Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My (factory) Hamer (Pt 1)


Recommended Posts

Posted

Some of you probably won't appreciate this thread but I love my Hamer. Here it's history & pics...

I got my 1992 Hamer 'Slammer Series' guitar new in 1996 at a cost of £360.00. It had been in the shop window a while & must have been there 2 years before I got it. Mine's a 'Slammer Series' probably built at The Cort Factory in Korea.

Anyway, as good as the guitar was, I wanted to modify it to my spec. So, I imported a Gotoh Floyd from USA (cost £120.00) to replace the original & inferior licensed one. I then had the body re-routed to accept the Gotoh. The work cost £150.00 & at first, I was pleased. After a while I realised that the routing was not that good a job (space between trem/body much too large).

So, I decided to have the rout filled in & have a re-rout (again) then top-mount the Gotoh. Being as the guitar was in a friends workshop, I asked him if he'd do a respray. He did all this work for nothing. I also had some EMG pickups I had knocking about fitted temporarily until I could get my new Tremspaced EMGs (£160.00).

I just fitted the new pickups 2 days ago & the guitar is now how I want it. It's cost around £800.00 but, it's been worth every penny & plays/sounds awesome. I love it...

01: In it's original state minus the tremolo/bridge [lost] (Cost £360.00)...

01Original.jpg

02: Original Duncan Designed (3rd party 'made out of factory' Seymour Duncan SH-6s) Pickups...

02Original_p-ups.jpg

03: Back cavity & electrics...

03Original_back.jpg

04: Original wiring & electrics (guitars are simple things really)...

04Original_wiring.jpg

05: Original headstock...

05Original_headstock.jpg

06: Serial number...

06Original_serial.jpg

07: First modification completed - new 'Gotoh' (Floyd Rose floating bridge/tremolo) fitted (Total: £270.00 inc. routing/fitting)...

07First-modification.jpg

08: Second phase of modification. Let's fill in the trem/bridge cavity & get painting (see pic 2 for comparison)...

08Second-modification_paint.jpg

09: And, lets remove the 'Slammer Series' lettering so it looks more like an authentic US Hamer...

09Second-modification_headstock.jpg

10: I filed the new EMG HZ pickup lugs to fit the cavity (September 2nd 2010)...

10Pickup-modification.jpg

11: And here they are. One of the very best passive pickups you can buy (£80.00 each). Uncovered split-coil & 'tremspaced' very high output humbuckers...

11Pickups.jpg

12: Which replaced these temporary covered & non-tremspaced ones...

12Old-pickups.jpg

13: Here's the body with new pickups installed...

13New-pickups.jpg

14: And the Gotoh is now top-mounted still floating & has a low action (we had to slighlty shim the neck to make this work)...

14Floating-trem.jpg

15: And here she finally is. 14 years of tinkering but finally COMPLETE!

15Finished.jpg

If I could afford a US Hamer, I'd buy one. My Hamer will do for me for now though. I hope you like it...

My other stuff is HERE

Posted

What a change! It looks damn good now.

Posted

yeah, I really liked what you have done. Koreans are very nice guitars too. My first Hamer was a slammer. Bought it in 94' and I still have her. Still has the duncan designs in it.

Be proud of that one. Keep watchin the forum, youll get that deal you need in order to get into a USA

Posted

I did something similar to a Slammer Daytona, only with active EMG's and it didn't need a respray. Turned into a fine guitar. but I just sold it. It's coming home for a visit tomorrow.

Posted

I discovered Hamers around 1984 at my local music shop (Official Hamer UK Retailer) & fell in love with them. Coudn't afford one though & still can't. Love the Standard & any FR laden Hamers. I have to have a US Hamer someday & will get one when I find one. Thanks for the comments - they are very much appreciated :lol:

Posted

Love the color, Vic!

This is a perfect opportunity to ask about something I've wondered for years. In the late 80's my main guitar was a Charvel (Model 3). Charvel's strategy to float the Floyd (at least in the late 80's) was to angle the base of the neck pocket so the neck was tilted. This left the the wood under the Floyd in tact. Ibanez and pretty much everyone else was routing wood from under the Floyd.

So my question is: did filling in the under-trem route make any difference in the tone/attack?

Great job!

Posted

Nice Job, Vic!

Hey- apparrantly you dig the heavy stuff. Do you like the band 'Himsa'? I have the korean Hamer Standard he used on Hail Horror (and three world tours) for sale if you're interested. Let me know and I'll post a pic or a new thread.

