Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

Spinning a couple of jazz trio albums anchored by the late pianist extraordiare Hank Jones. Yesterday I spun "Hanky Panky". The trio is filled out with bassist Ron Carter and drummer Grady Tate. I first became aware of Tate and Carter from the Quincy Jones A&M albums my sister sent me in the late '60s. The other slbum is titled "Just for Fun, and Hank's collaborators are at least as impressive--Ray Brown on bass, Shelly Manne on drums, and guitarist Howard Roberts on about half the tracks. 

41W3AZ9F78L.jpg 

hank-jones-just-for-fun-450x450.jpg

Sorry, I can't find any cuts from Just For Fun on YouTube.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

I just spun Lou Rawls' first album, Stormy Monday, cut in 1962.

R-1581402-1229994454.jpeg.jpg

Back in the '70s when I lived in SoCal, I heard this awesome album playing over the sound system at Tower Records. It was unmistakably Rawls, but this was a bluesy jazz album. Instead of middle-of-the-road pop, it was a jazz trio, and a really good one at that. I was particularly taken by the piano, both accompaniment and improvised solos. This is Lou Rawls' equivalent of early Nat King Cole, singing and playing (in Nat's case) in a jazz trio before the corporate suits stepped in and turned everything into a big middle-of-the-road production.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was first turned onto Ry Cooder 40 years ago when this album made its way into a Cincinnati AM jazz station. I bought a copy immediately and have had one ever since. I spun it again a couple of days ago.

Bowling For Soup,  Acoustic, Live in a freakin old English Church... they are pretty good acoustically...

Waysted "Vices"  the Pete Way solo band,  loved this cd back in the day and just finished his book.  

One of my heroes, but kind of a sad read as he never seemed to pull it together... 

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:15 PM, JohnnyB said:

Hank's collaborators are at least as impressive--Ray Brown on bass, Shelly Manne on drums, and guitarist Howard Roberts on about half the tracks. 

The Poll Winners! I used to have one of their cds

• 3 weeks later...

Bought some used LPs, 70s, 80s stuff.

Wire Train - ...in a chamber

Urban Heroes - The Age Of...

Nazareth - Snaz

Ian Cussick - Treasure Islands

• Like 1