Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Beauty and brains

The point we've missed (not those two) - SHE'S PLAYING A GUITAR!!

There is still a small glimmer of hope that the guitar won't go the way of the dinosaur or accordion.

For a while.

You know, as odd as it is that huge percentages of the current youth population feel the need to be on YouTube for everything, I'm impressed with anyone who will upload a video of them performing to it. I mean, you just KNOW someone will tear you to shreds (or in her case, just talk about her body). Do they not read the comments? Do they not care about the negative responses? Most people I know who play would never find the stones to post a video of them playing solo to YouTube.

I'd chalk it up to one of several things: an irresistible desire to be seen, an unquenchable thirst for fame (in whatever form) and/or copious amounts of encouragement/ accolades (deserved, well-intentioned or otherwise) already. Never underestimate peoples desire to stroke their egos even if it would backfire.

You know, as odd as it is that huge percentages of the current youth population feel the need to be on YouTube for everything, I'm impressed with anyone who will upload a video of them performing to it. I mean, you just KNOW someone will tear you to shreds (or in her case, just talk about her body). Do they not read the comments? Do they not care about the negative responses? Most people I know who play would never find the stones to post a video of them playing solo to YouTube.

I'd chalk it up to one of several things: an irresistible desire to be seen, an unquenchable thirst for fame (in whatever form) and/or copious amounts of encouragement/ accolades (deserved, well-intentioned or otherwise) already. Never underestimate peoples desire to stroke their egos even if it would backfire.

Should we apply that too to the 8 years old and 4 years old starting to play ANY instrument???

What happened to encouraging the playing??the interest taken, the hours of practice? the BALLS to make it public??

WTF!!!!

edited to add: at 17..there is no ego formed yet. In any case, is called confidence building, and all those who remember their very first gig in public, may remember. And with so much bullying and suicide rates, people need more accolades today than ever...specially for picking up good habits like guitar playing.

Go further, a 50-60 years old, that after so many years, finally can get up and play guitar: if he post something, is not ego, cause he just started, is confidence building. you think it could be fame thirst??

Middle-age guys that travel miles and miles, to be together and jam once a year...is it ego?? Is it an irresistible desire to be seen?? Thirst for fame???Why don't they stay home??

The world would be a WAY better place with more people being positive about others...

Please, she's 17..no fake boobs (she's normal, not a reality tv person)

She only have 7 years of guitar...take a look at her other stuff

She has a lot of road to cover...and she'll beat our asses doing it

and she's gorgeous!!

so please, beaches... :D

No fake boobs? OK, now I feel more positive about her. :lol:

But as I already said, I think she's a nice player and a nice singer -and she's of course beautiful. She seems to be on the good path to some kind of glory.

BTW, at 17 y/o the desire to be seen and to get other people's recognition is very normal.

But yes, she does her stuff very well and also, as you say, got the balls to make it public -she got a big pair of'em, indeed! :)

Should we apply that too to the 8 years old and 4 years old starting to play ANY instrument???

What happened to encouraging the playing??the interest taken, the hours of practice? the BALLS to make it public??

WTF!!!!

edited to add: at 17..there is no ego formed yet. In any case, is called confidence building, and all those who remember their very first gig in public, may remember. And with so much bullying and suicide rates, people need more accolades today than ever...specially for picking up good habits like guitar playing.

Go further, a 50-60 years old, that after so many years, finally can get up and play guitar: if he post something, is not ego, cause he just started, is confidence building. you think it could be fame thirst??

Middle-age guys that travel miles and miles, to be together and jam once a year...is it ego?? Is it an irresistible desire to be seen?? Thirst for fame???Why don't they stay home??

The world would be a WAY better place with more people being positive about others...

I'm gonna have to disagree. Kids are VERY ego-centric even as early as 2 or 3 years old. Their entire existence is predicated on serving and satisfying their needs and desires.

As for 17 year olds? Yeah, more tempered and perhaps restrained but still there, still clamoring to be acknowledged.

Been teaching high school, middle school and running summer camps for 5 year olds thru 15 year olds for 20 + years so I have a bit of personal experience in this regard.

My comments are not out of line with what likely drives many teens to post on YouTube and other social media sites. It's not meant to bash the young lady nor to disparage youths from trying out musical instruments or ANY artistic endeavor for that matter. (Did I mention that I've run a guitar club at school for the last 15 years? Or that I teach art to youths as my profession as well as a side job?) It's just a documented fact that teens tend to seek out acceptance for both their artistic endeavors and for themselves as individuals on sites like YouTube. In truth, it does tend to color my perception as to what really is motivating them.

Obviously very pretty. Good singer. Descent guitar player. She is 17, give her a chance to find her artistic voice. I hope she does.

Or, maybe she is an "internet" fraud. Already has a record company backing, band, original compositions, etc. And, is carefully building a "buzz" so she can be an interesting story

when she breaks. And when she does, will be playing mass consumption pop like call me maybe.

Google her - she has a fair amount of buzz etc. out there.

