-
Posts
29,468 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
997
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Everything posted by hamerhead
-
We're at an AirBnb about 30 miles south of La Crosse (home of Dave's first guitar emporium), so a visit is mandatory. My wife is with me this time, but she is aware of why we're there - to swap the Rainsong for something better suited to my hands. Although it's not a done deal, they have a suitable replacement (more on that later). We browsed the main floor but nothing says 'buy me', so we head upstairs to Dave's own stash. It's my 3rd time but her first, and for a non-guitarist she was surprisingly into it. We made a long slow lap around and were starting lap #2 when Tim (yep!) the website photographer strikes up a conversation. Little did we know that that conversation would lead to about a 2 hour guided HANDS-ON tour of Dave's personal gear. That's right - one after another guitars were being pulled down and put in my hands. At first I resisted but my wife chimes in, "When will you ever get another chance?" and with that Les Pauls from '54 thru '60, Strats from '54 thru '64, and Teles from '52 thru I forget were plucked from their perches and placed in my now-sweaty mitts, each with their own tale. Not sure if I was more in awe of holding them or more fascinated with their history. What a trip! The Explorer/Vee/Moderne backstory, the wall of Gretschs, the Gibson Switchmaster, more stuff hidden in the back - and the five Hamers in the corner, including a checkerboard '81 Special and Keef's Belushi Standard (which had an even better story of how it came to Dave). The '54 Tele found caseless in a farmhouse attic and tossed into a dumpster by a clueless renovator, only to be saved by said renovator's brother, had to be my favorite. That guitar was as weathered as you'd expect, and flat out gorgeous. My wife was right - it was an experience I'll never get again, and won't forget for as long as I live. This here doesn't begin to scratch the surface. Holy hell what a day.
- 20 replies
-
- 27
-
-
-
Rainsong guitars - any experience?
hamerhead replied to hamerhead's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Shut it, Dave! .....wait. Mocking you? Which time? -
Rainsong guitars - any experience?
hamerhead replied to hamerhead's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Well dammit. It's here. Cool guitar. In amazing shape. Sounds killer. ....with a shredder neck. As soon as I picked it up out of the case I knew it was not for me. It reminds me of an Ibanez Wizard neck - wide, flat and thin, more so than any guitar I've ever owned. Dammit. Fortunately we have a Dave's trip coming up, so it will be trade bait. I remain hopeful... -
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
hamerhead replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
-
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
hamerhead replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
-
Listing is great and funny!
hamerhead replied to DarkHammer's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
That top is mental. Oof.- 11 replies
-
- 10
-
-
-
Have you guys seen't this?
hamerhead replied to Hackubus's topic in For Sale - Wanted to Buy - PIF - eBay & Other PSAs
-
Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread
hamerhead replied to LucSulla's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
^^^100%. Goes right along with them damn kids listening to everything on shitty phone speakers instead of a good and proper stereo. No wonder they like the shit that passes for music nowadays - they've never heard GOOD music done right. -
Rainsong guitars - any experience?
hamerhead replied to hamerhead's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
My top 3 were McPherson, Rainsong and Emerald. Rainsong got the nod when it came to cost vs use - it didn't make a lot of sense to spend big on something that gets picked up maybe once a week. And from what I'd read (and YouTubed), the Rainsong has the more piano-like sound (as opposed to traditional wood acoustic sound) of the bunch. That's not a knock on Emerald or McPherson - they both sound fantastic, just in a different way. If I had the $$$$ ...... We'll see. I'm curious and stoked to get it in my grubby little mitts (Tuesday, hopefully). I needed a jumpstart. I hope this helps. -
For all us OCD f***ers who can't comprehend it unless it's in list form: Rolph PAF set "underwound" for $350. Two really nice aged nickel covers for $45. LovePedal Mosferatu pedal for $145 (has the good transistors). Early Wizz humbuckers (no paperwork and no logos) for $600 (I don't have provenance, but they are the shit). Gibson Rhythm and Lead Pro pickups for $250. Boss Volume Pedal (the industry standard) for $50. Gravelin "Ultimate Charlotte" set for $350. "PTP" Indonesian PAF pickups for $100 (they sound pretty good). Seymour Duncan custom mini-humbucker four conductor pickup for $125. Gibson Sonex 180 pickups known as "Velvet Bricks" by Bill Lawrence for $350. Thorn Staple P-90 set for $350. Ron doesn't sell these anymore. Stewart MacDonald Golden Age 5400-Z/5401-Z set for $100 (highly underrated PAFs). Gibson Pat# from the mid-sixties (re-wind required)) for $150. Generic humbucker for $30??? Gravelin Ultimate Charlotte for $150 (not sure about the measurements, but I can find out!). Fender Tele pickup (generic import model) for $50. Marshall Gold logo reproduction for $40. Nickel Grovers from 2001 for $175. Celestion Greenback 25Watt speakers (2) for $300 (plastic mag covers are damaged, but pickups sound great). Stevens Pat Pend pre-1952 slide for $50. Oahii steel slide for $35. Oahu Diamond thirties slide for $35.
-
Thanks but his brain is set on the Vega-Trem and there's no changing it. F***in' guitar players.
-
Rainsong guitars - any experience?
hamerhead replied to hamerhead's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
If only my brain would function that way...... ....but good to know! Thanks! -
A buddy wants to try one and I'm just curious. Will it fit a Daytona?
-
Rainsong guitars - any experience?
hamerhead replied to hamerhead's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
- 25 replies
-
- 14
-
-
Rainsong guitars - any experience?
hamerhead replied to hamerhead's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Yeah, but they're made in Wisconsin. so waaaay worth it. Hmmmm....about 2 hours from here....and about 30 miles from Dave's in La Crosse......world's most expensive road trip...... -
I fell in love with a carbon fiber acoustic guitar (namely a small-bodied McPherson Touring) and the huge piano-like tone, and it got me wondering about the Rainsong A-WS1000 which claims to have an even more piano-like tone. Have you tried one?
-
IT' ALIVE!!!!!!!!! Migration to new host complete.
hamerhead replied to hikarateboy's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Steve - did you unplug it for 15 seconds and plug it back in again? -
IT' ALIVE!!!!!!!!! Migration to new host complete.
hamerhead replied to hikarateboy's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Holy shit I can breathe again. Thanks, Ted! -
Chi-Town Hamer Gathering In '26?
hamerhead replied to diablo175's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Oh reeeeeeally. All talk. -
NOTICE: HFC Site Migration and Impact
hamerhead replied to hikarateboy's topic in Hamer Fan Club Messageboard
Down for a few days?? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*****!!!!!! Seriously though, THANK YOU, TED! I have no idea what it takes to run one of these things but I appreciate all your work. It's been a great place to hang! -
'Feelin' Alright' was one of our favorite jam tunes in my last band. Great groove. And 'We Just Disagree' is such a beautiful song. 79 doesn't seem like enough. Damn. R.I.P., Mr. Mason.