hamerhead Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamer-Standard-Sunburst-Autographed-by-Judas-Priest-with-JSA-Certificate-/222501053533?hash=item33ce18a45d:g:cS8AAOSwurZZDRqU I'll take 2.
kizanski Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 How do I take a near valueless guitar and make it worse? I know!! A bunch of signatures from a band that never used this model guitar! Mission: Accomplished.
Steve Haynie Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 Any time there is a certificate of authenticity, or in this case a letter of authenticity, I laugh. It is easier to fake the certificate than the item is is associated with. My korina Vector came with a COA. The guitar speaks for itself with no certificate needed. So, the letter that comes with the import Standard says that it is the opinion of someone that the autographs are real. The notary public only attests that she saw the guy with the opinion sign the letter. In one of the many biographies of The Beatles it was written that Mal Evans and Neil Aspinall were signing autographed photos for the band. Today it seems that any autographed Beatles photo is treated as authentic. The bottom line is what one wants to believe is true.
DaveL Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 JSA is actually one of the established firms that does that stuff (JSA, and PSA are the main guys) they would be considered a better level than some dude who print certificates on his home printer. That aside, it's really crazy that people think they can take a $200 guitar, add autographs that probably have a retail value of about $100, and come up with $2300...
hamerhead Posted May 8, 2017 Author Posted May 8, 2017 "Now who can argue with that? Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed the courage little seen in this day and age. "
kizanski Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 57 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said: True enough, however I believe Steve said it best that the certificates are very easy to knock off. One would need to authenticate the authenticity of the authenticity certificate in authenticating the signatures before pulling the trigger on an unauthentic band-signed guitar not worth tree-fiddy. I'm still of the opinion that a signature de-values a guitar, so they can save their certificate and pass the Windex, please. And it's not because I'm not a Priest fan. There is not one artist whose signature I would want on a guitar, in fact, I have no use for autographs at all. Show me something I can't do. I can sign my name. I don't want your autograph.
ARM OF HAMER Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 12 minutes ago, kizanski said: I'm still of the opinion that a signature de-values a guitar, so they can save their certificate and pass the Windex, please. And it's not because I'm not a Priest fan. There is not one artist whose signature I would want on a guitar, in fact, I have no use for autographs at all. Show me something I can't do. I can sign my name. I don't want your autograph. I quite agree,I have seen autographs on some VERY high end guitars and the question always came to mind......................... WHY?
Jake8773 Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 A $200 Standard with $2K in ink on it.... WOW I best jump on that! LMAO
DaveH Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 Heh, he's taking questions: Q: Hi is this a USA hamer or importA: Not a US made Hamer. I wish it was, then it would sell for more than double.
hamerhead Posted May 8, 2017 Author Posted May 8, 2017 I would have let Les Paul sign my Les Paul. On the back of the headstock. Because that would rock. And Leo could have signed my Strat. Because that would rock, too. And Paul could sign my Special. Because that would rock even more. And Taylor Swift could sign my Taylor. Because that.........would mean she's trapped in my guitar room.......
kizanski Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 2 minutes ago, hamerhead said: I would have let Les Paul sign my Les Paul. On the back of the headstock. Because that would rock. And Leo could have signed my Strat. Because that would rock, too. And Paul could sign my Special. Because that would rock even more. I could see how some guys would dig that. It just doesn't do anything for me. On that theme, though, I'd rather be able to say that so-and-so played my guitar than signed it. I have a Robin Avalon Sport (single-cut Junior style) which was played by Billy Gibbons, Bob Dylan, and a bunch of others I can't think of right now. @Jeff R sent me photos over the weekend of George Lynch playing his ESP partoscaster. The smile on Jeff's face wouldn't go away if you cracked him in the head with a shovel.
mc2 Posted May 8, 2017 Posted May 8, 2017 I like how the Certificate of Authorization is dated FIVE YEARS AFTER K.K. had left the band.
