Andrew Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 Some serious money but this just popped up on eBay, no affiliation &c. Looks legit.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-Hamer-Standard-Explorer-1975-4-Digit-ser-no-0002-ex-Martin-Barre-Jethro-Tull-/111332564042?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276What is going on with the pale centre in the finish?
cynic Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 Spectacular! I'm not sure I'd even want to own a guitar having this level of significance, but I do enjoy seeing it out and about.Outside of 0000 and 0126 I can't imagine it gets more "grail" than this.
crunchee Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 Nice! 'Collection in person offered'. Too bad the price doesn't include airfare from the States! And lodging...and meals...and beer...
BTMN Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 0128? Do you mean 0126 Enola? Or perhaps you knew that I have been on a quest since 1980 to find 0128? I do not even know what it is but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have that one. 0002 is an outstanding looking guitar!
Guest gearwhore Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 just tad above my pay grade..but I'd take it if I could
cynic Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 0128? Do you mean 0126 Enola?You're memory is better than mine, I meant Enola
BTMN Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 Sure would hate to see this go in some company's vault like the Hard Rock. Man.
BTMN Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 Should have seen my face when I saw it at Rick's Picjs and thought it said 0128 instead of 0126. No, Holy Standard!
mc2 Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 I was supposed to buy that back in 2005 when it was originally for sale. The middleman friend of Martin's handling the deal was out of town and screwed up and couldn't pull the auction in time and it sold to this guy instead.....for LESS than the price I'd agreed to.Then the middleman was afraid to honor our deal and get negative feedback. Crazy......but this guy paid less than half what he has it up for.
RichRS6 Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 Fuckity Fuckity Fuck.Even for that guitar it seems a lot of money, and its not even B&C !!What is going on with the pale centre in the finish?As I understand it is in the book somewhere................
Disturber Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 I was supposed to buy that back in 2005 when it was originally for sale. The middleman friend of Martin's handling the deal was out of town and screwed up and couldn't pull the auction in time and it sold to this guy instead.....for LESS than the price I'd agreed to.Then the middleman was afraid to honor our deal and get negative feedback. Crazy......but this guy paid less than half what he has it up for.I remember when it was on ebay.uk. I think it was listed at least twice, could be more, as it didn't sell. It was listed for over 10 000 £ then too, if I remember it correctly. Might be that it dropped to 7500£ after a few tries at selling it for over 10 000£. It must have sold for between 7 500 and 10 000 pounds in 2005.It was discussed here on the HFC, so might be someone else who remembers too?
flattop Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 If only i win the lottery i'll get the StandardIve saw a few of Martin's Guitars on ebay ,surely Martin cant be skint these daysWonder what happened to the Black Hamer Sunburst he played for years.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-SINGLECUT-Built-for-Martin-Barre-of-Jethro-Tull-Private-Stock-standard-/281315396359?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item417fb44b07 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manson-Custom-Str-t-Hand-Built-for-Martin-Barre-of-Jethro-Tull-UNIQUE-/281315397370?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item417fb44efa
Brentrocks Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 over $20k at today's exchange rate!he will never get it
ARM OF HAMER Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 WOW! Does not get much better than that one for me. [i'd still love to have his original Black Sunburst.................wonder where that guitar is as well] Did that Honeyman Scott Standard ever sell?.................doubtfull. This guitar would be above that one for most Hamer fans.............and given this price it will not sell either. Martin was a very early endorser of both the Standard and the Sunburst................he is known more for the Black Sunburst not the Standard. VERY COOL GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guest gearwhore Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 over $20k at today's exchange rate!he will never get itwell if no one in these parts is jumpin to grab it I doubt ebay can drum up a bigger hamer fan...if I had the cash I would pay it....if he went back to what he paid for a price I just might have drum up some cash....funny I was going to make a post on what high end values of standard's are I guess this pretty much answered that
cynic Posted April 21, 2014 Posted April 21, 2014 given this price it will not sellI dunno. Unless you're holding out for 0000, this is as early as you're gonna get.If it was realistically worth $1000, but the seller was asking $2000 and I really wanted the second guitar Hamer made, I'd buy it. There's lots of people that make 10x what I do that could look at things similarly.
cmatthes Posted April 22, 2014 Posted April 22, 2014 I personally don't think that's a stretch pricewise for what it is. He just might get it. Maybe not this time around, and maybe a die hard Tull fan instead of a player/collector, but I would value that one in that range, for sure.
serial Posted April 22, 2014 Posted April 22, 2014 Some serious money but this just popped up on eBay, no affiliation &c. Looks legit.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-Hamer-Standard-Explorer-1975-4-Digit-ser-no-0002-ex-Martin-Barre-Jethro-Tull-/111332564042?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276What is going on with the pale centre in the finish?That's legit. Pickups have been changed though. The pale center is the spline for the bookmatched veneer top showing through.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.