Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I survived the 2010 Chicago HFC Jam!!

bubs_42

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, two full days past the event and I'm still flying. Best time I've had in eons.

First, all the wonderful words expressed here about Paul don't even scratch the surface of just how fantastic he is. Kind, witty, humble, open, engaging, personable, friendly, giving, gracious- I could go on for days. He just set a new standard for what humanity should aspire to be. I have been a Hamer fan since the beginning, but I now have an even greater appreciation and deeper love for them thanks to the man that started it all. And even though I've been bogged down in work since the event, every spare second I get is spent playing my Specials, and I SWEAR that they've somehow become even more amazing in their playability and tone, perhaps because some of Paul's mojo has been infused in them since he signed them for me. Thank you, Paul, for not only creating IMO the most stellar guitar line ever, but for being such a stellar human being.

I also want to send a HUGE thank you to the HFC and the Hamer family, the Herman brothers and Mr. Matthes in particular for putting together such a great event. It was magic.

And to all the members here who I had the pleasure of conversing and jamming with, what can I say? It was absolutely my pleasure to meet all of you, and I thank you for welcoming me so warmly. bubs, it was fantastic meeting you and your family (your daughter is such a doll!) and hanging out in between events, really looking forward to continuing our conversation. Greg, great meeting another brother from the "school of hard locks"! Maybe you, me and Sis should open a "guitar salon"- we can call it the "SHRED AND SHED". :( Travis, great hanging again, looking forward to seeing you later this week. Bruce, you are absolutely right, that "Kid" mouth jam was off the charts! Joe, Greg, Ray, Bruce, Carmie (and everyone else that hopped on stage during the "shredfest"), thanks for letting me join you- it had been 13 years since I last stepped on a stage or jammed with anyone, and you all made not only my night, but my decade.

So, when's the next one??? :lol:

Okay, I'll say it.

Paul was a terrible host.

He tried to trip me, and I caught him putting his finger in my salad.

He tried to lock Chris Herman in the bathroom.

He took a bottle of Maker's Mark from behind the bar and stuck it in an empty Hamer case. PREDETERMINED BEHAVIOR!!!!!

He's a sham.

Somenabitch. After playing that VHT I am absolutely gassing for one.

That could be the best sounding amp I have ever heard.

When Joe asked if I was bringing my Valvetech, I told him it wasn't necessary. There would be a VHT there.

It definitely cuts through a mix and is LOUD (which is Hectorp's way, god bless him).

Looks like I have a Marshall to sell.

Anybody know if that was the Pitbull 50CL or the 50ST?

I am thinking it was an ST.

Young Shredmeister....it was an ST. It was the first time I cranked it up....so I was just trusting in the lord.

I'm glad you liked it. I'll bring it next time so you can play it again.

Looks like I have a Marshall to sell.

Anybody know if that was the Pitbull 50CL or the 50ST?

I am thinking it was an ST.

Young Shredmeister....it was an ST. It was the first time I cranked it up....so I was just trusting in the lord.

I'm glad you liked it. I'll bring it next time so you can play it again.

I don't have gas for anything anymore. But I gotta have one of these! It was a pleasure playing it.

Thank you for bringing it along. Otherwise I would have never known there was an amp that sounded

so good.

Uh..does that mean I may need an attenuator ?

Very funny Gregory. How convienient that you called him to the stage just when I started that conversation. Hmmm?.. You jealous bitch! :lol: Really though, I had so much fun jamming with everybody on that stage. The energy was incredible and the tone was out of this world. I felt like a kid again. It's the fountain of youth I tell ya.

Joe

Very funny Gregory. How convienient that you called him to the stage just when I started that conversation. Hmmm?.. You jealous bitch! :lol: Really though, I had so much fun jamming with everybody on that stage. The energy was incredible and the tone was out of this world. I felt like a kid again. It's the fountain of youth I tell ya.

Joe

I had a blast playing with your sorry ass, skippy. We were both 16 up there, weren't we?

I just realized that's Mike Gorman from Off Broadway, USA! Damn, what a missed opportunity bug him for stories about "the old days".

