Jakeboy Posted December 26, 2022 Posted December 26, 2022 2004 Newport in very good condition. I have played and recorded this guitar a lot but at the end of the day, I am not a hollow body guy. Though when playing the intro of Have a Drink On Me, it sustains forever! No matter. I need to downsize to my essentials. Upgrades include a set of unpotted vintage wind Rumpelstiltskin Rumpel’trons that sound fantastic, a Vibramate, and a Reverend SoftSpring that is a Bigsby ganechanger, at least for me. This guitar sounds wonderful and plays easily, just like a Newport should. The sustain is effortless. The soft spruce top has a few impressions, only one which is through the finish by the f-hole. The pic looks worse that the reality as no white wood is showing, that is just the flash. Frets have some wear but the guitar still plays effortlessly. The back of the neck has a tiny spot up high where a tiny bit of Super glue transferred from a finger to the finish. It is so high I never feel it but I never tried to remove it with acetone or anything for fear of damaging the urelac. Comes with OHSC and the Phat Cat Pickup rings. SOLD
JGale Posted December 26, 2022 Posted December 26, 2022 Oh! @kizanski iz gonna love that last picture!
rugby1970 Posted December 26, 2022 Posted December 26, 2022 First the amp and now this!!!! I truly hate you (not). Hahahahahahahahaha GLWTS
Hbom Posted December 27, 2022 Posted December 27, 2022 Glad you're feeling better Mark. Wish I could justify another Newport.
Jakeboy Posted December 27, 2022 Author Posted December 27, 2022 59 minutes ago, Hbom said: Glad you're feeling better Mark. Wish I could justify another Newport. Thanks Doug! I appreciate it!
scottcald Posted December 29, 2022 Posted December 29, 2022 Wow, great guitar! If I didn't have a Newport, I'd be all over that. Great price too!
Jakeboy Posted December 31, 2022 Author Posted December 31, 2022 NYE bump for a cool Newport with what I believe may be a bubinga (African rosewood) board. The board very much reminds me of the boards Rickenbacker uses, whatcha are indeeD mostly beautiful bubinga, IIRC. But who knows? It’s just very pretty!
rugby1970 Posted December 31, 2022 Posted December 31, 2022 On 12/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, rugby1970 said: First the amp and now this!!!! I truly hate you (not). Hahahahahahahahaha GLWTS Someone buy this AND the amp! What a great package that would be.
cmatthes Posted January 2, 2023 Posted January 2, 2023 On 12/31/2022 at 11:58 AM, Jakeboy said: NYE bump for a cool Newport with what I believe may be a bubinga (African rosewood) board. The board very much reminds me of the boards Rickenbacker uses, whatcha are indeeD mostly beautiful bubinga, IIRC. But who knows? It’s just very pretty! That is Indian Rosewood. Very beautiful figure on that one and a killer guitar!
Jakeboy Posted January 14, 2023 Author Posted January 14, 2023 Price drop bump before posting it on Reverb or TGP.
jujisque Posted January 14, 2023 Posted January 14, 2023 Tried to send you a message and it bounced. Says you can't receive messages. In any case: This one's killing me. As always, I don't need another guitar, but can any of us help ourselves? Do you have measurements for the neck? How's the shape? Also, the listing mentions a Vibramate, and I can't then tell if the Bigsby is original or if this guitar began life with a stoptail. Can you clarify?
Jakeboy Posted January 14, 2023 Author Posted January 14, 2023 Sorry @jujisque, I just cleared out some space for PMs. Neck is a typical Hamer vintage carve. My fave neck.Fills the hand yert the shoulders are not too high, if that makes sense. PM me and I’ll measure today and send to you. The Bigsby is 100% OEM. All I did was swap the spring for a Reverend SoftSpring. Original spring slips right back in if you want. The Vibramate just slips on the roller bar and Bigsby Stop bar. Non-invasive. Comes right off. It exists for one reason….to make string changes a breeze.
Hbom Posted January 14, 2023 Posted January 14, 2023 34 minutes ago, jujisque said: Do you have measurements for the neck? How's the shape? This comes up all the time. This from '05. I think from marknorth but might have been ArnieZ Posted April 13, 2005 · "All Hamers will come stock with a Vintage neck profile which is .850" thick. The modern neck profile, which is by special order only is .800" thick. This is from the email I received from Hamer."
jujisque Posted January 14, 2023 Posted January 14, 2023 21 minutes ago, Hbom said: This comes up all the time. This from '05. I think from marknorth but might have been ArnieZ Posted April 13, 2005 · "All Hamers will come stock with a Vintage neck profile which is .850" thick. The modern neck profile, which is by special order only is .800" thick. This is from the email I received from Hamer." I wish they were that consistent. I've got an '05 Studio Custom with a taper from 0.90 to 0.94. In the same ballpark as 0.85, surely, but never hurts to confirm Good to know that the target around that time was 0.85, though. Thanks for sharing
Hbom Posted January 14, 2023 Posted January 14, 2023 They were done by hand, so maybe not all perfect. But the ones I've owned have been pretty consistent. I always envy you guys that can feel five hundredths of an inch. My guitar necks vary from about .75 to 1.1 and I manage to play them all poorly.
jujisque Posted January 14, 2023 Posted January 14, 2023 1 hour ago, Hbom said: They were done by hand, so maybe not all perfect. But the ones I've owned have been pretty consistent. I always envy you guys that can feel five hundredths of an inch. My guitar necks vary from about .75 to 1.1 and I manage to play them all poorly. Haha, well, I still manage the same I really do wish I couldn’t feel it. Would make the world of guitars more open to me
Travis Posted January 15, 2023 Posted January 15, 2023 The vintage carve is about as close to perfect as you can get. My old Artist Korina HB had that carve and it was in my top 3 of favorite necks of all time. If I was in the market for a jazz/blues guitar this would be mine yesterday…
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.