Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Favorite bands that went nowhere, dept.

I really liked School of Fish - even BEFORE I found out that the lead guitar player was Michael Ward (who went on to play with the Wallflowers and on "Perfectly Good Guitar" with John Hiatt). I took lessons from him in the mid 80's out in ""the Valley" when he was playing in a local hair metal band. He also led me to get my first tattoo at "Good Time Charlie’s Tattooland" in Anaheim, Cali

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great band I really dug!

They did a KILLER cover of "Save It For Later". (Never was able to persuade Elduave to do that version though! :lol::o )

How did Sammy H screw The Godz? And, were they ever on a Mike Varney heavy metal compilation album (I might have the wrong band...I'm not sure).

I loved Riot. They made a little run. We knew of them in CA back in the day.

Y&T, one of my favs from that era. They were fairly successful (very successful in many ways) but I always felt they deserved even more.

I always liked Tygers of Pan Tang, Enuff Z nuff...and someone I'm pretty sure most of you will not know; Laurie Freelove from Austin, TX.

• 1 year later...

The Refreshments

Drivin N Cryin

The Poorboys

Jason and the Scorchers

Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers

+1 on the Scorchers! Fantastic band with shit loads of attitude and charisma. Loudest band I've ever seen to this day and Warner Hodges is one of the most intense and consummate guitarists of the "punk" (cow-punk, to be exact) set who has to be seen live to be fully appreciated.

T

How about The Del Fuegos...

Dan Zanes is playing kids songs now! My wife bought three CDs for my daughter and I could have sworn that was the guy from Del Fuegos. She didn't believe it at first.

I thought Material Issue and the Alarm were going to bigger than they were...

There's a Blues Band that plays the Tri State area and hail from Prospect CT.

Their name is SMOKING OPEY

I use to actually check where they were playing on the weekends to go catch trhe show and party their.

How this band didn't make it BIG is beyond me and probly due to it BLUES show.

The lead guitarist is EXCEPTIONAL and also is just as good on Slide. He also is the lead singer. They guy is the WHOLE package.

The Drummer and Bass player are TIGHT.

If your ever in CT New-Haven and go too CUTLERS MUSIC. Which is basically a Record Shop from the 50's which has NOT changed much.

Pick up a CD of this band. You will be impressed. I haven't looked on Amazon or anythinglike that. So I'm not sure about their nationl attention.

Guest hectorp

...any band that had Cliff Johnson in it (Chicago area).

Cliff had several important Chicago Area bands since the 70s:

Pezband (powerpop)

Da Thumbs

Off Broadway

Black and Blonde

He's a staggeringly great entertainer with a great voice and who always surrounds himself with great performers

Fantastic melodic and driving powerpop composer. Band always did the coolest covers:

>Deserted Cities of the Heart, Badge (Cream)

>Stay Awhile

>Rattelsnake Shake, One Sunny Day (Fleetwood Mac, old version)

Pezband made an album, Off Broadway put out two albums and B&B did several CDs.

Cliff is certainly no more F*^%$#@cked up than any other star performer, but something must have kept him down.

Oh man, for us southern boys how about STRANGER. These guys absolutely rocked!!!!! Sadly, their guitar player Ronnie Garvin took his own life in the mid '90's but......SWAMP WOMAN FOREVER.

also I concur with:

Jellyfish

Thunder

A Boston band called the Stardarts formed by former Neighborhoods frontman David Minnehan. These guys never went beyond local status (with this specific band) to my knowledge but oh my god those shows rocked.

Also, MIRV, a San Fran band (I believe) whose album Dancing Naked in a Minefield I am forever promoting. The rest of their recorded material is so-so IMO, but they were a serious trip live.

*Harem Scarem

They did pretty good... but then again the last time I saw the lead singer, he was selling used cars at Mountain Mazda.

I always thought STARZ should have done better then they did.

And UFO, Thin Lizzy and Y&T were killer bands that got no recognition around here. I'm a big fan though.

How about The Del Fuegos...

Dan Zanes is playing kids songs now! My wife bought three CDs for my daughter and I could have sworn that was the guy from Del Fuegos. She didn't believe it at first.

I saw Dan Zanes here in Concord NH (his hometown) a couple weeks back. Great show...fun for all ages!

-Jonathan

Archived