Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Short-but-GREAT guitar solos...

I was listening to Queen this morning and for some reason stuck to the second guitar solo in "Save Me". Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8033493/save_me_solo2.mp3

It's very short (no more than 8 or 9 seconds) but it's still expressive and flashy, and it also fits to the song perfectly. Brian May is such a master of phrasing and dynamics! Managing to be so concise and so musical at the same time can't be but the work of a true genius.

Now, do you have other "short and sweet" guitar solos like this one?

That sounds great MCChris!

Thank you sir! Wish I had something better than a cassette copy of that. Would have been an epic tune with full production but we split up before doing anything more with it.

That sounds great MCChris!

Thank you sir! Wish I had something better than a cassette copy of that. Would have been an epic tune with full production but we split up before doing anything more with it.

Chris, didn't realize the Rub had split up, that sucks! Are you trying to find/start a new band?

Chris, didn't realize the Rub had split up, that sucks! Are you trying to find/start a new band?

That clip is the Mean Reds, the band I was in from 1993-1997.

The Rub is inactive at the moment as well; by nature it can easily be revived at any time but I don't have the desire at the moment.

Lately I've come full circle and have been banging out Stooges/MC5/Endless Boogie-esque originals in the basement with the rhythm section of my college band. I can see maybe doing a proper recording in the future, but while I've learned to never say never, I think my days of playing publicly are probably over.

That clip is the Mean Reds, the band I was in from 1993-1997.

The Rub is inactive at the moment as well; by nature it can easily be revived at any time but I don't have the desire at the moment.

Lately I've come full circle and have been banging out Stooges/MC5/Endless Boogie-esque originals in the basement with the rhythm section of my college band. I can see maybe doing a proper recording in the future, but while I've learned to never say never, I think my days of playing publicly are probably over.

Well, the cool thing is that you're playing with people, that's what's most important!! I hear you about playing publicly, the promotion is a pain in the ass!

I'm getting to the point (pushing 40) where my friends (the little I have, ha ha) don't really go out anymore, so it's pretty hard to get people out for a show.

Anyway, I'll soldier on with my original band. Also, I've never done covers before, so me and my drummer are kicking around the idea of doing a covers band of alt-country, which is relatively popular around here, and we like that music. So we may have the two bands going, and open for ourselves here and there.

We're still working it out, but it should be fun.

I still don't understand, why we don't have on the forum some long distance collabs. So many talented people (i'll exclude myself)

I think there is no need for special occasion, or state of the art recording, just plain ol jamming and fun...

"Candy-O", by the CARS.

Pretty much everything EE ever did is short and perfect though.

I still don't understand, why we don't have on the forum some long distance collabs. So many talented people (i'll exclude myself)

I think there is no need for special occasion, or state of the art recording, just plain ol jamming and fun...

With computers recording, and soundcloud and all that kind of stuff, I'm sure we could set something up. I'm not exactly sure the best way to do it. Maybe host some files on .ftp and people can download it and then add audio tracks?

Not sure the ins and outs, someone with more computer know how may already have done something like this before.

I don't see why you'd exclude yourself. I've seen you playing and singing. You are good. It would be very boring if we were all a bunch of shredders, you know?

Brian May is the schiznit! just taste, timing, and feel! total package!

You did notice that, didn't you? :) He bends those notes from below, and then on the third bend he comes right after the strong beat. Masterful! And the legato lines are great too -the man does have chops as well, no BS. He never ceases to amaze me!

In fact, many of his solos are quite short and still the most of them are classics. Some few more examples, for your enjoyment:

I Want It All (from 0:21 to 0:31):

Dead On Two Legs (from 0:54 to 1:05):

Friends Will Be Friends (from 0:00 to 0:12):

Don't miss out on Killer Queen.

Even on the latest Cosmos Rocks are epic ones. Call Me has a freaking odd one you won't beat. Through The Night starts off with killer tones.

The fills in Stone in Love.

THIS^^^^ Exactly what I thought of as well!

Everything by Elliot Easton.

Say no more. The master of the "wow" brief solo. I'd say the one from "Shake it Up" says more in eight bars than most players do in 32.

+1 shake it up

It's not that short to me, but it's a great one anyway.

Everything by Elliot Easton.

Say no more. The master of the "wow" brief solo. I'd say the one from "Shake it Up" says more in eight bars than most players do in 32.

Fuckin A. "Just What I Needed" anyone?

edited to add: Killer fingerpicking on "My Best Friend's Girl" - an anti-solo. Trooth.

Early Cream, like Badge and sunshune if your love are great, and almost any AC/DC. A lot of the early VH solos were short and very nice, Many of the Led ZEp solos ripped also.

Most of the really good solos are like someone singing.

Cool Beans

Archived