Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Songs that "stopped you dead in your tracks"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1982, driving to MSAC junior college in Walnut. The DJ mentioned something about, "Ronnie Montrose's new band", and played "Voyager" off of "Gamma 2". I was so floored I had to pull over, it was really powerful. The tone and the groove on that song, sheeeit. Hard to explain, it's like you almost leave your body?

I've got Gamma 2 on CD. There are quite a few good cuts on that one. The first one is not bad either. But I think "2" was the best othe 3 releases they did, that I am aware of.

1982, driving to MSAC junior college in Walnut. The DJ mentioned something about, "Ronnie Montrose's new band", and played "Voyager" off of "Gamma 2". I was so floored I had to pull over, it was really powerful. The tone and the groove on that song, sheeeit. Hard to explain, it's like you almost leave your body?

I've got Gamma 2 on CD. There are quite a few good cuts on that one. The first one is not bad either. But I think "2" was the best othe 3 releases they did, that I am aware of.

I never knew there was more than 1. I have the first one and it floored me. Now I have to go looking.

Once in a while a pop song just jumps out of the radio and grabs you by the throat as it drags you into the back seat. Radio's pretty lame these days, but one time I remember that happening was the first time I hear the Pusette-Dart Band's "Amnesia". Most Esteemed Redhead and I still do that one to this day. I just couldn't believe how cool that record sounded and how different it was from everything else that was ozing out of the ray-dee-oh at the time

Yes sir Tom.... there are at least 3 Gamma records. The 2nd one rocks quite a bit harder than the first. I can not recall anything from the 3rd album.... have not heard it in 20 years. I may be totally mistaken, but I think Davey Pattison was not the vocalist on 3.

also, seeing king crimson perform "elephant talk" on fridays (ABC's short lived answer to SNL).

Wow - I saw that too! They also played "Thela Hun Ginjeet" which REALLY freaked me out!

Senior year in high school when someone put on Van Halen #1 and I heard the openining riff of "you really got me" not so much the song but...the tone of Eddy of which at that time I had no idea of???

Songs that "stopped you dead in your tracks"

There are too many to name. Here are ones that I have wore out in not particular order.

Hush - Deep Purple

He's A Whore - Cheap Trick (ah, punk rocks)

IWYTWM - Cheap Trick (The Live version, please).

Babe le Strange - Heart

Paint it Black - The Stones (Thank You, Brian Jones, rest in peace)

Eleanor Rigsby - The Beatles (Saddest Song I have ever heard)

Mind Games - John Lennon

King of the Road - Roger Miller

Oh My Darling Clementine - Huckleberry Hound ( I have been told I sang that song almost every day when I was three or four. Maybe this should be in the category of "shitting in my pants" instead of stopping dead in your tracks...LOL)

Cult of Personality - Living Colour

Rooster - Alice in Chains (Instant attraction - to my father two timer in Viet Nam.

Doctor Love - Kiss

Crying - Roy Orbison (Most Haunting Voice I have ever heard)

Little Sister Dont'cha - The King (James Burton on Guitar)

Controversy - Prince

Carpe Diem - Andy Timmons

Holy War - John Butcher ( I hope history does not repeat itself in this case)

Too Cool From the Wire - Dirty Looks

Manic Mechanic, Jesus Just Left Chicago, Cheap Sunglasses, Brown Sugar, Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, Heard it on the X, Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers, - ZZ Top

Wake Up Little Suzie, Dream, Bye,Bye Love - The Everly Brothers

Love Removal Machine - The Cult

Strange Brew- Cream

Shock Me- KI$$

Government Flu- Dead Kennedys

Kingdom- Echo and the Bunnymen

11 o'clock tick tock- U2

Jamie's Cryin'- Van Halen

How Soon is Now?- The Smiths

Communication Breakdown- Led Zep

Cold Shot-SRV

I feel Rhythm- Ron Trent

Mean Girl from Church- The Rough Sex Defense

Dream Theaters -pull me under. had me totally hooked from the first time I heard it. I ended up at the music store trying to describe it/sing it to the guy behind the counter (only time I've ever done that) since I had no idea who the band was or the name of the song but I knew I had to have it (He ended up trying to sell me a toad the wet sprocket or a smashing pumpkins CD so one of us was waaay off, probably me, I'm not much of a singer).

