Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shishkov Appreciation Thread

BTMN

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad Ted was being satirical......I liked those descriptions...lol!

It's "S-H-L-A-B-O-T-N-I-K," and he's 100% serious.

"I do. The Ultimates will come with a custom set of the legendary Shlobotnik Pickups wound exclusively for Shishkov Guitars by Josh Gravelin.

If he's really gonna ™ the Sh-word, we need to standardize the spelling. Ted, who I thought was in the know, spelled it with an "o" and not an "a" it seems.

When edgar_allan_poe and I created the legend of reclusive pickup winder extraordinaire, Joe Shlabotnik, I took the name from Charlie Brown's favorite Baseball player. So, believe me, it's "Shalbotnik."

Not the end of the world. I'm sure he'll correct it when it's time to put it on the Web site or whatever.

Ted and the Matthi had the idea of using the Shlabotnik name for the pickups as a nod and wink to us HFC veterans, and Poe and I were thrilled to give the thumbs up.

Poe and I also found it incredibly hilarious over the years how many otherwise intelligent people (and you know who you are) thought these "handmade, incredibly rare and unbelievably expensive" pickups actually existed.

We received emails and personal messages offering money and trade bait so that they could get a pair.

To say it was entertaining is a tremendous understatement and we're pretty geeked to see the legend live on.

:D

Corrected the spelling in the original posts. While the spelling was wrong, again apologies there, the descriptions are 100% correct. As mentioned, the details on materials may change slightly during the prototyping process to ensure they sound like they are described.

HMMM I was hoping Charlotte was gonna be the P90 of the bunch but reading Ted's post again looks like it might be a Humbucker.

The P90 is Rocky Shlabotnik and this lil' bruder of the bunch is already in the guitar of one hfc'er but I will let him comment on what he thinks of it. It's available now from Josh if you are interested. I'd have to check on pricing though.

So is this the longest running joke on the HFC and how far back does it go?

This may have been the longest running joke but let me assure you its a myth no longer and these pickups are for real. The pickups in the Shishkov Ultimates will be Enola and Grace Shlabotniks custom wound by master winder Josh Gravelin.

The pickups Tombo is demoing really are the Rocky Shlabotnik P-90s. While a simple you tube clip that video should give you an idea of how good these they sound and we expect nothing less from Enola and Grace.

Nice job tombo! No joke on all accounts

A page featuring the Shlabotnik pickups will be added to the ShishkovGuitars.com site shortly.

So is this the longest running joke on the HFC and how far back does it go?

This may have been the longest running joke but let me assure you its a myth no longer and these pickups are for real. The pickups in the Shishkov Ultimates will be Enola and Grace Shlabotniks custom wound by master winder Josh Gravelin.

The pickups Tombo is demoing really are the Rocky Shlabotnik P-90s. While a simple you tube clip that video should give you an idea of how good these they sound and we expect nothing less from Enola and Grace.

Nice job tombo! No joke on all accounts

A page featuring the Shlabotnik pickups will be added to the ShishkovGuitars.com site shortly.

Blessed are the cheesemakers: http://alemarcheese.com/2012/01/all-the-news/

The relevant quote: "And make cheese I have. I doubled production over last year’s holiday season, and with all the help and another year under my belt, it almost seemed easier. Credit is also due to my new right hand, Josh Gravelin. Josh and I worked together years back in the bagel business. He went on to play bass for a number of national acts in Austin, Texas, but eventually the call of Minnesota held sway. He still plays locally, and has a pickup business (for guitars and basses), but he’s had enough time to intern with me, and that has made a huge difference. Thanks, Josh!"

I was going down the path of providing pickups for my Ultimate order, assuming the delay in announcing the model was to decide which flavor of Seymour Duncan to use. Given the revelation above, I have changed my mind.

If the cool kids are going to have Shlabotnik-loaded Shishkovs, then I want one too.

Archived