Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Beds

hamerhead

Question

Time for a replacement. Going from a queen to a king size this time because we want the split/adjustable base. For two old fart side-sleepers with bad backs.

What would you recommend?

18 answers to this question

Disclaimer, I work for the company. Suggest Tempurpedic.  Current lineup is Adapt, ProAdapt and LuxeAdapt in order of increasing price. I prefer firm, you should lay on one for 5 minutes to get an idea of how it conforms as you warm it up.  Stearns & Foster Estate is very nice.

if you get a Split System, you can different feels for each side but check that the mattress height is the same.

We started our journey to replace a twelve year old Stearns & Foster early last year.  I decided to try the bed-in-a-box brands that give you 100 days to sleep on them.  We went through Casper, Wink, Saatva, Purple, Nectar, Big Fig, and Leesa.  My opinion of them all is that they're mostly shit.  We stopped at the Saatva thinking it was nicer than any of the others, but after about six months it feels about ten years old.  I'm contemplating replacing it or even putting our original Stearns & Foster back on the bed.  Credit where credit is due, the Big Fig (Big-ger Fig-ure, get it?) was an absolute tank, but in a negative way.  It had zero give and felt a whole lot like sleeping on the floor, but if that's what you like, my impression was it would feel exactly the same at twenty years old than it did on night one.

My feeling is the people enjoying the home-delivery style mattresses these days grew up during the futon craze. 

FTR: For the companies that had tiers, none of ours were the top or bottom, but middle ranges.

3 hours ago, murkat said:

We love our sleep number King size, us old folks.

+1

Don't go cheap you get what you pay for. We had a queen for 15 years with the adjustable frame loved it gave it to my son when we went with the King Size Sleep Number. I know my sister and her husband have the Tempurpedic they seem to really like it and he is a big guy 6'4" 280 lbs.

My son just graduated from UK, in Lexington, KY where Tempurpedic is based.  All of the dorms have Tempurpedic mattresses, and many of the furnished student-catering apartment complexes stock them as well.  He's been kind of ruined as far as other mattresses go - they're very nice.

We paid about $2000 for Kingsdown mattress eight years ago maybe ten years now. The first one we bought did have a problem, but,  they completely replaced it with another bed, full warranty price.  

Don’t know if they have a split frame but I would think they would.

https://kingsdown.com

Son has really enjoyed his Purple. We’re needing to make a purchase soon as our Sterns & Foster is completely done (humble brag unintended)

http://www.craftmatic.com/bed_model2.html#model1

It might be hundreds of dollars more than you want to spend, but you will thank me.  I slept on the couch with pillows piled up for years because of arthritis in my pelvis from an injury.  I have slept like a baby every since we dropped the dime.  I found that most of my problem with my pelvis was because of my sleep arrangements.  I sleep in what Randall Smith of Mesa Boogie would call, when describing his five band graphic EQ,  a "Classic V"!  My wife sleeps with just her head raised a bit.  And she no longer snores! 

Went through this last year. Stopped at a bed chain store and left fairly shocked at the ~$10k price. 

We had purchased a Tuft and Needle for our guest room and everyone loves it. 

I ended up with two Tuft and Needle Mint matressess and two of these bases off Amazon which got very good reviews. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0794Y5W7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not cheap, but about half the price of what the local chains were quoting. 

We love it. Comfortable and the bases are very well made. 

We just did this so my obsessive research may help you save hours of your time. About 20 years ago we bought a Comfortaire, which was essentially the original air adjustable bed. The guys that worked there left and started the Sleep Number beds you see in the malls etc. They recently bought out Comfortaire so their plan was quite successful. I enjoyed going through the original guy and he was less expensive. I could call up and he would answer from his kids softball game and help me out.  The product was great but we did have to send a pump back under warranty but it was all handled well. We've been VERY happy with it for two decades! Best bed we ever had, it had the dual side adjustment and was very comfortable... but it was a queen.  Which I heard about from my wife constantly.

So, now after our anniversary trip (36 years!) fell through with this virus stuff my wife wanted to replace our bed and get a king, plus she has some health issues where an adjustable bed base would be advantageous. So, we decided to put our stimulus check money back into the economy and spend it on a new bed and move the old (still perfectly good) bed into the guest room. 

