Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best Les Paul Copy?

I always wanted a Les Paul. But, the Gibsons I look at are crap, junk, followed by trash. Got me thinking. I'm only thinking here. I probably won't make a purchase because I'm happy as hell with my Hamer Studios. But, if I were to select a Les Paul copy - which ones are loved? Not that it's a copy, but I played the Monaco and (call me goofy) I didn't like the step under the neck at all. I don't consider the singlecut PRSs a copy, either. I'm talking: Ibanez copy, Tokai, etc - "genuine" set-neck copies. What are the decent copies?

I've seen photos of Slash's Les Paul copy that was very sweet.

Thanks...

Oddly enough, I just purchased a LP copy for my studio at school. I had never heard of the brand before, but I got a good deal on an Austin at a local store. St. Louis Music, distributors of Crate amps, distributes these guitars, but that's all I know about them. Being a bit of brand snob, I was hesitant to even pick it up, but I got over my snobbishness in a hurry! This thing smokes every Epiphone I've played, and I've played some NICE Epis, and it also smokes many Gibsons I've played. The construction is solid, the hardware seems good, the action and the sound are to die for. I don't know if this particular guitar is a freak, or if all of their instruments are this good, but it's definitely one to check out sometime.

You prolly can't go wrong with any of the high-end Japanese copies: Burny, ESP, Tokai, Orville, Bacchus. You get a lot of guitar *for the money (right, TomBo?)*, but they'll never replace a real LP.

It took me a long time to find a decent LP. My current '04 (thanks FrankieII) is a really nice example. I ditched the crap Gibson Klusons and installed TonePros Klusons. Much tighter tolerances and the stems are tall enough for more than one string-wrap. Did the TOM/stoptail w/TonePros, too.

Waiting for a pair of Peter Green Haussels from JJPaul. The circle shall be complete...

Seriously, though, if you keep looking you'll find a nice LP. Unlike Hamers, you have to plow through a stack until you find a keeper. I'm glad I kept looking, almost gave up.

You prolly can't go wrong with any of the high-end Japanese copies: Burny, ESP, Tokai, Orville, Bacchus.

:D

i agree with Rob

randy :D

That's funny. I've played 4 Hamer Studios. 3 kicked ass, one didn't float my boat fully. I own two of the good ones. I've handled probably 25 Les Pauls and found maybe 2 that I liked. One was a used one at GC and it was gone in a day. The other one was a new one at another shop. All the others had substantial problems - and for that price, that's bad. Imagine if cars were like that..."Well, you'll have to fish through several of these BMWs before you find a well built one..." Wha?

Thanks for the info, by the way.

I can't attest to the quality of Bacchus LPs in particular, but I can attest to the jaw-dropping build quality of my Bacchus BFV-58. IIRC, there was somebody on the board who knew of a store in Japan that had 2 clean used versions for sale that I only backed out of due to insane shipping prices. I wish I could rethink THAT decision!

A while back I bought a Burny Super Grade (LP Standard copy) from a guy over in the Dean forum and never looked back. Les Pauls have never been my thing since I've got super sausage fingers and can't get up to the high frets, but it's a screamer and beats the crap out of most real LPs I've had my hands on. Duncans, good pots, top shelf hardware (and from 10 feet away it looks like it actually says Les Paul :o ) makes me happy! :D

Just a li'l pron :D

mmmmmmflamey033.jpg

Dude I can hook you up! :D

http://www.freddysfrets.com/

Without logo.

http://www.jagneauxguitars.com/

With logo, priced about the same as a LP Classic.

Both with awesome quality.

My Tokai LC-60 is pretty special. Last week there was a Love Rock at the local Guitarget for $499, just a little beat up. I'll have to get some good pictures of it sometime.

loverock2.jpg

and the hang tag that was in the case pocket, -too cool!

loverockscan.jpg

I had a 76 Ibanez that was very good. The prices on these have gone up a lot lately.

I also had an Agile that was a surprisingly good guitar for the money. Is it the quality of a $2,000 guitar, NO, but it will get you in the ball park. They are certainly better quality than most of the Epiphones I have played.

