tomteriffic Posted August 10, 2013 Posted August 10, 2013 They look like '70s Ibanez "Flying Fingers" pickups to me. Those *could* be the DiMarzio SCHBs (Super Clean Humbucker), which had solid covers with the DiMarzio "sun" logo on them. Hard to say. The era would be about right, though. That's what I get for not reading through to the second page...
Jim Browne Posted August 10, 2013 Posted August 10, 2013 As a result of that eBay listing, I had the somewhat surreal pleasure of exchanging e-mails with the wife of one of my boyhood heroes.I had mentioned to Peggy Sue Honeyman-Scott that her ad had generated quite a buzz here, so she asked me put any serious buyers in touch with her. I'm not 100% certain that she wants her e-mail address publicly posted, although I'm pretty sure that she was fine with it.Of course, anyone could reach her via eBay, like I did, but they have filters to detect e-mail address, within eBay messages.They've completely deleted totally innocent messages between me and a seller from whom I'd already purchased the item recently, due to the inclusion of my e-mail address. I sent her another message, just to make sure about her public info, and will update this thread, when I get back home, late tonight.Why am I even posting at all now, with this total non-information?Only because I had already started this post, before I thought that I'd better double check about the e-mail address, and I'm such a horrendous typist that I didn't want to endure this torture again, when I got the "all clear"!More later...
serial Posted August 10, 2013 Posted August 10, 2013 I'm sure this is an excellent place for the guitar up be sold-tons of serious James Honeyman-Scott and Hamer fans here!
mathman Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 I'm ready with cash!!!!! I'm ready too... except for the cash part.. . Cool guitar to own. Good luck to all potential buyers.
Jim Browne Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 Can non-HFC members read this section of the forum?I'm too internet illiterate to know whether or not it's unwise to post someone's e-mail address in a forum thread.I don't want to expose the seller to any undue risk (real or a product of my paranoid imagination!), so serious buyers please message me, here on the forum, and I'll send you Peggy Sue's e-mail address.Then -once you've purchased it- please photograph every nook and cranny, and post the photos here!
specialk Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 Yes, non-members can read the FS forum. Wise decision, sir.
mc2 Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 FYI.....She told me Jol said to not let it go for less than $25,000.....just in case that opening bid on EBAY has anyone dreamng.
cynic Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 Well sure, but Jol doesn't think ANY guitar should sell for less than $25k
Feynman Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 Well sure, but Jol doesn't think ANY guitar should sell for less than $25k
ARM OF HAMER Posted August 11, 2013 Author Posted August 11, 2013 Hard to put a value on something like this,been said before,what its worth is what someone will pay for it [Paul Allen are you here on the HFC?] LOL! Its a historic guitar to be sure I can't think of anyone here not wanting it. 25K is a huge number but there are people out there with deep pockets who could certainly do that IF they wanted to so..........Honeyman Scott is hardly a house hold name though,least in my neck of the world,bet I could stop 20 people on the street here and ask if they knew who he was and not one could tell me...............maybe some would know of "The Pretenders" as a group from back in the day or the radio but.Case in point,anyone here know who Sheldon Reynolds is? I own one of his former guitars[Custom made,one off in this finish color] and I didn't pay anywhere near 25K for it..................but I'd do a even trade for the JHS Hamer Standard. : ) BTW is that guitar In the Hamer "BOOK"? I have not gotten my copy yet but it will be here this week from Barnes and Noble...........look forward to that.
serial Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 J H-S is one of my all-time favorites and four digit Standards are my favorite guitars, but I think a more realistic selling figure would be between the two numbers. When I saw $7500, I even considered it, but it wasn't a guitar he played enough to get up into the higher range for me. I hope the sale happens though-thats an awesome piece of history.
RichRS6 Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 The Gary Moore Standard was at Music Ground in the U.K. with a price tag of £25,000. ($38,000 to you lot)http://www.musicground.com/product_details.aspx?pid=570&page=1&stext=hamerGary was/is far more widely known than JH-S and the guitar AFAIK is the only one of it's kind although not really a 4 digit as it was made in 84. I think they still have it, it's still in their inventory.If I was Peggy Sue (great title for a song) I could never part with it, although I guess there may be others guitars that She/Jimmy are/were more attached to.As mentioned earlier the JH-S Standard has been to auction previously (in 2005) and Bonhams guide was $10,000 - $15,000 and it didn't make it's reserve or it would have been sold.Has the market for stars/collectors pieces guitars gone up or down since then ?My guess would be it's pretty much remained the same, if anything it's shrunk, there are plenty of 58 /59 L.P's around so they aren't being snapped up as the "investments" they were once considered.$10,000 - $15,000 would be reasonable, any more than that and it's probably going to end up in a glass case at a Hard Rock and never get played again which would be a shame.
cmatthes Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 Gary was/is far more widely known than JH-S and the guitar AFAIK is the only one of it's kind although not really a 4 digit as it was made in 84. Why not? #0731 is definitely a 4-digit!I have an '84 Standard that is a 4-digit.
RichRS6 Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 I stand corrected.I thought after Hamer moved into mass production the 4 digit serials were only used for custom orders.I know, I know it's in the book but I'm waiting to get a signed copy sorted out.
cmatthes Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 That is correct - Standards were in that category though.I think it was because they were just so freakin' awesome. Not sure if that's the technical term or not though...
RichRS6 Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 What I was trying to say was the JH-S is what I would consider a 4 digit built when all Standards got a 4 digit number.Gary's was custom ordered in 1984 and got a 4 digit s/n. Not the same thing IMO, not suggesting it makes any difference to the quality of the instrument. Just saying.After 1980 (ish) the usual numbering method for standards was no longer 4 digits."Freakin' awesome" is the technical term, well, it is now.
cynic Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 After 1980 (ish) the usual numbering method for standards was no longer 4 digits.Not true
RichRS6 Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 Jeeez, now everyones a freakin' expert ! So, for those of us still without the book when is a 4 digit not a four digit, when did production of the "normal" 4 digit standard stop and the new numbering system start for "production" standards ?
cmatthes Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 First generation Standards weren't "Production" guitars, like Sunbursts, Specials, Blitz, Vector and most other instruments. They were dropped from the lineup in the mid-80s, as was the 4-digit serialization.Post '84 (maybe early '85?), they were available on a custom order basis only until 1995, when they were reintroduced, using the standard serial scheme.
serial Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 Four digit instruments ran from 1974-1985. All Standards were four digits until the scheme stopped.
mc2 Posted August 11, 2013 Posted August 11, 2013 Dude...you should write a friggin' book or something to clear all this up.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.