Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any Black Cherry Burst Newport fans?


tonefiend
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi HFC,

I recently picked up this Newport Pro in excellent shape. It has a few minor dings and scratches, but overall very solid. Oh, and it sounds freaking killer; one of the best sounding Newport Pros I've played/owned. I bought this for my son for Christmas, but I may have to rethink his gift. :) 

I'll admit, the Black Cherry Burst wasn't my favorite Hamer finishes, but in person the depth of the burst and the fade on this is remarkable - so much dimension. The back of the neck looks like it's on fire when in playing position. The Newport is my favorite Hamer model. I regret every one I've sold.

Any fans of the Black Cherry Burst finish? Here's a few photos. They do not do it justice.

IMG_0864copy.jpg.45cec2e3d82ba2bfe5734a9b12353e2c.jpg

IMG_0857copy.jpg.bd31be03122041f599c7c028d7fa578d.jpg

Edited by tonefiend
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s BLACK Cherry Burst.  Cherry Burst is Hamer’s ‘59Burst (which also looks great on Newports!).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tonefiend changed the title to Any Black Cherry Burst Hamer Newport fans?
  • tonefiend changed the title to Any Black Cherry Burst Newport fans?

Great score! Congratulations. My 1st Newport Pro was/is Black Cherry Burst with Seths. I was disappointed to find out that most of you Fans are not fans of the color. So, I bought a couple others. Orange Sparkle seems to be a favorite flavor, but I sold the one I had. It didn't play or sound any better than the BCB. I love the look of the Newports with spruce tops and natural finish, but the one I played didn't seem to sound any better than my BCB. To me, Phat Cats or Seth Lovers is the question, color doesn't seem to matter.

But I've never had the opportunity to play a blue one. 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

Beautiful guitar!!! I agree about the Newport line and yes, I regret everyone that I sold.

Indeed. I wish I still had the orange Newport Pro I sold you. :) I still have my orange sparkle Newport. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Hbom said:

Great score! Congratulations. My 1st Newport Pro was/is Black Cherry Burst with Seths. I was disappointed to find out that most of you Fans are not fans of the color. So, I bought a couple others. Orange Sparkle seems to be a favorite flavor, but I sold the one I had. It didn't play or sound any better than the BCB. I love the look of the Newports with spruce tops and natural finish, but the one I played didn't seem to sound any better than my BCB. To me, Phat Cats or Seth Lovers is the question, color doesn't seem to matter.

But I've never had the opportunity to play a blue one. 

 

 

Thanks. The black cherry burst Newport Pro I just got has a nice crisp, cutting sound and also balanced. The orange sparkle Newport I have is very balanced, alive, and full of bloom.  There's something about the way Newports look that I really like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, topekatj said:

I tried to buy that Newport, as it’s located semi close to me. The seller and I agreed to meet last Saturday, but decided to keep it. So, I bought this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Black Cherry Burst is a killer finish, and definitely pulls that cool '60s/'70s import vibe. 

 

Mine is a 59Burst (Cherry Sunburst), which is cool in it's own way to me.

MyNewport12andbestfriend.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

The Black Cherry Burst is a killer finish, and definitely pulls that cool '60s/'70s import vibe. 

 

Mine is a 59Burst (Cherry Sunburst), which is cool in it's own way to me.

MyNewport12andbestfriend.jpg

Showstopper!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2022 at 8:36 PM, tonefiend said:

I tried to buy that Newport, as it’s located semi close to me. The seller and I agreed to meet last Saturday, but decided to keep it. So, I bought this one.

Holy cat poop!  I tried to buy that Newport on ~Nov. 11-12.  We'd come to an agreement on price and shipping, but the next day, he decide he "was going to hang on to the Hamer."  I thought it was just the inconvenience of shipping it and dealing with electronic payment, but now I wonder....  And the ad is still up.

I ended up buying a different Newport off of Reverb. I'll start a NGD thread when it arrives.

 

Oh, and that Newport Pro looks amazing, @tonefiend

 

Edited by jer_vic
fixed dates
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...