Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

cmatthes

Members
  • Posts

    31,686
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    495

Everything posted by cmatthes

  1. Not sure who here is familiar with Doug Gillard (guitar genius in Guided By Voices, Nada Surf, Cobra Verde and others), but he dropped a new tune from his forthcoming album over the weekend. I’m totally digging it, as it’s like a cool blend of Dillon Fence and Teenage Fanclub and then some - YMMV. I didn’t realize there was a video until about an hour ago, but I got to see and hang with a couple of the doods in it (not Doug, sadly) last week in Brooklyn, along with everybody’s favorite legend, NiteBob…who totally stole my iPhone. Dave told me the other day that he didn’t actually play on the track, but was goofing around in the studio on bass and the eBow solo for the video. Those ARE his pedals though because he’s recording a solo album there (Dave played bass in Cobra Verde with Doug in the ‘90s). Anyway, cool Mick Mars style ‘80s Hamer Special (belonging to Tom) gets a cameo. Check it out!
  2. Seriously! Those Billions aren't going to just give themselves away!!
  3. If it's a card you don't use much, it might just be the bank/card issuer checking to ensure that it is indeed you and not some fraudster. Phone calls are not as common as text alerts, but it depends upon your preferred method of communication that you set up with the card issuer. This isn't likely coming from the retailer.
  4. When I was a kid, every dad in my neighborhood had this album at the top of their record stacks. For YEARS.
  5. You're a good man, Charlie Brown! I'd be all over that Rick if I was in spending mode - those are really great guitars.
  6. Really accentuates the highs.
  7. While not necessarily my favorite album as a kid, I probably spent too much time lusting after the checkerboard Standard on the back cover...finally acquired an all-mahogany 4-Digit (#0703) that was the perfect candidate for the conversion and let Stike and Shane go to town on it. Dream realized 35 years later!
  8. I used to schlep around a Trace Elliot full stack (800w Head, 4X10H and 1X15H), a TU-2 and a Bass Driver, with a rotating cast of basses - usually 2 or 3 per gig (Mostly Hamer Chaps or 2TEK Cruisebasses, and to be stupid either a B-12M or a B-12S. I distinctly remember some 2 and 3 story back stairways or long twisty load-ins with those. That's a far younger man's game. Life (and my back) have changed over the last few decades - I started by cutting down to mostly the 1x15H cab only and either a 2TEK Cruisebass, a B-4M, or a quilt maple Chap, but then I added a 2TEK P-Bass here and there for variety. TU-2 and BassDriver always made the ride. About 6-7 years ago, I switched over to an Ampeg FlipTop style PF-500 head and PF-115HE - the lighter weight, single unit and casters helped immensely with load in/out, and it sounds great miked or direct, but has power on tap too. Still took the BassDriver/TU-2 to most gigs, but also schlepped my DP3-X or a Tech21 Bass FlyRig (depending upon whether a Rock Cover gig or the Americana Band). Basses are whatever I feel like fits - Still love the B-4M and a 2TEK Cruise, but have also been playing the 2TEK P-Bass, the Stike'd Blue Paisley semihollow P-Bass (w/a pair of TVJ Thunder Trons and flats), another Stike'd Blue Flake Tele Bass (with 3 TVJ Thunder Trons), a Thunderbird or (especially with the Americana band) a Harry White Rickenbacker 4005XC with flats. Depending upon the gig (outdoor v indoor mostly), I've also relied more on a TC Electronics PolyTune, since it shows up so much better than the TU-2 in higher light. For Xmas, the fambly got me a shiny new Fender Rumble 500 amp, which is super light, but can get loud as hell and sounds great. Looking forward to taking out for the summer gigs!
  9. Unless you’re a dog, a dolphin or maybe Eric Johnson, the answer is “No”.
  10. I predict that this will be a very short thread…unless you meant to post this in The Outer Circle.
  11. Can it be called “Mint” with all the changed parts?
  12. Kiz…there ARE other Mikes out there, ya know!! 😂 This is a common phishing scam and typically it comes from some fraudster who has gotten into YOUR email account where they can see and spoof names of people you have received emails from in the past. Even scarier, this is now coming through via texts. Change your passwords regularly, but definitely do so when you get these!
  13. I’m probably heading back this weekend - my son wa kinda smitten by an amp, so we’ll see…
  14. Thanks, Jeff! I think dealing with that kind of soured him on the whole thing anyway - it honestly was a case of "the math not mathing", but they wouldn't back off from it...which probably says more about who you're dealing with maybe?
  15. Stopped by Atomic yesterday with my son. Hamerwise: 1. Non-Trem 94 Daytona - Black/Maple. Replaced guard, Bridge and Middle pickups (JBJr and a Lace Sensor). Lightweight though and nice neck. They'll definitely deal on the tagged price. 2. Black '87 SS-1 - Rosewood/Dots. Actually a thicker neck than most of the ones I've owned, but for a small body, it was pretty hefty. 3. White '87 Chapparal (listed as a "Custom", but rosewood/dots). Earlier '87 set-neck model with the Strat jack cup on the face, not the side, standard mini-toggles. Overall in okay shape, but a bit ambitiously priced at $1900 - reiterating that they will deal if you're a serious buyer. 4. Red 1990 Centaura - some heavy finish checking, and the original Hamer Floyd might need to be replaced, but otherwise, not bad at all. It's entirely likely that there was another Hamer/Hamers lurking somewhere in there - if you haven't actually been inside Atomic, you wouldn't understand! There are literally THOUSANDS of guitars on racks, walls, stands, piles, etc. and they're not sorted in any consistent way other than guitars over $3,500 are usually behind the counter on the high wall or close to the front of the store. Everything else is just...everywhere else. I truly love that shop! Wish I'd gotten to check out the Dragonskin Chap from last month that sold for $2,499!
  16. That's a shame too - that might be the coolest Graphic Special I've seen, and I've never seen that one before!
  17. Hopefully, not for too long. The dollar was pretty strong v the JPYen, but that's likely going to change too, so we'll see. I think the best thing to do is to plan a trip to Japan and try to bring something back, but not sure how much better that'll be, since you're just saving on the broker/importer fees at that point.
  18. That's not bad at all! My son was looking at a guitar from Japan (not sold in the States), and the tariffs/fees were close to $1,500. The guitar itself was a hair over $2k US...
×
×
  • Create New...