DavidE Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Here's an interesting article from the NY Times, written from theperspective of a semi-baffled spouse.whmSleeping With the Guitar PlayerBy JEAN HANFF KORELITZIN the Ages of Man, there are the classics - infancy, childhood,adulthood. We have the Midlife Crisis, of course, so dear to therapistsand second wives everywhere. There is adolescence, which in some menseems to last, oh, well, when does it end? But in the last few yearsI've experienced, via my husband, another masculine stage, one I'd beenblissfully unaware of. This is the time of a man's life that I must nowand forever think of as the Guitar-in-the-Basement phase.Six years ago, when my husband, Paul Muldoon, a poet who teaches atPrinceton, brought home an electric guitar, carried it down to thebasement of our house in New Jersey and plugged it in, I was laughingtoo hard to absorb the enormity of what was happening. I knew he lovedmusic. Growing up in Ireland during the 1960's, he was present at thebirth of British rock, and he knew far more about American blues andits influence on both sides of the Atlantic than I had ever cared tolearn. He leaped into action when the U2 tickets went on sale and haddragged me, over the years, to many, many concerts I despised. (I oncefell asleep listening to Bob Dylan at the Beacon Theater.)Still, I failed to realize that the very loud sounds coming frombeneath the living room floor portended great changes for our family. Iwas pregnant with our second child at the time, and to be honest, Iwasn't focusing very well. When Paul played his guitar in the basement,the whole building vibrated, and I would sit there, one story up,swaying with nausea. When I couldn't stand it any longer, I went to thetop of the basement stairs and flicked the light to get his attention."Please. Stop." He stopped. But not for long.This was not, I would soon discover, a mere matter of purchasing asingle musical instrument. We were on an acquisition conveyor belt ofmore guitars and related equipment, the charms of each soon negated bythe undulations of the next. After that first guitar, a Cort, and itssidekick amplifier, Paul ordered up a Fender Stratocaster, a Gibson LesPaul, a Marshall amp, a reissue of a 1952 Telecaster ("like the guitarKeith plays"), an Ibanez acoustic/electric and a Fender Acoustasonicamp.It was a new and unwelcome side of a man I thought I'd known prettywell, a man who never shopped, who wore a watch with a cracked plasticband, and who drove an old unlovely car, knocked askew by a deer adecade ago. Now he was making special trips to Sam Ash in New York City(I imagined the salesmen nudging one another, "Here comes anotherGuitar-in-the-Basement dude, dude."). It was getting crowded down thereunder the floorboards.Gradually, I began to understand that it wasn't just him. There werehoards of men out there, roughly his age, frolicking in guitarwonderlands and shoring up amp arsenals in their own basements. In theweeks after Sept. 11, when I began each sad day with the Portraits ofGrief in The New York Times, I read again and again of men commutinghome from their working lives, descending their basement stairs, androcking their Jersey or Westchester or Long Island houses to therafters.Once, at a friend's dinner party, Paul was seated next to a terriblydull financial manager I'd been shackled with during cocktails. To mysurprise, they quickly began an avid conversation, which lasted allthrough the meal. I kept my eye on them, at a loss to imagine what theymight possibly have found to talk about, let alone with such animation."He has a Stratocaster in his basement," Paul said happily as we drovehome. "He just got a wah-wah pedal."Inevitably, Paul started to play with some of these men. There was alawyer who possessed an entire recording studio in his apartment, thena professor of Renaissance poetry with a vast collection of guitars.Initially, heading out after dinner with the guitar packed into theback seat was a grand occasion, a thrilling adventure for him, if notfor me, but soon it became a more routine outing. "You don't mind if Irehearse tonight, do you?" he'd ask. Rehearse? I'd think, baffled. Hewas still learning basic chords on the instrument. Rehearse?It took a long time for me to figure out what I was dealing with. ButI'm a woman, which means that, in my heart of hearts, I have longunderstood that certain things are never going to happen in my life. Iwon't, by way of example, be modeling swimsuits for Sports Illustrated,representing my country as an Olympic gymnast or dancing Coppélia forthe New York City Ballet.I have dealt with these disappointments and, in the idiom of our age,moved on. But my husband - my wonderful, endearing husband, who isextremely successful at writing and teaching poetry - believed, at theage of 53, that it was utterly possible for him to become a rockguitarist. On a stage. In front of an audience.Our 12-year-old daughter dubbed the new band Freaks With Guitars, butthe actual name encompassed