Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How god do you find the hamer imports?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a red Slammer in some super Strat config that played really sweet- had a Schaller Floyd that was every bit as responsive as any of my current trems. Yeah, the pickups were a little weak sounding but back then, I didn't know shite about quality pickups.

Right this very moment while I'm looking through the HFC, I'm wanking on my Korean Cali that has had Seymour's (Zebra '59 and a Lil '59 in the neck) and a OFR put in- super sweet for the bucks paid.

Too broad a question as there are too many imports, so I can't vote.

The Korean Hamers are great. I still own my Vector.

The chinese ones don't seem as good to me, but they're really good for the price. Don't know the slammers.

"...it totally dilutes the brand equity and identity of the original brand. I'm philosophically opposed to it."

You can philosophically kiss my butt, dude, and my Korean-made Hamer will still sound great after I beat on your USA-made guitar with it. If I tear mine to pieces beating yours to the same state I'm only out about $75. I'm looking for a reason to upgrade, so where do you live?

Kidding, of course. I find snobs (and random violence) to be tiresome at best.

ive had my korean stellar 3 for a few years now and it was my go to guitar before i got my first real good guitar (04 gibson flying v)

the stellar 3 is a pritty decent guitar, has a HSS config, wilki trem, set neck, duncan designed pickups, with a coil tap for the humbucker. it sounds pritty decent, but the frets are way to low from the factory IMO, and dosent stay in tune at all.

good for only $225 bucks, but if id ever gig with it id at least wana get it refretted and some new tuners

so i voted good, but still ya get what ya pay for

"...it totally dilutes the brand equity and identity of the original brand. I'm philosophically opposed to it."

You can philosophically kiss my butt, dude, and my Korean-made Hamer will still sound great after I beat on your USA-made guitar with it. If I tear mine to pieces beating yours to the same state I'm only out about $75. I'm looking for a reason to upgrade, so where do you live?

Kidding, of course. I find snobs (and random violence) to be tiresome at best.

+1

There are imports that are of very good build quality and play as well as many "Made in USA" guitars I've tried. Unfortunately, there are also many guitarist or guitar buyers that don't realize this, and pay premium prices for what they consider premium guitars which further confines those with less cash in their pocket to imports.

One of biggest regrets I have when it comes to equipment is an Epiphone I let go a few years ago. I also own, or have owned imports from Jackson, Fender, Washburn, Ibanez, Aria and Dean that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

No one will ever convince me the ROI on a $3500 guitar is better than a $350 guitar.

I had an old friend of mine stop by a few weeks back with an recent Achtop Sunburst XT she picked up off of a local ad. It was in need of new strings & a good set up. Bridge was all out of adjstment. After I got it cleaned up back in playable cond. It was a very good sounding/playing guitar. I was impressed. The person who had it before put a new set of tuners on it.

... pickup/pots/switch/jack change and a fret dress it does its job well.

Confirm. That does it.

Keep the wood and painting and replace anything else. Tonal satisfaction for still low money.

... pickup/pots/switch/jack change and a fret dress it does its job well.

Confirm. That does it.

Keep the wood and painting and replace anything else. Tonal satisfaction for still low money.

Well, if you own a Vector XT, replacing the stock pickups is not even necessary. They sound really great!

BTW, I sold last week my beloved Centaura Slammer Series. It was made in Korea back in the early nineties. I regret it already. The Slammer Series are almost as good as any American guitar I've ever played. :,-(

I owned an Echotone and a 5-string CruiseBass, both were Korean. The Echotone was actually a pretty nice guitar, I thought the stock Duncan Designed pickups sounded good...a little dark but good. The CruiseBass was also pretty good. If I had kept it, I would have upgraded the pickups but it was a good player. I, unfortunately, am not a 5-string player (as I've finally figured out) but if I was, I would have probably kept it.

I own a Korean Vector XT and it sounds and plays sweet. Still my main axe, though I am forcing myself to play more my Vector KK (you know, USA-made, mahogany, it sounds great and everything… but my Asian babe is sooo sweet! ;)).

I also owned a Chinese Standard. Sounded, looked and played great; but I have big hands (and wrists and forearms), so I let her go because I couldn't reach the higher frets easily because of the Explorer-shape. I guess I'm stuck to Vees forever.