For you young guys, Off Broadway was probably the finest Power Pop band of the late '70s to mid 80's, though they were overshadowed by Adamany Management stable-mates Cheap Trick. Songs like Stay in Time, Bad Indication, Full Moon (Turn My Head Around) and many others are examples of perfect songwriting technique. Off Broadway guitarist John Ivan is one of the most innovative, tasteful and instantly-identifiable lead guitar players I've ever heard.

Go to iTunes or Amazon and listen to "On" and "Quick Turns". Unless you're a pure metalhead, you will thank me.

BD, where were ya when I was posting trying to get somebody to join me for Bad Indication, Hang On For Love or Stay in Time??? I knew Mike was coming, but no one else seemed to be into the Chicago Power Pop experience (I am a fanatic for the stuff- John is one of my top four influences). I wanted to play some OB soooo bad!

I just realized that's Mike Gorman from Off Broadway, USA! Damn, what a missed opportunity bug him for stories about "the old days".

For you young guys, Off Broadway was probably the finest Power Pop band of the late '70s to mid 80's, though they were overshadowed by Adamany Management stable-mates Cheap Trick. Songs like Stay in Time, Bad Indication, Full Moon (Turn My Head Around) and many others are examples of perfect songwriting technique. Off Broadway guitarist John Ivan is one of the most innovative, tasteful and instantly-identifiable lead guitar players I've ever heard.

Go to iTunes or Amazon and listen to "On" and "Quick Turns". Unless you're a pure metalhead, you will thank me.

OMG! I know this isn't the Off Broadway usa thread but...

BD - It's always nice to hear from other Off Broadway usa fans! I have to say they were truly one of the greatest power pop bands that I have ever seen or heard! Great songs, catchy hooks, tight band... Great stage show with Cliff doin' his antics and John crankin' those cool leads (and that guitar over the shoulder stuff!)! Not to mention Rob, Mike (love that Hamer 8 string bass!) and Ken (what a great drunmmer!) - a tight, hot power pop/rock band... They truly should have been HUGE! And the band used Hamer almost exclusively... Sweeeeeet! I saw the band numerous times here around the Detroit area... All of my friends - including me - thought they would be a big as Cheap Trick! They had all the right ingredients! Just listen to "Bad Indication" "Stay In Time" or "Full Moon" - on the first record or "Automatic" "Are You Alone" or "Quick Turns" from the second... And hearing them live - those songs cranked hard - but with a pop edge... Wow! Again, nice to know there are still fans out there other than the ones I know here!

About the UFO thing... I saw Off Broadway usa with UFO in Detroit... They were booed here too (and given the finger!) - sorta crazy that it was the exact same response only in a different city... Cliff handled the crowd here and the band eventually won them over (sorta)... Although I love UFO - and for me it was a perfect pairing (i love both bands) - it was a bad idea/tour... Off Broadway usa should never have been on that tour as support... The wrong crowd for them... I agree - bad management... A tour with Cheap Trick, Babys, Cars - which I know they did support - even KISS, Foreigner or The Outfield - would be more appropriate/acceptable... Not gonna sell too many records or gain popularity playing in front of a crowd that doesn't wanna hear your stuff! A good match-up is key...

By the way - in case you have forgotten - I bought my red flame Hamer 12 string bass from you... Thanks!

Cliff

BD, where were ya when I was posting trying to get somebody to join me for Bad Indication, Hang On For Love or Stay in Time??? I knew Mike was coming, but no one else seemed to be into the Chicago Power Pop experience (I am a fanatic for the stuff- John is one of my top four influences). I wanted to play some OB soooo bad!

Svl: Next time I plan on being there... I would love to play some Off Broadway usa! "Hang On For Love"??? What a great song... Count me in... Either bass or guitar...

Cliff

Next time for sure. Heck, maybe we could even get Cliff to make an appearance.

