Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Standard vs Fying V .. interested in both

I really like the look of the flying V.. but seems impratical... I also think the standard looks cool also.. can anyone give info on either as to why you like or dislike.. it may be my next hamer.. unless I talk myself into a gibson historic.. thanks

This is one my preferred subjects! :)

Flying V:

+ Can rest safely against a wall, standing on its two legs.

+ Great access to the upper frets.

+ You can put your thigh between the V legs for great stability -and this is how you play it sit, BTW.

- Hard to play on a bed.

Standard:

+ Ergonomics: your picking hand rests on the upper wing and your fretting hand tends to remain parallel to the fretboard naturally.

+ Balance.

+ You can play it sit, in bed or in any position, as if it was a traditionally-shaped guitar.

- Access to the upper frets might be a bit compromised.

- Bigger than your average guitar -it takes huge cases and such.

Tonewise, I think the Standard tends to sound more LesPaul-ish and the V a bit more nasal; but that might be just my perception, as every guitar is different.

Must add that women seem to like Standards more than Vees -but that's also just my perception. ;)

There are lots of real nice Standards out there. I am envious of your quest. Looking forward to seeing what you find.

Cheers!

"Must add that women seem to like Standards more than Vees -but that's also just my perception. ;)"

So.....Size matters?

"Must add that women seem to like Standards more than Vees -but that's also just my perception. ;)"

So.....Size matters?

You bet it does! :)

But let's stay more factual than that: I know two female friends who find Standards (or Explorers) sexy. In addition, my wife loves them and has always wanted to convert me to them.

The Z man got most of this in his response.........

Comparison wise, I find V's comfier to play (when sitting down or loafing on the couch) they're usually lighter so less tiring when stood up, the top fret access is better, I don't think the extra size of a Standard is a big tone shaper although the Explorer shape probably has more mass which may add to sustain.

The cases are a lot more compact and will fit in an overhead locker on a plane.

A V is safer to stand up if theres no stand handy.

Downside to a V, they can be neck heavy.

A Standard is a big old thing on a strap and it can take a lot of knocks before you get used to it sticking out all over the place.

I wouldn't even consider a Gibson Explorer now (excluding a real 76 reissue) or a V unless it was a 75, a 79 block or a vintage one.

Never played a Vector so can't comment on the differences between them and Gibbers.

well I play in basically a trio.. well we have a singer too... hopefully I wont be banging into anyone with it., I could see that part of it being a pain ..... also, I'd want it to be under 9lbs.. my artist is a perfect weight.. :) oh, and its got to be a custom

Where to put a Standard when you're not playing it? That's been my biggest issue since I finally plunged into one two months ago ('96 Hog natural). I use Hercules stands (I find them best, with just one point of contact) and they don't work with Standards because the high e string and a bit of the b string hang over the headstock, crossing from the nut to the tuning pegs. In fact, aside from the multi guitar rack stands (that are still a little precarious), I haven't found one that works well with it.

Also the knocks and dings while getting used to its dimensions. Yep, those happen. Very small ones that made impressions, so far!

+1 on Richs comment "I wouldn't even consider a Gibson Explorer now (excluding a real 76 reissue) or a V unless it was a 75, a 79 block or a vintage one."

I prefer the Standard, ergo-wise. I never could compromise the way I like to hold a guitar, by letting a V dry hump my knee.

The rubber pad on the bottom of the Vectors helps hold it in place, while playing "traditionally". But unless you give it horsey-ride on your

knee, you'll be hikin' it up in your lap all the time.

Standards

- One of the most comfortable designs on the planet, no matter if you are sitting down or jumping around on stage.

- Looks cool. (if you are man enough to play them, if not you just look like a dork with a cool guitar.)

Vectors

- No matter what Zorrow says, they can't be played sitting down in a comfortable way.

- Useless ergonomic design. You bump the horns into everything when standing up.

- Does not feel so comfortable playing them standing up either, but I guess it takes some getting used to.

- Looks really really cool, (if you are man enough to play them, if not you just look like a dork with a cool guitar.)

Those are valid "cons" from my experience, but "pros" like it sounds awesome, feels and balances awesome, looks awesome, is super comfortable to play, all outweigh the cons for me.

Any day, the Standard wins in my books.

Weird, I find V's really comfy to play sat down and on a strap, maybe I'm weird.

Sitting down with the crotch of the V against your thigh they put the neck in a great place for riffing, sat on the couch with my legs up I can still get comfy which I can't with a Standard.

They're also (generally) lighter than a Standard so better it you're standing up for a long time with it on a strap.

They're both great shapes for guitars, their longevity is a tribute to the designer (Ted McCarty gets the credit for that).

The only other wacky shape I really like is B.C. Rich's Mockingbird.

if one comes along that I really dig.. I might bite... I'm not a couch player unless its an acoustic.. so that is not an issue.. we will see...

i have a hamers special and artist and a gibson lp.. my other option is to go with a tele w/ a bucker and a trem.. gretsch scare me.. they seem one dimensional

only thing that is bumming me out about the standard.. is that they are not gig friendly... huge case (I hate hauling hard cases) and nowhere to stick on a stand... so I may be talking myself out of one :(

Standards are not a problem if you play on large stages and carry a lot of gear anyway. They are stadium guitars!

I should add to the list early Gibson custom shop V's

IMG_2933.jpg

This is a nice piece, by the way. One response to a + that Z posted earlier: I would posit that the original '58s and faithful reproductions, like the Vector shown at the top of page 1 are the only Vees that offer relatively unfettered access to all 22 frets. Those modeled after the '67 style, in my opinion, offer no better access to the upper frets than an Explorer or Standard. The placement of the neck and fretboard on the body changed significantly between those variants and as a result, the heel sits directly underneath frets 15-17 on the '67 versus the earlier design, in the heel sits underneath fret 19-21.

My take,

both guitar shapes are Rock and Roll. Attention getters.

From personal experience,

Standard / Explorer reaction (s)~ aggresive, authoritative, commands respect, intimidating.

Flying Vee ( model dependent) ~ Pure Rock Band, platform shoes and bell bottoms classic, Rock and Roll.

examples~

Dave Hlubek

Lenny Kravits

Standing up the Vee is surprising comfortable, as i don't have a "set" right hand position. Too slippery for sitting the way I use it. The Standard retains the stand up access, and adds more room for adjustment ,while seated. The Standard requires a LOT of focus to stow, short term.

Archived