Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PRSs--Are they worth the High Prices?

Ted

I've only played a few high end PRSs and they were nice, but I didn't think in any way better than the Hamers I've played.

Obviously they have more finish options, but I was interested to see what Yall felt about them in general.

Ted

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only played a few high end PRSs and they were nice, but I didn't think in any way better than the Hamers I've played.

Obviously they have more finish options, but I was interested to see what Yall felt about them in general.

Ted

I sold my McCarty Rosewood and bought 3 Hamers! Best deal ever!

Buy used and you'll do fine price-wise. Hell, have you priced out a new Hamer lately? :o I personally would never buy anything of theirs without a trem (comparable Hamers are more my speed), but their trems are very nice and it's hard to find something comparable when it comes to those models.

-Austin

Ted

I think you'll find quite a few here that prefer PRS to Hamer.

A used non-crazy-boutique-extrafancytop-artist-reeserve-eagle-blah-blah-blah PRS can be had in the same basic price range as a used nice Hamer, at least within a few hundred bucks.

Obviously it's all subjective, but my recent Custom 24 was my favorite electric of any I have owned. I had a huge bias against PRS and only reluctantly tried one to appease a PRS freak friend of mine. I had to admit defeat - the guitar was damn near perfect. Great tones, lots of tones, perfect fit and finish, and as Austin said, a trem! Not just any trem, either, but the smoothest most perfect trem I have ever put my hands on.

I won't be buying any limited edition high end stupid money PRS guitars, but I am now all over their normal stuff.

FWIW

Ted

I think you'll find quite a few here that prefer PRS to Hamer.

Why do you prefer The PRSs?

there is a law of diminishing returns as prices get higher for guitars anyway, no matter who manufactures them. Most of my PRS's have cost me less than $1500. I paid about $1400 for a brand new Mira. What would the equivalent Hamer cost, if they made one just like that?

Private stock PRS is stupid money of course, Hamer is much more reasonable when it comes to more customized work, although PRS will build pretty much anything if you pony up.

the uber-swank PRS's don't do much for me, but the garden variety guitars are perfect. Hamer doesn't exactly sell a "street" 24 fret, assymetrical double cut, trem equipped guitar these days, and the normal PRS design balances perfect and the necks feel great to me. Can't ask for much more than that.

PRS is also a pretty decent company, so I don't have problems supporting them. Paul Reed Smith is just as excited about building excellent guitars as Jol. The company has also been one of the few to continue to push guitar technology in new directions, whether its something like the 513 or the new MVC stuff. It's nice to see them trying new stuff. It's also nice that they don't just keep making swank guitars, but that they are willing to introduce new guitars like the Mira.

Yeah, I like PRS obviously, they are "my" guitar brand as much as Mesa is "my" amp brand. In both cases it's because the companies produce what works and feels good for me. I like Hamer too, they make fantastic guitars, but I'm not so much into "better Gibsons". Someday I'll probably grab a NewPort or a Duotone though.

I sold my McCarty Rosewood and bought 3 Hamers! Best deal ever!

I have a friend that has a number of PRSs, among them is a Rosewood McCarty.

<I know: "What! You have a friend?"> :o

The Rosewood for me stands out in the flock that he has. The notes just sing.

I played another Rosewood McCarty at Elderly the other day. Same sweetness... Dang...

That's all i can say...

Dang...

Guest pirateflynn

I own several really nice Hamers.

I gig with my PRSs.

I just sold my awesome Hamer Standard Custom because I hadn't opened the case in two years.

There ya go.

That's not a very good explanation. What's the reason?

I gig with my PRSs.

I just sold my awesome Hamer Standard Custom because I hadn't opened the case in two years.

There ya go.

I get sounds I like better (probably a combination of pickups, wiring and 25" scale), the trem is second to none (nothing comparable on a Hamer), I get a greater variety of tones with the 5 way switch, the ergonomics feel great, the wide fat neck is the best ever etc....

Oh, I wouldn't replace my Artist Custom with a PRS Hollowbody though.

Guest pirateflynn

I gig with my PRSs.

There ya go.

I get sounds I like better (probably a combination of pickups, wiring and 25" scale), the trem is second to none (nothing comparable on a Hamer), I get a greater variety of tones with the 5 way switch, the ergonomics feel great, the wide fat neck is the best ever etc....