:lol:

Geoff

Posted

Wow... tacky... nice :lol:

Still, you could have bought a used Hamer USA Diablo for what you spent on the upgrades. I guess when you start modding you never know what the cost will be at the end of the day.

Posted

So my question is: did filling in the under-trem route make any difference in the tone/attack?

About as much as emptying the loose change out of your pocket !

Posted

velorush I couldn't possibly say as I removed the pickups a year ago & have installed new ones this week. The original Duncan Designed HB-103 pickups were rather dull (Supposedly based on the SD SH-6 Distortion). The EMG HZs I just put in blow the old p-ups away & it sounds much better now. It is louder when not plugged in though & I can play it like an acoustic (loudest unpowered electric guitar I've ever heard)...

geoff_hartwell Thankyou kindly for the offer of the Korean Standard Geoff but I'm not after a non-US Hamer. As much as I like the Korean ones, I have to have a US one. My wonderful partner, Michèle, insists I acquire 'the cream of the crop'...

jon67 I guess so huh! The money spent includes the purchase price (£360.00) & the modifications have been spread over a period of around 2 years so, the money spent wasn't too noticable. I'm delighted with the modifications & it was worth every penny. I think my Hamer will replace my Jackson DK2M as my studio guitar. I'm also considering selling my Jackson & putting the money towards a US Hamer...

Punkavenger Now that would be dedication yes. It's not taken that long & the work has been done over the last 2 years. I only got the Hamer back 2 years ago (was at my ex-wifes since 2005). It came back to me minus the trem/bridge (licensed FR) & back-plates (I had new ones made)...

All I really didn't expect this amount of positive feedback. Thank you :lol:

PS: My ideal Hamer would a US model with a Floyd Rose & boomerang (is that correct?) fretboard inlays...

Posted

Ello m8, I reckon a Cali, Chap or maybe blitz would be perfect for you - even a TLE Custom (I had one for a bit) if you can find one!

I'll keep an eye out on the usual channels for something in the UK for you!

Cheers,

Benner

Posted

Ello m8, I reckon a Cali, Chap or maybe blitz would be perfect for you - even a TLE Custom (I had one for a bit) if you can find one!

I'll keep an eye out on the usual channels for something in the UK for you!

Cheers,

Benner

Thanks Benner. That would be brilliant. Vic...

PS: Given a choice, I'd go for a Cali

Posted

That's a fairly insane amount of money to drop into an import seeing for £800 you could get 2 US Hamer shredders :lol:

Posted

That's a fairly insane amount of money to drop into an import seeing for £800 you could get 2 US Hamer shredders :lol:

That may be so Jem but I've looked high & low for a US Hamer for the last 2 years & there aren't any to be had. I could go to Germany & pay £600.00 for a 90s Chap but with import duty, shipping & insurance, it would cost around £800.00 total.

My import may seem expensive but as mentioned, the £800.00 spent includes £360.00 of it being the original purchase price. A US Hamer would have cost around £600.00 in the 1980's - this is the UK - tax on tax on tax on tax (highest taxes anywhere) & the biggest rip-off country in the world.

I'm sure I could get a US Hamer for a better price in the US. However, I have to pay shipping, insurance & import tax to get it here & that will cost around £175.00 ($260.00). I've been looking for years & they're aren't that many around.

Cheers, Vic...

Posted

So my question is: did filling in the under-trem route make any difference in the tone/attack?

About as much as emptying the loose change out of your pocket !

:D:lol::wub:

Posted

That's a fairly insane amount of money to drop into an import seeing for £800 you could get 2 US Hamer shredders :lol:

That may be so Jem but I've looked high & low for a US Hamer for the last 2 years & there aren't any to be had. I could go to Germany & pay £600.00 for a 90s Chap but with import duty, shipping & insurance, it would cost around £800.00 total.

My import may seem expensive but as mentioned, the £800.00 spent includes £360.00 of it being the original purchase price. A US Hamer would have cost around £600.00 in the 1980's - this is the UK - tax on tax on tax on tax (highest taxes anywhere) & the biggest rip-off country in the world.

I'm sure I could get a US Hamer for a better price in the US. However, I have to pay shipping, insurance & import tax to get it here & that will cost around £175.00 ($260.00). I've been looking for years & they're aren't that many around.

