Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Guitar brands that repel you?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. Stock answer: Any company too fucking lazy to offer a decent left handed model.

Now that that's out of the way. I try not to judge the guitar itself, rather the douchebags associated with them. For example:

Fender and Gibson... Lawyer-Dad: The Weekend Jam Master. And John Mayer. No thanks, sir. No thanks.

PRS...90s generic post grunge navel gazers, trying to look angry and serious playing a $4,000 chunk of wood.

Schecter....Take your dipped in plastic guitar and go crab-walk somewhere else, Screamo Kid.

If I think hard enough, I can bad mouth anything. ^_^

And what's with the Carvin hate? Are they really that crappy?

I was thinking of ordering one...but now, damn. I might have to post a new topic on that.

Ibanez - mostly the shredder stuff. Just ugly guitars made for dreadful meadly mee-ing.

PRS - just don't get the vibe of them, and I hate the look of the inlay birds the recessed knobs.

DEAN import line. They all must be made for 5 year old kids who never listened to anything but the dumbest metal music

Line 6 digital guitars that can sound like "any other guitar on the market" with a twist of a knob. Shoot me please!

I have a hard time with most furniture guitar stuff. And any guitar with a cute animal used as an inlay: birds, dolphins, teddy bears or koala bears - just does not cut it for rock and roll.

Most brands I don't like have been named here. Though, I'd love to try a Heritage, they look nice to me. Schecter, Kramer and ESP guitars from the 80's I also like. Never got into Ibanez, PRS, Washburn, Peavey, Dean, Carvin, Hagstrom, Ovation, Parker. I don't like what Gibson produces nowadays, but I like what they did from late-70's to mid-80's. Some Fender stuff I still like, though the best Fender stuff I like was made 1998-2005 (I also loved the 80's stuff). I would have loved to like Charvel/Jackson, but somehow their neck profile doesn't do it for me. As a bass player I dislike Hartke, Galien Krueger and Eden stuff. I don't like guitar rack amps (though I remember I was interested in a Mesa Boogie Quad preamp and a Rivera TBR) and Rocktron effects and all those floor multi effects boards...

I'm not really a hater. I'm able to appreciate any instrument in spite of its brand. There are brands which of course I feel naturally attracted to (Hamer, Dean, Hoyer, Framus...), but in general I'm open to anything with a fixed bridge, a V-body, a set neck with a chunky profile, a 3x3 headstock and a short scale. What it says on the headstock becomes instantly superfluous if I like how it plays, looks and sounds. :)

For just gut, irrational dislike, I bid PRS.

I actually own two that I picked up in trades for guns. They both play and sound fantastic. I just can't connect with them and I often wonder why. It's just visceral. The PRSs are just trade-bait, now.

On that note... if anyone is looking to trade for a Tally Pro (apologies for the broken record).

I'm with you on your last three. Heritage is to guitars what granny panties are to underwear.

Ha!

Yep. My list is:

-Carvin

-Heritage

-Godin

-Epiphone (import Gibson copies-the old ones are cool)

-anything BC Rich or Dean after 1982 (-the earlier stuff I like)

-Hondo II

-Hagstrom

And what's with the Carvin hate? Are they really that crappy?

I was thinking of ordering one...but now, damn. I might have to post a new topic on that.

Yes. I don't care what people claim about the Holdsworth model, etc. they're simply horrid in my experience. I actually quit a band because the guitar player refused to stop using his Carvin.

For me its easier to name the brands I would fill rooms with (that is, with enough money time and space):

US Hamer

US build Washburn (biiiig surprise)

US build Dean

US build Peavey

US Ovations

Obsession for US made guitars? Who? Me? Nah...:-)

Anyway: enough for one man and one life...

In general:

1. Any brand where the builder (be it a luthier or big manufacturer) acts like a rock star himself/itself.

2. Any brand (or model) where a retailer has a so-called/self-pronounced exclusive himself/itself, and the retailer acts like a rock star (yes, the late Ed Roman comes to mind, but so do big box retailers, where salespersons aren't salespersons---they're order takers)

3. Imported Epiphones

4. Any relic'ed guitar

5. Any brand that seems to be overpriced for reasons that don't seem valid

I'm with you on your last three. Heritage is to guitars what granny panties are to underwear.

I almost spit my coffee out laughing at your post! I'll be chuckling under my breath about this one all day.

One second thought, this could be a whole separate thread - "Guitars and their underwear counterparts".

Great laugh.

This would have been a great question 10 years ago, but frankly 95% of the guitars made sound the same. I feel for naive young musicians going into shops these days and walking out with a guitar and amp that sounds like garbage.

I beg to differ. Budget gear is better than it's ever been IMO. I wish there was stuff of this quality back when I was starting out.

The ones that immediately spring to mind are the hideous reverse v's and explorers, (completely pointless, pun intended) they can go straight into the furnace.

Any Gibson guitar of the month can get fucked too especially if it's been relic'ed.

No PRS ever did it for me but I don't hate them just don't want one.

Never played a Huber but their pricing repels me.

DEAN import line. They all must be made for 5 year old kids who never listened to anything but the dumbest metal music

I just found an import Dean (Dean Z Playmate) that I love the tone!

I haven't considered myself a 5-year-old since I was, say 5 years old...but I can't really argue with the "never listened to anything but the dumbest metal music" part.

......Budget gear is better than it's ever been IMO. I wish there was stuff of this quality back when I was starting out.

Agreed. My first guitars were definitely character builders.

Archived