Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Advice Requested: 1993 Hamer "Special" P-90

Hello!

Anyone have/had the above guitar model and have any thoughts on it?  I am a fan of P-90 style pickups, and would love to add another Hamer to my stable.  There is one on sale at Reverb (link below), but the big issue I have is that there is a "cosmetic finish crack" around the neck pocket.  Hmm...that always makes me nervous--and it looks like there is some other gunk around the crack.  Maybe a really bad repair attempt?  I've added a photo of it below.  The seller is going to send me some more detailed pictures of the crack.  My first inclination is to run, but maybe I am over-reacting.  Any advice is appreciated!  And, yes, in reading up on these boards, looks like if I do make an offer it should be for $350. :)

https://reverb.com/item/25604632-hamer-special-usa-1993-trans-red

spacer.png

I would get some reassurance from the seller & return policy if the neck issue is more serious and is "not as described" that being said, the seller has over 60 positive reviews so that should give you some peace of mind😉

If I had just waited a bit longer before posting...he just got back to me with very detailed photos.  now I am more confused.  Looks like some sort of crack with a very poor attempt to fix it using alien snot or something.  Seriously--what the heck???  Never seen anything like this...pretty ugly but my untrained eyes can't tell if it's just cosmetic or a sign of bad things to come.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Appreciate it--that was going to be my next question.  Hard to get pricing data on many of these guitars.  I was going to negotiate down from $850, but if that's about right for a proper one without damage, I'll just hold out for it.  Thanks!!

That original listing looks like it may be one I owned a while back. Mine had a small cigarette burn by the neck joint when I bought it, but it wasn’t nearly as ugly as it looks in these pictures. The rest of the finish issues were not on mine however. Regardless of the burn it was a damn good guitar. 

29 minutes ago, Keoghpjk said:

Mine had a small cigarette burn by the neck joint when I bought it, Regardless of the burn it was a damn good guitar. 

Yep, doesn't seem like a structural crack to me~

Small world seeing your guitar again!  Oddly enough, I did initially  think it could have been a cigarette burn, but couldn't explain the green.  Maybe it was a menthol? LOL.  It would make sense that the burning cigarette would react with the finish, possibly causing the crack, and over time maybe turning green over time?  Or maybe someone just put their gum there too....

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell you get a cigarette burn there? :unsure:.. I can see at the headstock between the E tuner and the nut but not at the neck heel joint... were you smoking a cigarette while talking to the bass player then all of a sudden noticed a strange smell? 😆fgLU1B2.png

Many years ago when I smoked, I remember one time the cherry fell off the cigarette and started burning a hole in my drivers seat right between my legs.  I did not notice until I started smelling the burning fabric and foam.  Maybe something like that?  Or maybe they just put it out there coz there was no ashtray handy...heh.

good point about the cigarette, but looks like the area has a kind of stress, probably im wrong

and is amazing how the fourth fret into the wood looks diferent with the other ones

if something call your attention and you cant be in peace 100%, my little recomend is leave it , you will find something out there soon

20190701_034046.jpg

31 minutes ago, pablo said:

good point about the cigarette, but looks like the area has a kind of stress, probably im wrong

and is amazing how the fourth fret into the wood looks diferent with the other ones

if something call your attention and you cant be in peace 100%, my little recomend is leave it , you will find something out there soon

20190701_034046.jpg

Looks like the finish along the side of the fretboard has been trimmed away.     Guessing bad hameritis (finish bubbles) along side of fretboard.      That said.  Am at a loss understanding the finish flaw. Looks awful   Plenty of non molested specials out there 

I thought "cigarette burn" too. If you search Hamers on Guitar Center, I saw a P90 Special for $700 last week that looked sharp. And you get to return it if it's a dog. They're really good guitars... I'd put them as maybe my top on a list of "If you had to have only one guitar to play rock, what would it be?" choices.

36 minutes ago, polara said:

I thought "cigarette burn" too. If you search Hamers on Guitar Center, I saw a P90 Special for $700 last week that looked sharp. And you get to return it if it's a dog. They're really good guitars... I'd put them as maybe my top on a list of "If you had to have only one guitar to play rock, what would it be?" choices.

If you are checking on the gc special.   Call and ask them to check the nut.    There’s a cherry one that had been making the rounds that had a poorly (imho) replaced nut.     This may be it. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Definitely this one over the OP's original find. It's just waiting for a set of Firebird pickups.

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Grab it and downsize something else. 

A 1992 Special will have a thin neck. 

Thank goodness. I don't need another guitar and that one's a whole lot of guitar for what it is.   The minihumbuckers are an interesting addition.

Archived