Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
pirateflynn

What's Spinnin' ..

Recommended Posts

On 9/11/2019 at 6:12 PM, JohnnyB said:

a 2-speaker mono arrangement (especially if the speakers are dipole or bipolar) throws a realistic sense of a room-filling soundstage.

A little known piece of trivia is that the Klipsch Heresy was originally designed and sold in the '50s as a mono center channel speaker. Later as they became popular, they began to sell in pairs as stereo bookshelf speakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

A little known piece of trivia is that the Klipsch Heresy was originally designed and sold in the '50s as a mono center channel speaker. Later as they became popular, they began to sell in pairs as stereo bookshelf speakers. 

Yeah, I thought about that when I finished posting. Also, in the early days of stereo recording, they recorded in 3-track--left, right, and center. 

In fact, here's Frank Sinatra's state-of-the-art 3-channel stereo setup back in the day:

singer-frank-sinatra-adjusting-his-hifi-

 

 

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Yeah, I thought about that when I finished posting. Also, in the early days of stereo recording, they recorded in 3-track--left, right, and center. 

In fact, here's Frank Sinatra's state-of-the-art 3-channel stereo setup back in the day:

singer-frank-sinatra-adjusting-his-hifi-

The man had great taste. Cornwalls! I owned a pair in the '80s. Beautiful sounding.

At second glance, no. They look like Cornwalls, but they're custom enclosures. NICE!

Edited by gtrdaddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

The man had great taste. Cornwalls! I owned a pair in the '80s. Beautiful sounding.

At second glance, no. They look like Cornwalls, but they're custom enclosures. NICE!

Also, the stereo LP wasn't produced until 1958, but some studios made and marketed stereo recordings on 3-track stereo tape. That's what Frank is threading up in the picture. Notice that the front panel of the R2R tape machine features controls and meters for three channels. This was cost-no-object high-end home audio in the mid-'50s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Also, the stereo LP wasn't produced until 1958, but some studios made and marketed stereo recordings on 3-track stereo tape. That's what Frank is threading up in the picture. Notice that the front panel of the R2R tape machine features controls and meters for three channels. This was cost-no-object high-end home audio in the mid-'50s.

The McIntosh gear he's got is real sweet. If I could find a survivor set for less than a small fortune I'd be all over it. C22 tube preamp is wicked nice sounding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

The McIntosh gear he's got is real sweet. If I could find a survivor set for less than a small fortune I'd be all over it. C22 tube preamp is wicked nice sounding!

Here ya go.  
Price:  US $5,695.00

You're welcome. :D

spacer.png

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

The C22 puts that photo early-mid '60s.

I just ran the C22 in a Mac production history page. The C22 was in production from 1963-1968 and retailed for $279. Adjusted for inflation that comes to a Sinatra-sized $2339.21.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Whadda guy!

I'm here for ya, dude. :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                                                                                                               I knew.................... I have it................................looking at the LP right now.:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ARM OF HAMER said:

                                                                                                               I knew.................... I have it................................looking at the LP right now.:)

I bought it at Sam Goody’s the week it was released. I wanted to go to the concert but that didn’t happen.

Bruce Springsteen’s Mitch Ryder/Little Richard medley (Detroit Medley) - Devil with a Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly/Jenny Take a Ride is not only the Boss’ first live performance put on a record, but is one of the most energetic performances ever IMO! It is timeless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I bought it at Sam Goody’s the week it was released. I wanted to go to the concert but that didn’t happen.

Bruce Springsteen’s Mitch Ryder/Little Richard medley (Detroit Medley) - Devil with a Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly/Jenny Take a Ride is not only the Boss’ first live performance put on a record, but is one of the most energetic performances ever IMO! It is timeless!

                                                                                                                            It IS timeless and a great recording!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_0156.JPG

Self-described. Love the Coop!

IMG_0157.JPG

If you don't move when this spins, you're a corpse.

IMG_0158.JPG

Reminds me of smoking bud. Classic stoner-rap.

IMG_0159.JPG   

2LPs. Nice collection for when I don't feel like dragging out all my JC albums.

IMG_0160.JPG

"The Smile Sessions", 2xMono LPs. What can be said?

Edited by RobB
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_0164.JPG

This shit is cold-BLOODED!

IMG_0165.JPG

Yeah, I know, but I found a really clean copy on thick vinyl. No inserts, though.

IMG_0166.JPG

"East St. Louis Toodle-oo." I've got the original on a mono, Duke Ellington box with Bubber Miley and his muted trumpet (cornet?).

IMG_0167.JPG

East Bay power-poppers. Never broke out (Tommy Tutone did...), but every album is great. Gonna see them Nov. 1 in S.F.!

IMG_0168.JPG

The Greatest Band, pound-for-pound! Just too good.

Edited by RobB
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie Hazel on guitar

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, RobB said:

If you don't move when this spins, you're a corpse.

IMG_0158.JPG

Reminds me of smoking bud. Classic stoner-rap.

Man, the "Wild Thing" video was all over MTV at the time. It was a visual spoof on Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love."

IMG_0160.JPG

"The Smile Sessions", 2xMono LPs. What can be said?

What a gorgeous, lush-sounding album! I gave it a complete spin last Monday and will probably do it again tomorrow. 

IMG_0165.JPG

I have the 2003 30th anniversary remaster/reissue. Bought it soon after buying my first turntable in 31 years. Glad I did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

soon after buying my first turntable in 31 years. Glad I did.

What ‘table did your M5G replace?

Edited by gtrdaddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...