The jam was a great time and I don't have much to add to the great shots already posted, but I did capture some moments via cellphone camera that I'd like to share:

The trip to Make-n-Music, where two groups of early arrivals first met:

IMG00264-20101015-1647.jpg

Rooftop dining at the Twisted Spoke - Minnesota guys:

IMG00267-20101015-1729.jpg

Stuffing five oversized HFC'ers into a Taurus:

IMG00269-20101015-1917.jpg

Effin' Matthes:

IMG00273-20101015-2028.jpg

Muse haulin' ice for the MN crew:

IMG00274-20101015-2031.jpg

Enjoying the ice cubes in the dumpy 51st floor room at Superior Place:

IMG00277-20101015-2054.jpg

Muse hauls us around - we carry his guitars.... deal!

IMG_1322.jpg

And now for some Jam photos:

Joe and Ferdie having some fun

IMG_1360.jpg

Muse posessed by snakes:

IMG_1363.jpg

Dave on Drums:

IMG_1333-1.jpg

More Duave:

IMG_1358.jpg

Shredmeister Bruce posessed and about to wail...

IMG_1341.jpg

Bloozguy Ray and Stevie Conlon:

IMG_1334.jpg

Bunch of HFC on the sofas upstairs:

IMG_1372.jpg

Oh, and a young lady who was in the room (drummer's girlfriend?). Yes, that is her ass hanging out from under the skirt.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Of course, the only picture I'm in so far and I'm texting! I suppose you don't average 10,000 text messages per month without getting caught on camera once in a while...

Sorry for chiming in late, but in general I prefer to be a bit under the radar. What a gas to meet all the wonderful HFC folks, not to mention the first person that greeted me at Cliff Dwellers was Paul Hamer. I'm standing there registering and he just walks up and offers his hand and says, "Hi, I'm Paul Hamer". Man, I was effin speechless.

It was sooo cool to put some faces with screen names, and just a pleasure to finally say "hey" to a few folks in person. It was equally great to watch a few bruddas get their mojo on at the jam. Some of the standout sh*t for me included the stellar job that CMatthes did in organizing and executing the whole gig. Wow, great job amigo. I've done crap like that before, and believe me there are a million details and plenty of blood sweat and tears that go in to not only planning, but pulling off a national event like that. My dorky hat is off for that one, bro. Well done and truly, we all cant thank you enough.

Secondly let me just say how freakin awsome the Herman Bros were on the stage. Ok, they've got me by a year or two, but dude, that sh*t was inspiring. I mean how crazy nuts was it to see Bob (?) laying down the leads in a sport coat with the readers hanging around his collar. Old dude badass is what that was. Totally love it. Those boys had major, major tone, and seemed super-cool to boot.

And Earachemyeye - handled the vocal duties like a troubador champ. Totally channeled R. Plant. Nice!

Always a pleasure to talk to Uncle Greg. There is just something warm and fuzzy about that bloke. Makes me just wanna order something...

And then there was the cat that just walked in and said, "I'm a friend of Paul's, can I borrow a guitar?". I gave the dude my goldtop and he just proceeded to rip it up on Stranglehold - including the vocs. That was way-cool. And like the dweeb I am I was just happy to see my guitar make the stage, although I dared not. But next time man, I'm telling you, its on.

Here's a fun one....

While helping the sound guy get the p.a. out of the van, I somehow caught my hand between a falling road case and the van wall. It hurt, but I didn't give it a thought. All through the evening, my left hand where the index finger attaches throbbed. The swelling wouldn't go down, even while holding a glass of ice water.

Long story, short....I broke my friggin' hand. The bone in the palm that the finger attaches to cracked right through. I have two gigs this weekend and it's STILL not comfortable to hold a guitar neck.

And it was worth it.

And it needs to be said that Stevie stepped up with power cables, a Marshall and other things that were indispensable for the gig.

Huzzah to Stevie, a consummate pro.

Apparently, the Excaliber is notorious for being a haunted location in Chicago.

One of my daughters told me this weekend about a spiritualist ("I see dead people") who made the following comment, specifically about the Dome Room where the jam occurred:

"I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH HAPPY GHOSTS."

Whether one believes in that stuff or not, I found that pretty interesting, considering the nature of the event...a collection of happy ghosts (memories).

...and Sorry about the hand Greg

Archived