Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Whos your greatest influence?

ScubaMarket

I'll take Blackmore, Van Halen, Lynch, Sykes, Rabin, and Gilmour.

What I wish I was better at isn't the fast stuff. It's the ability to play the hard blues/rock electric guitar

s-l-o-w-ly like the British players can (and they always could) Gilmour, Blackmore, Clapton-the whole bunch can play very slowly and still have dynamics that are unbelievable. Gibbons is an American that can do it. IMO.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall seeing Joe Perry on the list.

Probably the greatest American Rock band. Others come close, but Aerosmith has had the same line up for 40 years.

Just great, great Rock n roll without the pretentious drama that the Brits brought with them.

Tough to nail down one, there were/are so many. Townshend, Gilmour and The Edge are definitely up there as are a lot of 80's metal players. Definite +1 for all the guys I've played with over the years.

Page, Gilmour and Hendrix are my sonic daydream favorites. Greatest influence? What little this special olympian with frostbite can actually dial in or play is entirely due to the Job-like patience of our own HardHeartedBill.

Tom.jpg

What a great picture. Where did you get that? B)

Aerosmith has had the same line up for 40 years.

Just great, great Rock n roll without the pretentious drama that the Brits brought with them.

Both statements are inaccurate.

In no particular order...

Electric: Jeff Beck, Hiram Bullock, Mike Stern, Andy Summers, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Luke, Billy Gibbons

Acoustic: Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Michael Hedges, Monte Montgomery, Tommy Emmanuel, Andrew York

Life: Chris Matthes!!!

Skynyrd was one of my favorites. Had the large poster on my door. I lived/breathed Skynyrd.

Saw Rossington Collins Band at NJ. Large arena.

About 1986 saw them again, minus Allen Collins in a small venue in Texas.

Gary looked very coked up for the show. I stood there looking at him face to face and he had that look of uninvolved discernment with me. I felt kinda sad. My hero was less than human.

I can trade for an SG signed by him, but I'm not that interested.

Another small venue I saw Nazarath and right before the guitarist kicked in the lead for Now your Messin, he looked right at me and I had an out of body sort of experience.

On the Joe Perry point in an earlier post...I agree wholeheartedly. Perry is a larger part of this than he's getting credit for.

On the acoustic/country/folk side the name I see missing is Maybelle Carter.... and then if we listen to the real old Flatt and Scruggs stuff (from the 50's) Earl Scruggs just dominates a Banjo. He's EVH 25 years earlier. The man is an alien.

Archived