Oh, I wouldn't replace my Artist Custom with a PRS Hollowbody though.

I'm definately with you on the trem. I had a little trouble with the 25" scale but I know a lot of guys dig it. No doubt there are some pretty PRS guitars.

If you want a trem, a PRS is the one to get. I had a custom ordered Studio Custom with tremelo, and replaced it with a regular CU22. The five way pickup switch gives me humbucking and single coil tones, too.

One of my old Phantoms is my first choice for gigging, but the spare is usually a PRS.

So, get a used PRS. One with.......a ding. The typical PRS guy will want nothing to do with it, and the price will reflect it.

So, get a used PRS. One with.......a ding. The typical PRS guy will want nothing to do with it, and the price will reflect it.

So true...

BTW - I really dig my goldtop McCarty!

Mi humble opinion, having had many of each:

-Hamers play better, and usually sound better too (to me)

-PRS are much prettier, in an enough high degree to make them preferable to me

-Ultimately, I have dumped both for new Gibsons: they are making their best stuff in ages, such that there is no reason to have an "alternative" to Gibsons, which has really been the "leit motiv" of both brands since their inception.

So, get a used PRS. One with.......a ding.

I love pre-dinged PRS's. Immediately makes it easy to treat it like a tool instead of some work of art. My #1 PRS got a couple of new dings on the headstock when I moved into this house... courtesy of a low ceiling and a ceiling fan. :o

So, get a used PRS. One with.......a ding.

I love pre-dinged PRS's. Immediately makes it easy to treat it like a tool instead of some work of art. My #1 PRS got a couple of new dings on the headstock when I moved into this house... courtesy of a low ceiling and a ceiling fan. :o

Sounds like you had a good time!!! :lol:

I owned a custom 22 for a while. I loved it at first, but the longer I had it, the worse I thought it sounded, and the worse I thought it played. I think I was more in love with the guitars looks than anything. I now own 3 Hamer (soon to be 4) two G&L's and an ESP. This is a personal choice, but I will never let the beauty of a PRS seduce me again:) On the positive side that guitar held its value. I paid 2900 for it and sold it for 2850. I can't think of any guitar that I have ever owned, that held its value like that.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

The only thing I have against PRS are that their designs are almost always butt ugly.

1) The shape of their headstocks look like ass.

2) The body design is comfortable, but to many Nu Metal guitarists used them in the 90-s. I don't see myself ever owning a guitar that is associated with Fred Durst.

3) Their neck heels (on the ones I've tried) have been huge compared to my Hamer´s, (which have the best neck heel design on the market).

4) They have birds on the fretboards. To me that is new age. I am not a new age guy. I am not even religious. But I think that is a big reason I don't like them. Birds, makes me laugh. If an inlays should be anything else than a dot or a block it should be a Toni Iomi upside down cross, dragons, Homer Simpsons face, Poes ass.. anything but birds and dolphins. New age sucks!!! :o

The only thing I have against PRS are that their designs are almost always butt ugly.

1) The shape of their headstocks look like ass.

2) The body design is comfortable, but to many Nu Metal guitarists used them in the 90-s. I don't see myself ever owning a guitar that is associated with Fred Durst.

3) Their neck heels (on the ones I've tried) have been huge compared to my Hamer´s, (which have the best neck heel design on the market).

4) They have birds on the fretboards. To me that is new age. I am not a new age guy. I am not even religious. But I think that is a big reason I don't like them. Birds, makes me laugh. If an inlays should be anything else than a dot or a block it should be a Toni Iomi upside down cross, dragons, Homer Simpsons face, Poes ass.. anything but birds and dolphins. New age sucks!!! :o

1) I know many who won't buy a Hamer because they hate the headstock.

2) Well, ok.

3) You sound like Ed Roman. ;-) Same argument I heard about the "shelf" on the Hamer singlecuts. Funny, the heel on the PRS never feels big and the shelf on my Monaco Elite is a non-issue too.

4) You can get almost every PRS model with dots/moons.

I have to admit I like PRSi now but never had much use for them in the past. My FM is doing "PRS" duty right now and is outfitted with coil taps a Custom 5 in place of the JB. Still I like the balance and trem of the PRS Custom 22 better than what the Hamer offers and buy a PRS when the right used one comes along. I think a Custom 22 trem combined with my Clapton Strat and H&K Switchblade would be the ideal cover band rig.

Archived