Steve Haynie Posted May 9, 2017 Posted May 9, 2017 1 hour ago, hamerhead said: I would have let Les Paul sign my Les Paul. On the back of the headstock. Because that would rock. And Leo could have signed my Strat. Because that would rock, too. And Paul could sign my Special. Because that would rock even more. And Taylor Swift could sign my Taylor. Because that.........would mean she's trapped in my guitar room....... Les Paul signed my Les Paul on the back of the body. It has been clearcoated.
BadgerDave Posted May 9, 2017 Posted May 9, 2017 Mike signed my Shishkov. I think a builder's signature on a guitar is an exception, but otherwise I agree completely with Kiz.
kizanski Posted May 9, 2017 Posted May 9, 2017 7 hours ago, BadgerDave said: Mike signed my Shishkov. I think a builder's signature on a guitar is an exception, but otherwise I agree completely with Kiz. Good point. Dave Wintz signed the back of the headstocks of the custom Robins he made for me.
mc2 Posted May 9, 2017 Posted May 9, 2017 Here is info from the seller of the Judas Priest signed guitar.... "I do not have a photo of this being signed. It was from a radio station promotion, I believe back around 2004-2005 in the Phoenix area. The guy I got it from won it, and kept it for a couple years. He wasn't a Judas Priest fan, so decided to sell it to someone that was. I've had this hanging in my studio for about 11 years. I wanted to know myself if the signatures were authentic, so I took the guitar to James Spence Authentications, hence the certificate."
ARM OF HAMER Posted May 10, 2017 Posted May 10, 2017 On 5/8/2017 at 6:57 PM, mc2 said: I like how the Certificate of Authorization is dated FIVE YEARS AFTER K.K. had left the band.
ARM OF HAMER Posted May 10, 2017 Posted May 10, 2017 On 5/9/2017 at 4:25 AM, kizanski said: Good point. Dave Wintz signed the back of the headstocks of the custom Robins he made for me. I have to take one exception also...................I remember when Rich [RichRS6] had his Black 1978 Hamer Sunburst signed by Martin Barre of Jethro Tull on the control cavity cover. I'd be OK with that and with Martin signing it.............but nobody else.I don't think that would decrease the value of the guitar..................and I also don't think it should increase the value either............just a cool personal thing to have.
mc2 Posted May 10, 2017 Posted May 10, 2017 I have a few guitars and basses signed by the late Phil Kubicki that he built. I didn't request that but I am glad he signed them for whomever they were built for. I also have what I believe is the only Hamer ever factory signed....very subtly...under the clear by BOTH Jol Dantzig and Paul Hamer. Especially great because it is on a BASS!! Again, I think that is pretty cool, considering the history of Hamer. And my one Les Paul Signature is "signed" by Les Paul on the pickguard with a scribe that carved it in. So it is not as obvious as ink but still there. Since it is Les Paul ON a Les Paul Signature, what could be cooler? Although it is a little redundant, since Les hand-signed all the Gibson model stickers inside the f-holes on the 70s Les Paul Sigs. That said....I HAVE removed ink signatures from "rock stars" on various axes before.
Caddie Posted May 10, 2017 Posted May 10, 2017 It remains unsold?! My pointy, little arrow hovers above the buy-it-now button. I'm shaking....oh wait! That reminds me, I need to take my bedtime dose of Parkinson's med. Note-to-self: Whether selling, buying, or just browsing, always take your meds 10-15min BEFORE going to eBay. Cheers! caddie
Andrew Posted May 10, 2017 Posted May 10, 2017 No one notice the "certificate" is from such an "expert" it says "signed by… Dave Holland"? Well, he left before Painkiller (1989). And "Nonce" Holland was in prison during 2005.
kizanski Posted May 10, 2017 Posted May 10, 2017 For me, the question isn't if the certificate is genuine, who was not in the band at th time, or even if those are the genuine signatures or not. For me, the question is who gives a shit? It's a worthless import with worthless pen scribblings on it.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.