velorush Posted September 25 Posted September 25 I agree with his assessment that in the 'passion space' (I take that to mean non-essentials) it works better to have someone who shares the passion. His persistent high talking, however, made his answers incredibly annoying.* I haven't been in a GC in years, but I visited the Louisville KY GC last month. They've a ways to go implementing his ideas. I'm no nuclear engineer, but past swipes at vertical integration haven't worked out well. GC and others have tried their hand at manufacturing (or contracted manufacturing) their own product lines and I am not aware of a single instance of success. It diverts resources and attention. Do what you do. [/opinion] *TIME MACHINE ASSIGNMENT #2: seek out and eliminate the originator of high talking (assignment #1, of course, is to seek out and eliminate the person(s) who decided the means of interfacing with a computer would be through a typewriter analog - good grief what an epic mistake) Quote
hamerhead Posted September 25 Posted September 25 It's nice they have an actual musician - one with a brain! - running the show. It can't hurt. Haven't been in a GC in a couple years, but the last time I was there it was not impressive. Kids running the store and shit laying everywhere. And you better know what you need because they didn't have a clue. Hopefully they get it together. As for their new guitar adventure, it'll be interesting. Their size might keep them in the game for a while. Their house brands Mitchell and Harbinger are really decent for the money but are not in the USA-made mid-tier space they are targeting. Still, I'll go to Dave's. With it being about the same distance away (opposite direction), I'd rather go where I know the guys have some knowledge of what they're selling. Quote
RobB Posted September 25 Posted September 25 (edited) GC ain’t gonna do shee-IT. They’ll just keep sloughing along being GC, selling beginner/midline gear to hobbyists. Like Tower Records, their empire has grown too huge to manage. They’ll transfer from receivership to receivership until, eventually…. Hasn’t happened yet, though. I will probably be proven wrong. Edited Tuesday at 09:40 PM by RobB 1 Quote
jwhitcomb3 Posted September 26 Posted September 26 The only thing worse than engineer guitarist CEO would be an engineer lawyer guitarist CEO. -Jonathan (BSEE, JD) 1 5 Quote
Brooks Posted September 26 Posted September 26 GC.com used inventory is where they remain relevant for me, maybe 75% of my gear comes from there. Lands on your porch, test drive up to 45 days, return locally if its not a keeper. 5 1 Quote
BadgerDave Posted September 26 Posted September 26 I predict that the GC "mid tier" guitar will be made in the Cort factory in Indonesia, look very much like a PRS and sell for $1,500.00 with a gig bag. 2 Quote
Spinaltap Posted September 26 Posted September 26 It was recently announced that GC is opening a store in Stamford where I live. It's a huge space, so... 2 Quote
BadgerDave Posted September 26 Posted September 26 There are nine GC stores within an hour's drive of my home. Two are excellent. The others occasionally have some interesting used inventory. 2 Quote
burningyen Posted Monday at 01:26 PM Posted Monday at 01:26 PM On 9/26/2026 at 11:02 AM, Spinaltap said: It was recently announced that GC is opening a store in Stamford where I live. It's a huge space, so... Hey, didn't realize there's another Hamer fan near me. I'm in Old Greenwich, and hadn't heard about the new GC. My music gear buying days are mostly behind me, but I'll have to check out the new store once it opens. 2 Quote
geoff_hartwell Posted Tuesday at 05:07 PM Posted Tuesday at 05:07 PM On 10/5/2026 at 9:26 AM, burningyen said: Hey, didn't realize there's another Hamer fan near me. I'm in Old Greenwich, and hadn't heard about the new GC. My music gear buying days are mostly behind me, but I'll have to check out the new store once it opens. Nice! I live in the NY side but would check that out. And I have an ongoing (more than a decade) Fri night residency at O’Neills in Norwalk if you’re looking to hear a Duotone in real life lol. (10pm-1am, no cov just luv) 3 Quote
Dave Scepter Posted Tuesday at 06:32 PM Posted Tuesday at 06:32 PM (edited) 3 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said: Nice! I live in the NY side but would check that out. And I have an ongoing (more than a decade) Fri night residency at O’Neills in Norwalk if you’re looking to hear a Duotone in real life lol. (10pm-1am, no cov just luv) Looks like a really cool place... I wish I lived closer, I'd buy you a beer and throw a couple of quarters in your guitar case 😃👌 Edited Tuesday at 08:23 PM by Dave Scepter 2 1 Quote
Spinaltap Posted Tuesday at 07:55 PM Posted Tuesday at 07:55 PM The GC is going to be on the top floor of the old Lord & Taylor bld between High Ridge and Long ridge. Its great hearing that there are board members around. Ill try to hit a Norwalk gig soon 1 Quote
GC Ron Posted Tuesday at 08:41 PM Posted Tuesday at 08:41 PM Gabe talks a good game, but as always, it's let's go back to what worked before we screwed the pooch. This is like the fifth round trip back to the future. A year after getting rid of a whole lot of us vets he realizes, whoops we did it again. Quote
RobB Posted Tuesday at 09:43 PM Posted Tuesday at 09:43 PM On 9/26/2026 at 3:05 PM, BadgerDave said: There are nine GC stores within an hour's drive of my home. That’s crazy. When I worked at GC, they had fifteen stores nation wide. 2 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.