SRVs -little wing. cover had me from the first time I heard it. I'm not sure I was a Stevie Ray fan before that but that song changed it all for me.

SRVs -texas flood. live from the el mocambo. This version absolutely kills! (gotta watch it on the video to truely appreciate it).

Dio's -we rock. I was curious who this Dio guy was with the freaky album covers (hadn't made the black sabbath connection yet) so I bought the last in line. First song, opening notes and I was hooked.

Gary Hoeys -hocus pocus blew me away from the first time I heard it. Almost pulled the car over on that one.

I've probably got more but those are the ones that really jump out at me.

Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood ...couldn't literally stop as I was ripping down the freeway at 80 per but I knew it was the latest Crue and I held my breath until Vince sang. (OK, I'm all better now-hahaha)

++ on The Smiths - How Soon Is Now - Honda(?) used the opening of this song in a commercial a few years back, and I had to track it down. (I seem to remember hardcore fans lamb-basting them for 'selling out') That song has got a way cool musical vibe goin' on.

Dion

The Dillenger Escape Plan "Abe The Cop" It makes me count to myself everytime.

Miles Davis "So What" Sexy goddamn Sexy.

Van Halen "Panama" Way to much energy for one song.

Messauggh "Future Breed Machine" The guitar alarm clock in the begining makes me NUTS!!!

Joe Satriani "Ice Nine" Shredding after the break Priceless.

Just to name a few

Johnny Marr is easily one of my main influences..His clean, jangle sound is amazing and one of those tones I strive for...

I'd also check out :

The Queen Is Dead

The Boy with the thorn in his side

There is a light that never goes out

This Charming Man

to name but a few....then check out his work on The The's "Mindbomb"

Armageddon Days

The Beat(en) Generation

his collaboration with Bernard Buttler of New Order:Electronic

and his own band: Johnny Marr +The Healers

I'm right there w/Copper on the Johnny Marr thing. He is an unbelievably cool and distinctive player.

As much as I didn't care for Morrissey's trip, Marr made me a Smiths fan (of course, they also had one of the primo rhythm sections of the 80s). The man can play the coolest stuff without the flash and burn and just KILL you with it.

His newer stuff (Boomslang) is also worth a listen...

From that point, Rush became to me the kind of music that not only could I *NEVER* ignore

me too! i was the biggest rush fan in high school, our garage bands set was 2/3 rush tunes. saw rush on the "grace under pressure" tour at the texxas jam (i was forbidden from going, so i snuck out and went anyway, grounded for months after but worth it).

lost interest after GUP, but today i still listen to fave tunes from hemispheres/permanent waves/moving pictures.

also, seeing king crimson perform "elephant talk" on fridays (ABC's short lived answer to SNL).

Wow - I saw that too! They also played "Thela Hun Ginjeet" which REALLY freaked me out!

i rode my bike to the mall the next day and bought "discipline".

Tears for Fears' "Shout": Loping and clanking, it wasn't pop, wasn't progressive rock, wasn't rock and roll. While the bass solo in the middle and the guitar solo at the end were simplistic, they were still extremely listenable and memorable. I'd never heard anything like that tune.

+1 on "Elephant Talk", only I bought DISCIPLINE before the Crims were on Fridays...or at least, I didn't see 'em if they were on before the album was released. Hearing an Electric Stick will definitely turn yer head, almost every time.

Joe Maphis............Lorrie Ann

Jimi Hendrix.......Drivin' South

Frank Zappa........Hot Rats

Freddie King ...........Hide A Way

Merle Travis.........Blue Smoke

Danny Gatton..........Harlem Nocturne

Albert Lee.............T Bird to Vegas

Roy Buchanan..........Sweet Dreams

Jimmy Bryant...........Arkansas Traveler

"Captain Jack"-Billy Joel

"Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"-Billy Joel

"Funeral for a Friend"-Elton John