Cheers, Vic...

There was an extremely clean Diablo on Ebay six weeks or so ago, went for around £475 and a Chaparell that went for about the same and the graphic Blitz bass (ok, it's a bass) with LED's all working that was under £400 a few months back, Ben himself picked up a nice straight Cali standard for, well, lets say a bargain price and again in the UK six months or so back. Just for myself i've brought 3 Cali's at incredibly good money off of UK Ebay, and one off Loot and this is without going into the Vectors, Specials, Phantom's and Steve Stevens that i've brought in the UK. OK, things like Scarab's and FBII's are rare over here (i know of 4 out of the 50-100 FB's ever made are here and 2 are mine that i imported from Germany and Switzerland) but they're rare everywhere and apart from the Nocturne's that i make myself, i've used nothing but Hamer since 1984 (over 40+ and i've still got around 20) so believe you me i know they're out there.

Sorry, it does sound like i'm having a go but honestly, i don't know where you were looking that you haven't seen anything for sale for 2 years.

And just in case you're tempted: avoid anything that comes frrom that guy in Germany (the one with the fruitgum font'd listings) it's all had a hard life and he wants absolutely top money and he will not negotiate.

Posted

That's a fairly insane amount of money to drop into an import seeing for £800 you could get 2 US Hamer shredders :lol:

That may be so Jem but I've looked high & low for a US Hamer for the last 2 years & there aren't any to be had. I could go to Germany & pay £600.00 for a 90s Chap but with import duty, shipping & insurance, it would cost around £800.00 total.

My import may seem expensive but as mentioned, the £800.00 spent includes £360.00 of it being the original purchase price. A US Hamer would have cost around £600.00 in the 1980's - this is the UK - tax on tax on tax on tax (highest taxes anywhere) & the biggest rip-off country in the world.

I'm sure I could get a US Hamer for a better price in the US. However, I have to pay shipping, insurance & import tax to get it here & that will cost around £175.00 ($260.00). I've been looking for years & they're aren't that many around.

Cheers, Vic...

There was an extremely clean Diablo on Ebay six weeks or so ago, went for around £475 and a Chaparell that went for about the same and the graphic Blitz bass (ok, it's a bass) with LED's all working that was under £400 a few months back, Ben himself picked up a nice straight Cali standard for, well, lets say a bargain price and again in the UK six months or so back. Just for myself i've brought 3 Cali's at incredibly good money off of UK Ebay, and one off Loot and this is without going into the Vectors, Specials, Phantom's and Steve Stevens that i've brought in the UK. OK, things like Scarab's and FBII's are rare over here (i know of 4 out of the 50-100 FB's ever made are here and 2 are mine that i imported from Germany and Switzerland) but they're rare everywhere and apart from the Nocturne's that i make myself, i've used nothing but Hamer since 1984 (over 40+ and i've still got around 20) so believe you me i know they're out there.

Sorry, it does sound like i'm having a go but honestly, i don't know where you were looking that you haven't seen anything for sale for 2 years.

And just in case you're tempted: avoid anything that comes frrom that guy in Germany (the one with the fruitgum font'd listings) it's all had a hard life and he wants absolutely top money and he will not negotiate.

No worries Jem & no, I don't think you're having a go. I've obviously been unlucky in my searches. Of course, I'm not on my PC looking all the time. Sure something will turn up. Yeah, that guy in Germany. Just had a convo with my bassist about him & mentioned that I just don't have a good feeling about him - I will steer well clear. If yer getting rid of anything, buzz me 1st will yer (I'll even drive up to get it)...

Posted

Yep, they are definately out there - I was sorely tempted by the granite cent that was on here for 375 bucks - even including transport and duty into the uk , that was top value - the Cali standard I found was top value including the original case - the guy I got it from was a student who had had it for yonks. Found it on a totally random ads website - even so, some of the US HFC guys had seen it, and I was lucky to snag it. Cool guitar as well - even if the missus likes the stripey ones more! She's a bit flame blind..!

I reckon you could get something awesome - cent, diablo for example for under £500 - might have to forgo the boomers though...

My posh cent from Austin was great value even imported to the uk - no Boomers - but I don't think there were many solid maple ones made.

I'll keep my eyes peels and whack whatever I can find on as a PSA for you.

You'll occasionally see Hamer shredders in the back of Guitarist mag as well, or on musicradar.com...

B

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...