Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Talladega Appreciation Thread...

gorch

TZiaQth.jpg?3O

Here is Earthen Maple Talladega #8 in the middle, along with some of the rest of the family. I'm actually much happier with how this guitar represents in person, in contrast to the eBay seller's pics which were perhaps a bit too high-def.

The guitar has typically great Hamer action. No neck or fret issues whatsoever. As for the DD's, I do enjoy the high end sparkle. I'm reserving judgment on the low end for now. I'm having fun with the four position switch, and I particularly enjoy 2 and 4- especially 2, as that is the perfect jangly sound I really love at times.

Looks like I have a keeper here- I really do get tones out of this one that are unique to anything else I own. :D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just something I'm hearing as I continue to play and learn about this guitar: the neck pickup (position 3 of 4 on the selector switch) seems a bit washed-out. There is a noticeable volume drop, and it sounds a like the tone knob has been rolled down in comparison to other neck pickups I'm used to. No such issues in any of the other 3 positions. Anyone else notice something similar in their own Tallys?

EDIT: never mind, the neck pickup was slammed down as far as it would go. ;) That was the biggest issue there.

• 2 weeks later...

D'oh! I got a bit busy, and this got away from me.

It is a bit late for a NGD thread at this point, so I'll try to get some pics of it in here in the next few days.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Its never too late for a NGD.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not as wowed by the DDs as many are. I was ready to yank the bridge for a hum bucker until I saw your suggestion elsewhere on how they should be adjusted. It's better, but something needs to change given it's got competition now.

IMG_0677_zps609bcb61.jpg

now that's what i'm talking about! i was never fully impressed with the DD's and have been wanting to do the PAF thing in my Tally for quite some time now. did you change out the 4-way switch to a 3-way? did you have to additionally change the pots or caps? i'll bet it sounds killer now! send me a PM, i'd love to talk to you about the modifications.

What was that suggestion for DD pickup adjustment again? I knew I had also read that on here somewhere...

To adjust the neck pickup for the best sound you can get with it far from the strings, and the bridge for the best you can get it to sound close to the strings. With the neck buried and bridge elevated it goes a long way to solve the volume balance between the two.

• 4 weeks later...

What was that suggestion for DD pickup adjustment again? I knew I had also read that on here somewhere...

To adjust the neck pickup for the best sound you can get with it far from the strings, and the bridge for the best you can get it to sound close to the strings. With the neck buried and bridge elevated it goes a long way to solve the volume balance between the two.

Your right, but It looks stupid.

Bm

• 2 weeks later...

Archived