Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gravelin Pickups: Charlotte and Schlabotnik/Ults Limited HFC Discount

This situation has caused an immense amount of stress in my life over the last bunch of days but I promise it will end well with smiles and happy ears for all. I spoke with the wire distributor and am getting excellent support from them via a new 9lb. spool of 42, pulled from a fresh batch shipment, micrometer'd to my specs, and on it's way to me at this very moment. In the meantime I'll wind Charlotte slug coil bobbins, solder up all the humbucker frames with the appropriate output lead-wires, charge magnets, and do more prep work so that when the wire shows up I'm ready for action! Thanks for being patient.

2 Schalbotnik/Ult sets left

1 Charlotte set left

Fresh wire, fresh builds. C'mon!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Gravelin is obviously a businessman with good character. 

Not a surprise. Just a happy statement proven by his conduct and unwavering commitment to excellence in his field.

3 hours ago, hrtatak said:

Hi Josh. I will take that last Charlotte set for the new black V.  Double cremes please sir.

If that is the left handed V, congrats, that is a beautiful V.  Josh’s pickups are fantastic.  

Menehune, check your PM. I anticipated a few last minute requests with the Charlotte sets so yeah - let's do it!

1 set of of the Schlabotnik/ULT left.

I believe the wire should hit my PO Box today and I am beyond ready to get to work!

19 hours ago, JGravelin said:

Menehune, check your PM. I anticipated a few last minute requests with the Charlotte sets so yeah - let's do it!

1 set of of the Schlabotnik/ULT left.

I believe the wire should hit my PO Box today and I am beyond ready to get to work!

Well, then pick a name out of your hat and send them.  And it better be my name. 🙄

Take care and Happy Holidays.  

(You know I’m kidding)

There was a delay due to weather with that spool of wire but it finally arrived this morning.  I mic'd it up (measured with my digital micrometer) and it's exactly what I asked for: .0265 (.68 for my metric friends). I've been spinning up beautiful coils with it for the last couple hours and they are all testing out perfectly. What a relief!

Thank you again for your patience.

I'm going to get back to it now. Rock forth, amigos!

I was stuck in the office working late tonight and got a nice phone call from Josh, just reaching out to catch up.  I'm really looking forward to the stuff he's working on these days!

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of pickups were shipped today so check your emails for tracking numbers. If you received nothing from me, don't fret: the rest (yours) will be shipping this week! I tore a ligament on my left hand index finger knuckle which has made grasping and holding with that hand a bit painful and uncomfortable, slowing me down just a bit because I need to ice it often to keep the swelling down .. but I am working and this HFC batch is my priority beyond the other 20 or so orders that have come in over the last week.

On another note, there's going to be some B Stock sets from this, ie: bobbins with light scuffing/scratches that I can't sell off as "super fresh and brand new!". I shoot for a flawless lovely shine for the aesthetic but some of these bobbins showed up with very light scuffs - and I cannot in good conscience ship pickups with those minor flaws as "NEW!" and feel good about it. Some might say that my OCD perfectionism works against me sometimes...I get it - I try to balance it out - but these are just one step beyond what's visually acceptable for me. Imagine extremely light playing wear here.

I know for sure that I will be able to do 4 sets of Zebra right now. If you want 'em - HFC Supporting Member or not - I'm knocking the price down on these: $200 shipped to you. 4 sets ... first come, first serve.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:55 PM, JGravelin said:

A bunch of pickups were shipped today so check your emails for tracking numbers. If you received nothing from me, don't fret: the rest (yours) will be shipping this week! I tore a ligament on my left hand index finger knuckle which has made grasping and holding with that hand a bit painful and uncomfortable, slowing me down just a bit because I need to ice it often to keep the swelling down .. but I am working and this HFC batch is my priority beyond the other 20 or so orders that have come in over the last week.

On another note, there's going to be some B Stock sets from this, ie: bobbins with light scuffing/scratches that I can't sell off as "super fresh and brand new!". I shoot for a flawless lovely shine for the aesthetic but some of these bobbins showed up with very light scuffs - and I cannot in good conscience ship pickups with those minor flaws as "NEW!" and feel good about it. Some might say that my OCD perfectionism works against me sometimes...I get it - I try to balance it out - but these are just one step beyond what's visually acceptable for me. Imagine extremely light playing wear here.

I know for sure that I will be able to do 4 sets of Zebra right now. If you want 'em - HFC Supporting Member or not - I'm knocking the price down on these: $200 shipped to you. 4 sets ... first come, first serve.

Any chance of getting a non-OCD, B-Stock set of Zebra Shlabotnik's, Josh?

Got my Charlotte set today, too! Promptly installed them in my Navigator Explorer...praise Jeebus! Yet another JB/59 combo bites the dust.

The Gravelins are a very nice match for the Navigator. Aggressive and clear. The middle position has just enough, "honk." The neck is, "flute-y", without muddiness. Bridge has a great snarl, sounds sweet with volume backed off. 

This leaves me with one JB/59 guitar: An FGN LP Custom. It's getting the Black Beauty treatment soon, with 3 DiMarzio hbs and a modified harness. 

Holy Smokes! Got my Ult pickups installed and they “fixed” the buzzy high end junk I was hearing with the stock SD59’s. Very full yet bright in a good way.  With distortion, you understand “Carlos makin’ that guitar cry”.  Good clean, good all ways. UOA5 magnets per Josh’s advice.

Thanks, Josh 

Archived