I also feel there is no substitute for a real Lester. That being said, I've owned (and still own) a couple of early eighties Tokai LP copies. They really are fantastic if you can find an original. The problem is others have discovered the true "soul" of these gems as well and the prices are climbing daily.

Funny.... I wouldn't have given them a second look back then! You know... the dreaded Japanese LP copy :D

You prolly can't go wrong with any of the high-end Japanese copies: Burny, ESP, Tokai, Orville, Bacchus. You get a lot of guitar *for the money (right, TomBo?)*, but they'll never replace a real LP.

It took me a long time to find a decent LP. My current '04 (thanks FrankieII) is a really nice example. I ditched the crap Gibson Klusons and installed TonePros Klusons. Much tighter tolerances and the stems are tall enough for more than one string-wrap. Did the TOM/stoptail w/TonePros, too.

Waiting for a pair of Peter Green Haussels from JJPaul. The circle shall be complete...

Seriously, though, if you keep looking you'll find a nice LP. Unlike Hamers, you have to plow through a stack until you find a keeper. I'm glad I kept looking, almost gave up.

I beg to differ a just a little.

IMHO, ESP Japan replaces anything.

The ESP Eclipse is "close" in shape, and will outplay just about anything. Featherweight too.

And ESP makes the Edwards brand for Japan, I suppose to avoid having a lawsuit damaging the ESP brand. Not an excellent guitar "for the money". An amazing Les Paul for any money.

I have a white Greco "Randy Rhoads" LPC style that RULES! Factory Dimarzios and quality electronics.

I also have an ESP Edwards that will never leave me.

I have one of the Edwards Jimmy Page models. I purchased it from katana guitars in Japan. Shipping was high, but I had it in 3 days. It's a smoking guitar and super light (under 8 lbs.). Most of the Edwards that I've seen are under 9 lbs. and the quality is very consistent. You can check out the models here:

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html

Look at the "Original Series" and "Lacquer Taste" for the LP copies. Ishabishi guitars in Japan is real easy to work with (http://www.ishibashi.co.jp - look for the "In English" tab up top). I got a quote for a gold top LP copy w/ Duncan P-90's. It was going to cost me about $725 shipped. Other basic LP copies are in the same ballpark.

curry

Guest galejt

This one is for sale over on the Weber BBS.

http://www.webervst.com/bns/messages/22451.html

Im selling my Edwards Les Paul. Its a ELP85SD model, circa 2000, serial number written by hand on the neck pickup cavity (4064 if I remember).

Wow, the wood on this one is *stunning* with an amazing grain (not talking about the top!). 1-piece mahogany body, 1-piece mahogany neck. Both are cut angled, which is supposed to bring out the best resonance and strenght. Thick flame maple top. LONG NECK TENON (see pictures, the pickup cavity has been cleaned since). Chunky neck!

Superb flame top. Top notch hardware (Gotoh). Excellent playability. Pro fret leveling 3 months ago.

And the tone... OMG... you can really feel the long neck tenon energy transfer ; it has a particular deep resonance near the neck joint/pickup. Electronic cavity features stock NOBLES pots and orange drop capacitors.

The pickups are Dimarzio Virtual PAF. I tried '59/JB, Antiquities and Seth Lover : the V-PAF are the perfect tone match in this guitar.

The guitar has only 1 ding, lower back-side corner (near jack). About 1 inch. Happened during its long travel from Japan to my house.

Im asking 575$ + actual shipping cost. Will ship in a large box with gigbag and lots of packing stuff. I can provide Gibson USA hardshell case for 100$ more.

post-2-1149735924_thumb.jpg

Killer Guitars was originally formed by an ESP luthier defector and Akira Takasaki of Loudness. I hear they are now somehow directly affiliated with ESP - I'd guess they bought Killer out or something.

In keeping with the theme of the thread kinda: I read an interview in one of the guitar mags with Akira back in the day (circa '85 when he was being promoted as Japan's version of EVH) and he was talking about his main guitar, an ESP Random Star. It was the red Charvel Star copy with the jagged mirror pieces on the face.

He basically said (in his weak English) that he had tried different Dimarzios and Duncans, but his favorite humbuckers were Gibson "puffs"

Milky.gif

M.Z.A!

Archived