Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ladies and Gentlemen, I Give You HFC's Own CMatthes!

That's Elduave's old Rocketeria "Zandard" at a gig we played 8 years ago.

Actually, I dropped it a while before that!

Photo shoot on a windy day...not always a good idea.

I don't know whether I threw up or crapped myself or both when that happened.

Why is it called a Zandard? I'm assuming Zander + Standard. But why? I don't get it. Great lookin' guitar though. Slung low. If I played that low it would have smegma all over the back. No buckle rash though.

Because its a Zandard Dangnabit!!

Long story short. Standard Ordered for Robin, which Rick used for touring (Budakon). Fast forward, it appears in Guitars of the Stars Book, looks kind of Orangey in the picture from age, fast forward Elduave calls up Hamers and does a run of 3 guitars based on the picture in the book. So Zander and Standard = Zandard.

I'm not sure that the Robin angle on Rick's natural Standard is remotely factual, but it's interesting nonetheless!

Chris, did it sustain damage when you dropped it?

It got the "relic" treatment Elduave did not request.

Somehow, he still speaks to me...

Jol said #0004 was built for Robin, so i'd say it's remotely factual at worst. I may have seen an early Cheap Trick promo pic in which Robin is wearing the guitar.

I'm not sure that the Robin angle on Rick's natural Standard is remotely factual, but it's interesting nonetheless!

There was a promo picture of CT about 1975ish at Rick's Pick's exhibit of Robin holding that guitar. I might even have taken a photo of that but I would have to look on Sunday for that. Doesn't mean it was Robin's they may have just grabbed it for the shot.

Chris, did it sustain damage when you dropped it?

To be remotely factual, Chris didn't drop it. It was on a stand and the wind blew it face down on the asphalt. Remarkably, it only sustained a ding on the front near the edge by the bridge side strap button and a broken switch tip.

There was a promo picture of CT about 1975ish at Rick's Pick's exhibit of Robin holding that guitar. I might even have taken a photo of that but I would have to look on Sunday for that. Doesn't mean it was Robin's they may have just grabbed it for the shot.

What's with the pissing all over the guitars story all of a sudden?!?

What's with the pissing all over the guitars story all of a sudden?!?

Not pissing. Rick and Paul Hamer both told me that that was the guitar Rick ordered for himself, but it took forever to deliver so they gave Rick #0000 as a loaner. The story differs from that point on, depending on who you ask. Rick told me that they gave him #0000 because they felt bad for the delay, but Paul said 'he just never gave it back'. When #0004 was finished, Rick still wanted that one too. I've never heard the Zander story before this or that it was attributed to Jol. There has been, based upon my observations while researching, a lot of 'variations' to stories, so I suppose anything is possible, although I can't see Robin slinging a Standard-it'd be huge on him! Just remember-until 2004, no one outside of Hamer knew about Monty or Holmes.

As for the Robin angle-remember that Robin often played Rick's guitars. The white Tele so prominent in the Budokan LP pics is Rick's and the two Pete Comita SNL basses are Rick's. So even if Rick 'owned it', the intent could well have been that Robin would play it.

0004. I personally saw it at Rick's Picks. I don't recall it looking 'orange' at all. I actually got to see it up close, and saw the back of the headstock had the serial struck/pressed into the wood, which I wouldn't have suspected. The laborers were working on the case it was being displayed in. btw... It was pretty hot in some of those cases which worried me. I think they were working on that very concern if I recall.

Here are some pics I took of #0004 in Rockford last year:

194_zps4f9963a4.jpg

195_zps5be981bd.jpg

196_zps9754f83e.jpg

Jol said unprovoked, and not taking the piss, that the 0004 was the "Zander Standard" (his words). If he was fuzzy in details so be it but I did pass on that adage when selling those guitars, and don't want to be seen as misleading anyone. For the record.

It does look way orange in that one pic. Color of the 3 together is more accurate.

Nice thing is, I'm gonna have another! 0004 clone please! Feel free to relic it, Mike, or put on a stand on a windy day. Just remembered more details on the "drop", a backdrop linen is what caught the wind, pushing into the stand which was on a slight away incline. Never forget the sound. #pthlunk

That sound still haunts me in my nightmares...

Archived