Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1 hour ago, JGale said:

What color knobs you want? I gotta lotsa knobs. All colors.

I can do three easily. Knurled shaft or smooth?

Wow very nice of you. They are  little brown chicken head knobs. The shafts are split shaft and knurled. They may be metric I don’t know .. they look small.  But I bet I have something around that will fit.

Funny thing is I love the pedal. Very subtle if that makes sense. Feels light and cheap but I love it  

I only saw this thread recently on the same night my old Timmy started acting weird. Like a grounding issue. Paul C fixed it once already for free years ago. Perfect timing. 

Pieman is sending me a knob or knobs. Thanks so much and thanks to everyone else who has offered.

I am shocked how much I like this pedal. I almost want to get another as a spare.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 1:34 PM, 1 bottlerocket said:

It's insane to think that people are shelling out 4k plus for a Klon when there are options such as these available.

Agreed.  I bought one based on this thread and think it sounds fantastic.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 3:34 PM, 1 bottlerocket said:

It's insane to think that people are shelling out 4k plus for a Klon when there are options such as these available.

Lotsa people out there buying Murphy Lab R9s when they could just get a nice Hamer Studio too.  Different strokes and all that.

• Haha 1

I am selling my Monsterpiece STUD Klone fairly cheap because they just don’t work for other than as a clean boost.  I bought a Clinch FX Ep-Pre for use as my always on tone shaper instead.  I’m glad you guys are digging them!

6 hours ago, Jim85IROC said:

Lotsa people out there buying Murphy Lab R9s when they could just get a nice Hamer Studio too.  Different strokes and all that.

I know what you mean. If it doesn't say Gibson or Fender on the head stock some people will turn  up their noses. I get it that there's a market for such things, I have never been a part of it. I played my Monaco III all over Asia, Europe, and North America and it was great. The sound of P90s hitting the front end of an amp never gets old.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 1 bottlerocket said:

I know what you mean. If it doesn't say Gibson or Fender on the head stock some people will turn  up their noses. I get it that there's a market for such things, I have never been a part of it. I played my Monaco III all over Asia, Europe, and North America and it was great. The sound of P90s hitting the front end of an amp never gets old.

I think it gets even more ridiculous with electronics.  It's funny because I've been an audiophile since I was 13, and I got so into it that I chose a career in Electrical Engineering.  I never seemed to hear some (most) of these profound differences that people always claimed when it came to audio, and then when I became capable of examining (and occasionally running my own) test results, I started to understand why.  My skepticism in the guitar world is no different.  Unless somebody can show me scientific proof (or at least strong evidence) that something makes an audible difference, then as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't. 

Things like the audibility of different caps and 99.9% of the nonsense pertaining to what impacts the sound of a pickup is just electrical nonsense.  I've got no reason to believe that there's any more merit to the "tonewood" debate and other non-electrical hardware.

So, the idea of a Klone sounding different than a Klon?  Nah.  Even if the diodes are different, unless somebody can show me on a scope or FFT that there's a difference, I'm not buying it.  99% of the differences that people are hearing from one Klone to the next is component tolerance differences, especially the pots.  Pots vary so much in value and in slope that it's no wonder that if you just set the pots to the same spot that things will sound different.  Spend a minute tweaking those pots and you'll get those 2 pedals to sound identical.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, 1 bottlerocket said:

Yes. When production stops the market lurches. It's insane to think that people will pay the asking prices but that's how it goes with fetish objects.

I guess so......I have an old and rare fuzz gadget. IIRC, I bought it for $10 in the 60s. I see one listed now at a "$300 discount" for only $699. Maybe I should dust it off.

And how much do I really NEED my KTR.........

Not to go on and on too much but I'm buying another one as a back up. I love this thing. Playing at home at modest volume into a 1973 Traynor Studio Mate combo with a custom open back cabinet. It is EL 84 goodness with lush reverb (does not stay clean at higher volumes though) and with this pedal it is just a sweet subtle crunch. This thing reminds me of my Mythical Overdrive which I assume  is a Klon type as well. 

And thanks to Pieman for sending me knobs from his dead Klon. Mine came missing one. If anyone else needs a knob let me know.

33 minutes ago, Hfan said:

Not to go on and on too much but I'm buying another one as a back up. I love this thing. Playing at home at modest volume into a 1973 Traynor Studio Mate combo with a custom open back cabinet. It is EL 84 goodness with lush reverb (does not stay clean at higher volumes though) and with this pedal it is just a sweet subtle crunch. This thing reminds me of my Mythical Overdrive which I assume  is a Klon type as well. 

And thanks to Pieman for sending me knobs from his dead Klon. Mine came missing one. If anyone else needs a knob let me know.

Could you post a link to what you're getting? I can't seem to find one

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried the Ceriatone Horsebreaker? Supposedly a dead on replica of both a Centaur and a (Marshall) Bluebreaker in a single pedal.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked this original version BYOC Silver Pony pre-built for $100. The PCB is discontinued and improssable to find. 
Klon circuit with 3 High Pass filter selections and 3 Diode clipping options. 
IMG_0367.jpeg

Sounds a bit thicker than my Aion Klone, but I think the Aion HPF is set  higher. There are definite character changes between the diode combination. 
Me likely.