Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The quest for the perfect wood

Took a trip to up to see my good friends at Berkshire Products, hoping to find something that isn't always easy to find these days. Am always blown away by the rows and rows of cool stuff they have here. I could get lost in here for hours on end! My 2 "employees" insisted on coming along to help inspect the wood. Can't wait to go on a custom piece hunt in the future - just love this shit. Was almost ready to give up on what I went looking for when I noticed some dust covered boards in the corner. Jack Pot! Perfectly aged 8/4 Honduras Mahogany! Brought it home and ran it through my plainer - this is the stuff!!!! On my way to pick up the rest of it today

022_zps2535fddb.jpg028_zps553dfbdf.jpg037_zps2310bfcd.jpg040_zpsdfd7e022.jpg094_zps3d41b0ad.jpg095_zps89577c14.jpg097_zps763364d3.jpg

Really cool pics Mike - thanks for posting!

It's always good to have enthusiastic employees you can pay in ice cream and piggyback rides.

Jeez, I read the title and thought some affection-starved woman was getting pretty bold or some golf nut forgot to post in the Outer Circle.

I read the thread title and thought this should be in the Outer Circle, and though this is perfectly fine for all audiences, it has given me the same effect as some of the posts in the OC. Nice!

Awesome post - thanks for sharing.

I also think its awesome that you involve your daughters in how you sweat the details (the passion part) of your work and the craftsmanship. While they may never become luthiers, they will undoubtedly learn more good things than we can imagine from your work ethic and other positive examples. I'm sure they already think you are the coolest dad on the Earth - which is exactly how it should be.

With that said ~ are you willing to reveal which one of you three "employees" is REALLY the BOSS! :D

Just like in the old Hamer blogs, Mike is taking us on a Journey of the process of creating a truly fine piece of musical artwork.

Making us want one that much more.

Archived