughter. The Satch one was maybe the best, but the Angus Young had its moments.

Just for the record I did see the original video and thought it was funny as hell... People seemed to be commenting on other things surrounding that tour so, I thought I would put in my .01 and a half ¢ :o

The people doing these videos definately put some thought / work into them, no doubt.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...