All I can say is, most singers think only the singer is important, they think that whatever and however they sing, the band should follow them.

Most singers need a band to play with.

This young lady does fine playing with herself and posting the video on YouTube for everyone to watch.

WTF!!!!

The only thing I'll disagree with here is about a 17-year-old having no ego. I've seen more than enough 17-year-olds (and younger) who think the world just revolves around them to disprove that! Just go to some high school athletic events - you'll find more than you can swing a baseball bat at.

That said, didn't we just have a thread and series of news stories about the old man who wrote his first song about his late wife of 75 years and how wonderful that was? So why isn't this? Opposite end of the age spectrum, to be sure, but she's putting herself on the line, whatever her reasons. And virtually no one who posts a YouTube video is unaware of the nastiness that can ensue, and since she apparently has a bunch of videos out there, I'm sure she's well aware of how nasty it can get. But she still did it.

We guitarists have a well-earned reputation for being snide, competitive bastards. How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb? 15 - one to do it, 14 to stand around and say, "I could have done that". There's more than a kernel of truth to that. It's a reaction I've had myself, but I'm trying to change that and be more positive and encouraging.

So, if you can't applaud the performance, at least applaud the effort and the balls it took to put it out there.

Alan

I like this

+1

Yup. I'm a dyed in the wool hard rocker but I definitely like this over her rendition of Highway to Hell...

Honestly, it's easy to joke about because, as Dasein pointed out, there's nothing really new or remarkable about her performance. Pretty face, nice voice, adequate but IMO boring guitar work and a lovely rack. Meh. There are a gazillion hopefuls like her, clamoring to get their view counts up to a number that will yield some kind of financial or career fruit.

To be blunt as spoon, re: performers- you gotta have more going for you than that to keep my attention.

Agreed. Pretty might get ya in the door, but ya gotta do better than average with a little boob jiggle to get the gig. I wouldn't have listened to more than twenty seconds of it played on the radio.

This young lady does fine playing with herself and posting the video on YouTube for everyone to watch.

Now THAT"S the video I wanna see...

Can we get back to talking about her breasts?

Perfect! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA- I laughed so hard my wife came in the room, at which point I had to explain what was so funny. That didn't go so well... <sigh>

....and anybody who thinks a 17-year-old can't have fake tits hasn't watched enough TLC or MTV or Miss America or etc etc etc.

They can, but she doesn't. That's a push-up giving God's gifts a hand.

Hold the phone Mable . . . . some of us are not remotely comparing apples to apples here. We’re not talking about Janis Joplin and she’s sure the heck not claiming or portraying herself to be that. She’s just a young lady playing an acoustic guitar in her dang bedroom. Does it help that she’s easy on the eyes – sure. But all of this needs to be kept in the proper perspective.

Now, if this 17 year old young lady was instead a 27 year old seasoned artist, performing on a stage somewhere or trying to charge money as a paid professional – then fire away – its fair game. But to dissect a young adult’s musical talent to this level, who is just starting to cut her teeth in the music industry is pretty short sighted and comes across fairly harsh. YouTube is huge as a market place, but is also possibly the most brutal stage out there. It takes HUGE stones to post anything about you on it - for this exact reason - much less a damn music video of yourself. She’s pretty good by any standard and damn good for any seventeen year old (hooters or not). She has a couple dozen videos with tens of thousands of views on each one – so she’s doing more than a little something right.

As for her not smiling or making the right faces when playing?!?!?! Good-f#@king-grief man, I’m lucky if I’m not involuntarily making crazy Michael Jordan tongue aerobic faces when I play something hard (for me) – so much for MY stage presence.

And for what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure if I had been that talented a guitarist/musician when I was seventeen and looked that good (slim chance there), I would have stacked enough cash there would be no HFC threads about the “remaining four digit Standards out there”. Because I’d have a man-cave the size of a lumber mill and I’d already own every flippin’ four digit Standard that had popped up for sale and a couple a hundred of their Hamer USA friends to help fill it. Holy sh*t, would that make me a Hamer-hoarder? :wacko:

All cussing and discussing aside, I’m honestly just thrilled that someone in her generation is still very passionate about playing the guitar – period. Like most people, I wish her nothing but incredible success.

^Boomerang-Junkie, that's spot on... and you got balls too. To be frank, I didn't watch her other videos and took it very lightly my side. I didn't even give it a deep thought, but I think you're right. We as a crowd here can be very unfair and merciless. What if this was a video of the daughter of one of us, posted on a "Proud Dad" thread? I bet we would praise and applaud!

I guess I missed the fun... The video is now marked private. What's something to search for to try to find it?

Edit: Never mind. I saw the highway to hell reference in the thread and saw another copy posted. I wonder why the account was suspended. Does YouTube do that for cover tunes?

Or maybe she found out that dad's been viewing it... an awful lot. :ph34r:

If I was her dad, I would be proud.

Maybe she got signed while we were at it? :rolleyes:

Archived