Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Haynie

The Future of Ash

Thanks for that!! The article explained more to me about the Ash Bore than I had been able to find before. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Thanks for that!! The article explained more to me about the Ash Bore than I had been able to find before. 

Ash isn't quite into Brazilian Rosewood territory...yet.  There's some new model Fender USA guitars that are available in Ash as well as Alder, with about an $100 upcharge for Ash, from what I've seen of the latest Fender offerings. 

There's some good info on the links I posted here a few months ago:

Ash is also popular for making Baseball bats (Louisville Sluggers, f'r instance) and tool handles...when I was a kid, all my families' gardening/digging tools had Ash handles.  Why Ash?  Because Ash is very durable and impact resistant, which is a good choice for both tool handles and Baseball bats...and Keef's Teles :rolleyes: :lol:.  If you've ever seen a Hard Maple Baseball Bat shatter and send sharp Maple splinters flying like shrapnel, it makes me want to go for an Ash bat over Hard Maple any day of the week.

Edited by crunchee
  • Like 3

I'm pretty psyched that I was able to snag a few killer Ash bodies recently...all I'll need (actually MORE than I'll need) until ash becomes extinct!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

For some reason, I've never found an Ash guitar that sounds right to me. 

Edited by seeker
  • Thanks 2

This is one ASH guitar that has never sounded bad.   

B05E8267-C4BB-41F8-9575-523AD37A1F9F.jpeg

• Like 2

We had 20+ ash trees removed from our back yard, wish I knew they might be worth something.  

41 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

We had 20+ ash trees removed from our back yard, wish I knew they might be worth something.  

Recently? JCP&L has been taking down any and all ash trees within 20 ft of the power lines in most areas.

9 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

The people taking them down might have known.  Did they cut the trees into long logs or short ones? 

There are a lot of Ash tree’s being cut down here in South Dakota. Most of it is going into wood stoves as ash is a great wood for heat. I have 15 mature huge ash tree’s on my acreage. I had 2 cut out with the bugs killing them. It about brings me to tears to know they’ll all have to go because they surround my house and are great shade tree’s. One of the tree’s I had removed was 4ft in diameter and the trunk was 20’ long before it forked out. That entire tree and the others are heating homes at this moment. 

• Sad 2

There are different varieties of ash with some better for guitars.  At one of the HFC events, or possibly in a video, Jol Dantzig explained that there is a lot of figured maple available, but certain species of flamed maple are better for making guitars. 

Here is an interesting video on buying wood for guitars. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

The people taking them down might have known.  Did they cut the trees into long logs or short ones? 

24-36” firewood sized.  

Our 120’ oak they took out in 20’+ pieces.  

I hunt all over Pennsylvania. Ash trees are dying all over the state. That sucks!! So are Hemlocks, they have Hemlock Blight.

• Sad 3