Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Retro 'Budget Boutique' For Hipsters, Or What?

One of these  (a 'Flyweight Shirley' model) showed up at a favorite music shop recently.  I'd never heard of the company or the guitar before, it seems to be a reasonably thought out guitar (no worse than some others I've seen in the past) with the exception of the price, which is about a Grand used for the base 'Shirley' model, and about 40% higher in price for a new one.  Am I just being an old curmudgeon with my head (and my budget) stuck in The Nineties?  BTW, I use the phrase 'Budget Boutique' very loosely here, as in my mind the winner of that title still goes to the old Hamer USA Specials and Special FMs of the '90's: 

https://baferguson.com/

The company website says the wood is 'sustainably sourced', and the guitar is Made In USA (El Paso, TX to be exact), but I dunno if anybody wants to spend money on guitars with Poplar bodies and 'Meranti' (AKA Lauan or Philippine 'Mahogany', which isn't actually Mahogany at all) necks.  Of course, there are fancier models, which are also accordingly more expensive.  So, is this the trend of the future, or just trendy salesmanship?

Edited by crunchee

Well, they have one of my pet peeves, which is an About tab on their website that I'd think tells me something about who started or is running the company.  But, no, just order, artist, dealers and a form to no doubt put you on a mailing list or sell your info.  

• Like 3

The designs are intriguing, but I'm having a hard time overlooking the brand name.

91a5afe6-5e21-4116-9705-8c28301eabc3_tex

ETA:  That Shirley body shape is somewhat reminiscent of the Hondo and Kramer Paul Dean models.

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Or the Oneders.  B)

I remember watching that movie and thinking "They really needed to play 'That Thing You Do'" a few more times. 🤪 

Also in defense of Potsie I just saw him playing a Tele on youtube. Pretending to play. 🎸

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

Am I just being an old curmudgeon with my head (and my budget) stuck in The Nineties? 

https://baferguson.com/

From where I’m sitting being stuck in the 90’s does not make you a curmudgeon. It makes you a whipper snapper since I’m stuck in the 70’s. Early 70’s at that. Can you dig it ? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kizanski said:

It certainly doesn't help that he is sans cymbal and high hat.

Their guitars aren't plugged into any sort of amp, either. Of course, that pesky fact didn't stop music showcase programs of that era from doing the same (e.g., American Bandstand, Top of the Pops, Soiid Gold) and the players on those shows were living, breathing humans as opposed to cartoon characters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Their guitars aren't plugged into any sort of amp, either. Of course, that pesky fact didn't stop music showcase programs of that era from doing the same (e.g., American Bandstand, Top of the Pops, Soiid Gold) and the players on those shows were living, breathing humans as opposed to cartoon characters.

That said, Archie has the Potsie Weber neck pantomime finger style down pat. 
Reggie is just in his own world.  He might even be playing a different song for all we know.

archie-comics-playing-instruments-01bh1n

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

(e.g., American Bandstand, Top of the Pops, Soiid Gold) and the players on those shows were living, breathing humans as opposed to cartoon characters.

I’m not so sure about that. 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

and at least some of the players on those shows were living, breathing humans as opposed to cartoon characters.

OK, Rob. I fixed it.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 5:34 PM, kizanski said:

They look like guitars Potsie would play.  

On 7/10/2023 at 5:48 PM, kizanski said:

They look like the guitars cartoon characters used to play. 

On 7/10/2023 at 6:04 PM, kizanski said:

They should change their name to Supply Chain.  They’re that sexy.  

On 7/11/2023 at 8:54 AM, kizanski said:

It certainly doesn't help that he is sans cymbal and high hat.

You're on a roll!

• Like 1