a more subtle humor. They were calledRackett, and by now the three older men had been joined by three cuteyoung guys, just out of college. They started writing songs: theRenaissance poetry professor on music, my husband on lyrics.A COUPLE of those cute young guys could really sing. The Renaissancepoetry professor was a superb guitar player, actually. Within months,the recordings made in the lawyer's studio were sounding not all thatdifferent from the music my 12 year old was blasting in her room. Thekeyboardist, who runs his own breath-mint company, began to talk aboutproducing the eventual CD's.I no longer bothered to try to talk some sense into my husband. Whatsense, after all? My notion of reality had departed the day I came hometo find Paul playing, over and over, a recorded phone message from oneof the few rock stars we both revered, Warren Zevon. Mr. Zevon had readsome of his poetry. When Paul hit "play" on the answering machine, Iheard the author of "Werewolves of London" and "Excitable Boy"pronounce my husband "The best damn poet on the planet."In due course they would meet, become friends, and write two songstogether, including "My Ride's Here," the title track of Mr. Zevon'spenultimate album. Books about the music business began to accumulatein our bathroom. Paul formed a publishing company to register hislyrics, and became a member of Ascap. Copies of Spin and Guitar Worldbegan to arrive monthly, along with an inexhaustible supply of Sam Ashcatalogs. Rackett was offered its first gig, in a Greenwich Villageclub. The band's catalog of original songs stretched to 30, then 50.Bruce Springsteen produced a live recording of "My Ride's Here" forWarren Zevon's posthumous tribute album.I refuse to conclude from all this that I have been unknowingly marriedto a rock star for nigh on 18 years. I simply could not have been thatunobservant, failing to notice the spandex in the closet, the tour busin the garage, the groupies at the mailbox. Nor is this a story aboutyears of hard work, prodigious innate musical talent and patient honingof "craft" reaching their inevitable, just conclusion.It occurs to me that much of his success in this odd endeavor derivesfrom the fact that he just didn't know the whole thing was impossible,that his dearth of musicality, advanced age and lack of Rock Star lipsmeant that it was flatly impossible for him to become the thing he haddecided he wanted to become. Then again, some of that obtuseness mighthave derived from being male in the first place.Unlike women, for whom menopause serves as an unignorable transition, aline dividing one part of life from another, men have no midlife markerto brake before, or even to steer around, in the hinterland from theiryouth to their age; there is only a great, elastic middle. Is it anywonder they lose track of where they are, and think they can doanything? And evidence being what it is, I'm forced to concur. ShouldPaul waltz in tomorrow and announce that he has decided to become anengineer, a painter or a matinee idol, I'm afraid I will be forced togive him the benefit of the doubt.ON stage, he looks like a middle-aged Irish poet, bespectacled, dressedin the same rumpled suit he teaches in. He is not a great musician andstill can play only seven chords (which is four more than you need, hepoints out). But to succeed at anything is just so unlikely in thefirst place. Why should the fact that he's 53 and a musical neophytemake watching his band rock out on stage any more bizarre for me? Whyshould I be so surprised by the possibility of being surprised?Then again, one of the great pleasures of being shocked by some amazingthing a loved one does is being aftershocked by something in ourselves.I'll admit that I have now done things I never thought I'd do, likebounce up and down in the dark basement of a rock club with a host of20-somethings, an activity that might have recalled my lost youth had Iever done it when I myself was a 20-something. I have seen things Inever thought I'd see, like a group of college students raising a signwith Paul's name on it in the audience at a Rackett performance.And I have said something I never thought I'd say, at the stage door ofa New York club, as I attempted to carry his guitar - one of hisguitars! - downstairs to the dressing room. The bouncer, after givingme a very dubious look, wondering, perhaps, if I hadn't just wanderedin off a New Jersey soccer field (which was precisely where I'd been afew hours earlier), asked if he could help me."That's all right," I told him, hoisting the guitar. "I'm with theband."Jean Hanff Korelitz lives near Princeton, N.J., with her husband andtwo children. She is the author of three novels, including "The WhiteRose" (Miramax Books).
formula73 Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 I'm not sure how that makes me feel. At 25, I've felt about myself the exact dubious sentiments she voiced, but I think thoughts like that are waaaaaaay too deep for rock and roll. Fuck it dude, that rocks. "Never give up; never surrender!"