In any case, I can recommend safely both models. I've only remarked some very minor painting flaws: my V has a thin line of about one inch on the upper side of the body that looks like a crack, but it actually is the painting. The Standard had a small drop-like paint protuberance in the back of the headstock. Both defects are barely noticeable, even when looking from very very close.

And i bought his Californian imported with boomers, which is an amazing guitar

it was untill some time ago, my best sounding guitar (pups are not stock)

I have 90's Korean Eclispe that I really like along with a 93 Daytona. Like other's have said the pickup's and tuners are the weekest point of these guitars. For the price you can get these for there a no brianer. Mine was $135 including shipping off flea bay! I figure if I put another $100 to $150 I still have a bargin guitar!

I had a Korean flattop Special that was OK but I didn't bond with it. Sold.

I had a Korean Vector. It played and sound great, but something about the headstock and the Hamer logo didn't gel with me. Sold.

I have a Korean Standard. I love that guitar and it's a keeper.

I have a MIC Scarab. Too pointy for me, it's for sale. The previous guy put Gotohs on it and it now has Duncan Designed covered pickups. Can't say anything bad about it, but it's not my thing.

Korean SATF with the dreaded Slammer denotation. Gibson 490 pickups. I take it to shows as a backup all the time. Nice guitar.

MIC CX something-or-other. Decent cheap guitar, but it spends most of its life hanging on the wall.

• 1 year later...

There are very positive reports about the Special Jr. P90 XT in Germany at the moment from guys who have actually bought the guitar.

I have a nanner white 1990's "Daytona" MIK clone (Hamer MIK, not Slammer Series). I have made no changes at all and have owned this guitar longer than any other in my small herd. It is a very stratty strat and plays very well. I reach for it as often as any other guitar.

Your mileage may vary.

morningstar

The first import guitar I got was in in the '70s when I couldn't afford anything from Gibson or Fender. It was an Ibanez LP Custom for way less than 1/2 the price. Everybody snubbed it until they played it or heard it. Wish I still had it.

Imo, with good machining and real solid tone woods (no plywood or photo grains), the imports can be excellent guitars. Our local guitar tech always says to stick with clear or transparent finishes so you can inspect the lumber and joinery. Even some of the electronics are decent nowadays.

There are very positive reports about the Special Jr. P90 XT in Germany at the moment from guys who have actually bought the guitar.

I can second that (here in the UK), I changed out the pup and bridge and it's seen a lot of play. Great instrument especially considering the 'pocked change' price tag.

Some of the Hamer Imports are great. My Korean Slammer series is also a nice axe, but hasn't seen too much action since I got my Artist a few years back.

I've had import guitars from various manufacturers - the best one is my Jackson SL3 (Made in Japan) which is a fantastic guitar.

The other MIJ Jacksons I've had (RR3,KE3,DK2,DK2M) were alright, but nothing special. The older MIJ Jackson I have, a JDR94, is fantastic, even though it was a lower end model it's better than the other ones I mentioned except the SL3.

My Hamer's - the Korean Slammer Series sunburst is a lovely guitar, I upgraded the pots for CTS, orange drop cap, Grover tuners and DiMarzio pickups. I play it a lot.

My new favourite toy is the apparent POS SLAMMER by Hamer explorer type XP-1 I got dirt cheap off ebay. I've only upgraded the bridge pickup so far, and got rid of the truly horrendous headstock logo, but I can't stop playing it! I've read horror stories about these guitars - they're made from horrible plywood and stuff like that, but I don't see it with this one, I must have got lucky. It's a solidly built, well put together guitar that's on a par with the Chinese Epiphones I've had (if not the Korean Black Beauty I own).

My Korean Slammer Diablo (early 90s, Cort factory) was my best guitar til 2 years ago. I changed the p-ups from Duncan Designed to EMG HZs & trem from licensed to Gotoh FR late on but it was good with stock. Not quite as good as my US Cent but excellent guitars. I can't vouch for the later models or Chinese ones as I never tried 'em & am unlikely too since switching to US Hamers...

My Korean Diablo Slammer (modded & pinked) - now sold btw...

Diablo.jpg

It seems today I'm in the mood to put some pics to attendance. Here's my MIK Standard. It has undergone a lot of changes over the years, ending up to become a real single coils guitar. Very bluesy...

YPH3n9pb5BLoRw8sMdwn52PtI.jpg

Archived