Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

In current rotation -

John Waite - Best

Ratt - Infestation

Cheap Trick - Cheap Trick '77

ZZ Top - The First Album

Cry of Love - Brother (RIP Kelly Holland)

Kings X - Live at London (due to the recent 12 string thread)

Hamerica

Love Henry Vestine's two guitar solos, start about 4:30 mark. The fuzz tone is so dry and cool - especially the second solo where the fuzz is feeding back and getting half-gated/spitty at the same time (insert fist-pump icon here).

Edited by gtone

Well, it was actually yesterday, which turned into a good day for spinning.

AMER_90199__32120__01152009114732-4875.j

51PDqm6cXML._SS500_.jpg

81SCNzS0JsL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by JohnnyB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although Muddy gets the credit for popularizing electric blues, the Chess Brothers had him make an all-acoustic album in 1964 when folk singers were all the rage. In this commercial venture they came out with a masterpiece, superbly recorded, with Muddy on vocals and acoustic slide, and Chess's legendary sidemen at the time--Willie Dixon on bass, Clifton James on drums, and Buddy Guy, this time on acoustic guitar. Chess did a similar thing with Howlin' Wolf, "The Real Folk Blues."

tempAAPB_1483__105482__04232015125111-47

• Like 3

My wife mentioned that he works with a Doctor Wu at the VA hospital, so I just had to spin this for her (side 1, track 5) last night. This morning I spun the entire album for me. I have all seven studio albums on vinyl (1972-1980) and I feel a binge-listen coming on.

81z2OpFewxL._SY355_.jpg

And this recently came out on a gorgeous 2LP release. I bought the CD when it came out 19 years ago and it still gets regular play. But the LP version--so lush! It just came in the mail today and I'm spinning it as I type.

charlie_haden_and_pat_metheny_beyond_the

• Like 3

My wife mentioned that he works with a Doctor Wu at the VA hospital, so I just had to spin this for her (side 1, track 5) last night. This morning I spun the entire album for me. I have all seven studio albums on vinyl (1972-1980) and I feel a binge-listen coming on.

81z2OpFewxL._SY355_.jpg

And this recently came out on a gorgeous 2LP release. I bought the CD when it came out 19 years ago and it still gets regular play. But the LP version--so lush! It just came in the mail today and I'm spinning it as I type.

charlie_haden_and_pat_metheny_beyond_the

Have to pull those out and give them a listen again. I have a record collection that started back in the early 70's and now totals 893 albums.

41oCHMe4DcL.jpg

Christmas Island by Leon Redbone.

I was at a thrift store last week and picked this CD up for fifty cents because I don't have a lot of holiday music in my collection. It's actually pretty good.

• Like 1

Finally got around to spinning this yesterday. All four sides. What fun this album is! Excellent sound quality too. He has some excellent and reputable side men in his combo, including tenor sax Pete Christlieb, who played the sax parts in Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues" and drummer Bill Goodwin, who played with vibist Gary Burton on some challenging fusion albums years before Miles Davis ever thought of it.

2188.jpg

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 2

Keeping with my Tom Waits binge, I'm currently spinning Swordfishtrombones.

I love this crazy thing. This was quite a stepping off point from his previous recordings. He switched labels from Asylum to Island and produced his own album for the first time. The songs are more introspective and emotionally compelling without the retro schtick of his earlier albums, while the accompaniment went from beat generation coffeehouse jazz to something entirely different, often reminiscent of turn of early 20th century band instruments. Picture a singing barfly accompanied by a Salvation Army Band that's sometimes on acid. That's the closest I can come to describing it.

tom_waits-swordfishtrombones3.jpg

My copy came most generously from Ernie Santella (aka santellavision). Just when I was getting back into LP playback, he was getting out. He had not only good taste in music but was a stickler for well recorded and mastered LPs. On that count (among others) this thing just rocks. He took requests from the HFC and I was the recipient of 17 pristine albums for the low cost of USPS media mail. I got quite a bit of the Rolling Stones discography from that shipment as well.

I'm going to listen to Swordfishtrombones in its entirety again tomorrow to start getting a sense of the arc and flow of the entire album. I'm hooked, and I wish I could invite you all over for a listen, because these panel speakers I got really bring it!

50ab29e12a4bb22086e14c15401fd73b.jpg

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

My wife is a big opera fan; he father was an accomplished baritone and did some Broadway and opera. Pavarotti is her favorite tenor. This past weekend we spun her two favorite operas. I have the vinyl of both. Both written by Puccini with Pavarotti singing the tenor lead. Turandot features the solo, Nessun Dorma, which became Pavarotti's signature song. He had to sing it every time he gave a recital, and it was a highlight in the "Three Tenors" performances. Jeff Beck also played it as an instrumental on his Emotion & Commotion album.

A1Tu0tZtZxL._SY355_.jpg91tTRIpgAvL._SX355_.jpg

Monday, puttering around the house by myself, it turned into Dire Straight day, also on vinyl:

The first is their self-titled album. Side 2 opens with Sultans of Swing. This was followed by Brothers in Arms. Both have fantastic sound quality. The airy wordless vocal harmonies on the opening track, So Far Away, grab my attention every time.

815-cxELCoL._SX355_.jpg41IgcIYzy3L._SX425_.jpg

• Like 1

Just picked up the latest Lagwagon disc, Hang. Really digging it. Had never heard of these guys until recently. Fantastic band.

I'm also listening to the Teenage Time Killers CD. A very different flavor of punk, but also great. I love anything the COC guys touch.