When I buy something I am NOT the "just get the main market leader that everyone else buys " kind of guy. I'm always looking for the most bang for the buck. So, anyway, after much research and seeing that what we wanted - a split King adjustable base bed - which is actually two Twin XL beds connected side by side so that each one is independently adjustable for position,  and adjustable Sleep Number - type mattresses, I decided on buying the bases from Amazon for $399 each (high ratings/reviews) which look suspiciously like some other high dollar ones out there and I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in the same factory, and buy the mattresses from Airbeds Unlimited online. I believe they're essentially a seller of Innomax products but I liked the online ordering process better through them. Anyway, I haven't received them yet but they look to be better constructed than the one we currently have with metal wrapped tubing and metal fittings instead of plastic. If you feel like you want any particular info you may PM me for it.  

My strategy on bed buying is to buy the cheapest air adjustable model of the brand I select and not pay extra for all their expensive pillow top, memory foam, super cushion options etc. but buy those pieces separately for much less. The ones I've seen all have the same basic air bladder assembly anyway. So, you end up paying thousands more for an extra 2-3" inches of various padding that you can buy for about a tenth of the price. Plus, if you buy their expensive pillow topper cover you'll be stuck buying a replacement from them for mucho money when you can again just buy a non-proprietary aftermarket one for so much less. 

Our current bed has a regular convoluted mattress pad and a padded cotton bed topper over the rubber air bladder mattresses. That has worked great for us all these years. I bought ventilated memory foam mattress pads and a padded cotton bed topper for the new one. 

I do recommend getting the remote that is one up from the bottom of the line. The lowest priced remotes I've seen don't have any numbers so you just adjust by feel. So, having the numbers and a memory position is much better. The place I bought from had that as a free upgrade (at least at that time). 

So, we spent in total for the whole package with new Egyptian cotton sheets about $2,500, just over the government check money. That's half, a third or a quarter of what some places were charging! Hopefully, it will work out as well as our old bed did. 

Whether you go my route or not I do recommend the adjustable air beds. They are just great as you and your partner can have your own settings. Some, nights I want it fully inflated and other nights I like it down around 77%. My wife usually likes it lower around 50-60%. Especially for side sleepers, you can get in position and adjust the air level to give just the right amount of room for your hips, just awesome! 

We have had the king size Tempurpedic for many years.  Still comfy.  But...it does get a little warm in the summer.  And it's chilly and hard when you first slip under the covers during the winter.  My neighbors swear by their Sleep Number king size bed.  I've had to buy beds for the son and daughter who moved out and we tried a ton of different mattresses at all price points.  Those two are the ones I'd still recommend you try out.

The covers on the more recent Tempur matts have better air circulation and won't feel warm. I had one 25 years ago that sometimes felt warm, found out there was a TPU coating on the underside of the cover. It is water-proof but also can trap body heat. It didn't bother me. My few years old Contour is great.

If you keep your room cool in the winter, the viscoelastic foam will cool down and also feel a little firmer until you are in it for a minute or two. 

Whatever anyone chooses, try it out and don't save $ at the expense if comfort and health. A night on a bad motel mattress makes you glad to get home.

18 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

The covers on the more recent Tempur matts have better air circulation and won't feel warm. I had one 25 years ago that sometimes felt warm, found out there was a TPU coating on the underside of the cover. It is water-proof but also can trap body heat. It didn't bother me. My few years old Contour is great.

If you keep your room cool in the winter, the viscoelastic foam will cool down and also feel a little firmer until you are in it for a minute or two. 

Whatever anyone chooses, try it out and don't save $ at the expense if comfort and health. A night on a bad motel mattress makes you glad to get home.

Is this the one that won't get too warm?  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748PTWLK/ref=twister_B082LHMHQM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

21 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

That is a mattress protector, goes over the normal cover. I’m not familiar with these so can’t say how breathable they are but think would be good.

i was speaking to the covers that come on the mattress from the factory.  There is a zip off top cover standard (not waterproof) that is breathable. The cover it zips onto is designed to work well as a system.  if you have a Tempurpedic from the past 8 years, they have this improved construction.

5 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

That is a mattress protector, goes over the normal cover. I’m not familiar with these so can’t say how breathable they are but think would be good.

i was speaking to the covers that come on the mattress from the factory.  There is a zip off top cover standard (not waterproof) that is breathable. The cover it zips onto is designed to work well as a system.  if you have a Tempurpedic from the past 8 years, they have this improved construction.

Can one purchase an updated zip off top cover?

1 hour ago, BubbaVO said:

Can one purchase an updated zip off top cover?

If your mattress has a zip off cover, I think so.  Call Tempurpedic customer support is the best thing. Or PM me and we can exchange phone numbers.  My work is with electro mechanical products, mostly adjustable bases. Need more info to see what might work for you.

Archived