Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Acoustic guitar roll call

Jeff R

Martin 00X1 Java Mahogany

Martin LX1 Little Martin

Both are made of high pressure laminate with real spruce tops. Surprisingly good sound from both (I think the LX1 sounds much better than the Baby Taylor, ymmv). The 00X1 I got for a really good price, so I couldn't pass it up. I realize that neither guitar is "Gear Page Approved", but they sound good and that's all that counts.

For Gear Page guys, I have my eyes on a Morgan Guitars OM Rosewood model.

Bad pics of the 00X1

00X1front.jpg

00X1back.jpg

Image of the Little Martin taken from the Martin site:

LX1LittleMartin.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Taylor and Cocobolo fanatic in the acoustic department...:

group3.jpg

Upper (L to R) -- '03 912ce custom (Cocobolo/Engelmann), '08 GS custom (Cocobolo/Engelmann), '02 814c custom (Cocobolo/Sitka), '04 910 custom (Cocobolo/Redwood)

Lower (L to R) -- '06 K65ce (Koa), '04 310ce (Sapele/Sitka)

And here's a little acoustic boo-tay for ya...:

group4.jpg

An Historic J16OE:

212.jpg

...and a Blues King:

blues_king_frt_lrg.jpg

Both guitars really work for me, as they're both 24-3/4" scale but sound totally different from each other. I really like Gibson acoustics.

Uh.........does a Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator pedal count as an acoustic?

my 2 young students have about finished their 1st book (hal leonard) and their dad wants them to learn classical. so monday i took the alverez and traded it for a yamaha classical w/ a solid top.

then i rounded up 4 beginning classical books, took them to kinkos and combined them in order conceptually

(that was a chore, but now i should have at least 2-3 years of lesson materials).

now i gotta grow my nails and practice. i need to find my sor studies and villa lobos etudes and preludes from college (mitch?).

my 2 young students have about finished their 1st book (hal leonard) and their dad wants them to learn classical. so monday i took the alverez and traded it for a yamaha classical w/ a solid top.

then i rounded up 4 beginning classical books, took them to kinkos and combined them in order conceptually

(that was a chore, but now i should have at least 2-3 years of lesson materials).

now i gotta grow my nails and practice. i need to find my sor studies and villa lobos etudes and preludes from college (mitch?).

I actually may be able to help you there.

Standby.

Anybody want to buy a Taylor T5 Custom in blue edgeburst. I couldn't make it sound acoustic enough for me.

I actually may be able to help you there.

Standby.

If Gale offers you a "special serum" to help you grow your nails, run. Fast. Don't look back.

:D

Brooks, I have a lot of classical books and pieces. I can probably round up several early books and loads of easier pieces to work with and send you a box of them. Just shoot me a PM with your address and what you are looking for level-wise.

Edited to add that I sent you a PM.

This one was a gift from my wife when I graduated Law School. It rings like a bell...a REALLY big, chimey bell.

JF6512.jpg

JF6512back1.jpg

Nice Guild, cmatthes....good score!

The opposite happened with me...when I got together with my wife

I gave her my '88 Maton Messiah 12 (but I still get to play it...heh)

The Maton is quite amazing....best 12 I've ever played

Other acoustics...Gilet 00-45, Gilet deep-body Dobro, and the wife has a nice

old oval-hole Daion (Headhunter-style)...which is surprisingly nice

(the trick with those is to replace the brass saddle....it really warms it up)

Cheers, mutronboy

• 7 months later...

What nice instruments! I want to get a 000 Martin but for now I have a Johnson Summit dreadnaught. Johnson normally builds beginner plywood things but they made 500 of these several years back for some reason. Solid stika spruce top, solid mahogany sides and back, abalone rosette, nice inlays, gold Grovers. Records well and feels good.

My acoustic love of my life is Martin 000C-16RGTE Aura. I recommend you give this a try... Beyond being

an incredible acoustic, the Aura does some really fun stuff that really brings out the tone of the instrument.

I play mine every day and cannot imagine wanting anything else. This one will probably make me happy

for the rest of my life. I paid about two thousand out the door. If I had all the money in the world, I don't

think I would bother buying something different. This one waits patiently for my skill to evolve and the

better I get, the better it sounds. With the skill I do have, it makes me sound pretty good, IMHO.

There are similarly priced Martins with more mother of pearl, but the Aura in this model is top of the line

and I have been very happy with my decision on this mix of bling and functionality.

Two Washburns. I have an old D13N that just gets better and better. It has great projection and I use it when I play in church. For gigs I use an NV300 thinline. It's a one of a kind, USA built model from the NAMM show the first year they came out.

My acoustic love of my life is Martin 000C-16RGTE Aura.

Mine too, although has the Fishman Prefix, not the Aura. I have never plugged it in, anyway. Wonderful guitar, sounds sweet, and plays very easy.

VentaOct08016.jpg

1984 Yari DY45 solid shaded top w/ heavy mods. fossilized bone nut and custom compensated saddle, Waverly tuners sunk into headstock, huge frets from open to 15, frets beyond that removed and fingerboard planned down for less drag on top. I'm using a Tak triaxe soundhole pup in it. this is my bluegrass hoedown guitar

06 Takamine EAN30 C , solid cedar top and solid Mahogany back, wide neck like a classical and slotted headstock w/ steel strings, my main gigging acoustic

l_bd643e7ebadc59d4295af0797a2a86c9.jpg

50's Goya classicsal, made in Sweden, tons of cracks and amazing checking, light as a feather and totally awesome

I've got a gig next summer doing Man of LaMancha so I'll be grabbing some kind of nylon string w/ a pickup, I still have the deal w/ Kaman so I'm sure it'll be a Tak

Archived