Michael_ Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Hey, I'm only 19 and I thought it was really great. Kind of a glimpse into the lives of the majority of my fellow forum members.
kizanski Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Wow!That all sounded waaayyy too familiar.Except for the success a recognition part.
wyldbil Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Thanks David. Very poignant and makes me feel like maybe I'm NOT wasting my time! ;o)
kurtsstuff Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 I'm 44 (look 29...lol!) so....there's still a chance huh?? HEY MAN!...WE'RE PUTTIN THE BAND BACK TOGETHER DUDE!!! lol...
belgian Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Great !!! Recognised a lot in it. I am almost 49.
bbobb24 Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 That's an incredible story, thanks for sharing it. So at the ripe old age of 36 it's not too late.I'll have to print that and let my wife ready it
GusS Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/...rts/11615.shtmlhttp://www.rackett.org
John E Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 That all sounded waaayyy too familiar.Except for the success a recognition part. I'm with you on that. I started out thinking, "man, this sounds familiar!" Then suddenly he was writing songs with Warren Zeavon and I was still wanking in the basement alone.
ZR Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 John E, You DO mean playing your guitar in the basement right?!
John E Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 John E,You DO mean playing your guitar in the basement right?! Oh yeah. That too.
copper blue Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 perfect!! I've been really close lately to just saying fark it and residing myself to being a basement rocker or just fostering my kids' love of music...It's been almost 4 years since I decided to start playing again after leaving it for years. I quit my first and only band to take on the responsibilty of being a grown up...well it's funny, because the guy I'm being totally fanboy about at this time, Nels Cline, was the catalyst for my picking up the guitar again.. I was listening to "Chinese Firedrill" from Mike Watt's Ball Hog or Tug Boat and it hit me..an epiphany..I had to play music again..It's been a rough few years and many projects started and fizzled and I've been thinking how fruitless the searches for people to play with has been..I got really depressed last week thinking about it..This gives me hope..I'm 32 for the record..Rob
Nuclear Wessel Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 41 here, with a lovely and supportive lady in my life, a vast collection of guitars, and a complete recording studio in my condo. No commercial success in sight, but like the guy in the story, I have no awareness that it CAN't happen. Recognition? Friends and locals who hear my music think it's very good(Editted to add: And my parents still don't get my music!), and if that's all the success I ever achieve, that's fine. Mid-life crisis? I'm having a blast!!!
MCChris Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Just this past Saturday I got together with two of my oldest friends who also happened to be the bass player and drummer of my first real band. We ran through our old material, some of which we hadn't played in more than 15 years, like we had never stopped playing together. It was a blast.
Guest cruster Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 I'm 38 (well, I will be this year) and other than during my lessons, I've never played out. About the closest I intend to come to being 'in a band' is to buy a PA (hey, anyone recommend a good stereo PA setup for back yard, annoying the neighbors kind of fun? Bottom feeder friendly would be nice...) and set it up in the back yard this summer...have a couple of guys over and piss off the anal lawn freak next door.
Nuclear Wessel Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Have you guys heard of Proto-Kaw? Kerry Livgren's band in probably the late 60's/early 70's, before he joined Kansas. When he left, these guys pretty much quit doing much musically, settled down, got regular jobs, raised families. Now, 30 years later, they've gotten back together and are touring. I heard an interview with Livgren in which he said their first jam sessions were like they took up right where they left off. Never missed a step. These guys could still play these tunes they'd played together 30 years ago. Livgren said for him it's just another tour, but the rest of the band is just elated to be touring with this material after all this time.http://www.protokaw.com/
Buzzy Fretts Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 Cool article. Hey David! Do you have a link to the original NYTimes story? Thanks.
DavidE Posted March 14, 2005 Author Posted March 14, 2005 Cool article. Hey David! Do you have a link to the original NYTimes story? Thanks. Sorry Buzz: That came off of a newsgroup.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.