Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Guitar brands that repel you?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll add one that I'd have trouble buying, and actually what led to me getting my first Hamer recently. And please let me know if I'm wrong. I like the look of Gibson's, but I've seen too many that have broken/cracked headstocks. I read somewhere that it may have to do with the sharper angle/ thinner wood. Then again, it may just be a numbers game with so many out there. When I was looking for a Les Paul, seemed like a lot had broken at some time. In any case, that's what led me to a Hamer Monaco Elite recently, and I'm very happy with that. Now, as a bass player maybe someday I'll learn to play it.

(And for basses, not that anyone asked, EBMM. I'm not a fan of Sting Rays, but like Sterlings. It's ridiculous, but I don't like the the shape of the pickgaurd. But if it plays well, I'd ignore that.)

I think if you bought a reverse V you should be stuck with it as a penalty

Pretty sure most people who bought them are stuck with them forever.

:) Ouch!

I love me some lawn dart, great guitars, sound and play top notch, string thru, gold h/w, '57s, unique, a must have for any V fan! I've bought four and sold two making a couple hundred on each so there are at least a few of us oddballs out there.

Now that Rev Explorer, that is a bridge too far even for people who like "unique". Although if they had just reversed a classic explorer and not gone for the weird carbon look I probably would have taken a look.

I don't get the Heritage hate at all. I find them cool. As of their resale value, that's an advantage for those who like bargaining in the used market. I mean, I would purchase a used one. I just have other priorities, but I do like the Heritage brand.

BTW, I also see several posts here about hideous and/or useless guitar, but to me that's OT, because disliking a specific model doesn't make us a brand hater. For example, I love Dean, but I do hate their Dime line. Equally, I find the reverse V a total waste, but that doesn't make me a Gibson hater. And so on. :)

I'm an unabashed 'country-of-origin' snob.

I hate any 'new' guitar brand that hangs on the walls of Guitar Center. ALL of them. Cheap, Asian-import firewood - burn it all.

USA-guitars - I'll give them a shot, no matter what's on the headstock. BC Rich USA shredder? Sure, I'll have a look....maybe a Nagel design just for the nostalgia? A USA Dean with a 3x3 headstock? A USA Custom-shop Washburn or ESP or Ibanez? I'd try it.

PRS - I'm on the fence.

everything but Hamer.

I'm an unabashed 'country-of-origin' snob.

I hate any 'new' guitar brand that hangs on the walls of Guitar Center. ALL of them. Cheap, Asian-import firewood - burn it all.

USA-guitars - I'll give them a shot, no matter what's on the headstock. BC Rich USA shredder? Sure, I'll have a look....maybe a Nagel design just for the nostalgia? A USA Dean with a 3x3 headstock? A USA Custom-shop Washburn or ESP or Ibanez? I'd try it.

PRS - I'm on the fence.

Nagel. Huhuhuhu ... Boi-oi-oing!

Archived