chromium Posted February 11, 2016 Posted February 11, 2016 Honestly, I never thought I would be doing this when I had this guitar in my hands for the first time... but never say never. The only reason I'm selling is because I recently picked up one of the BCR versions, and I really don't need to keep two Jrs. There are a number of appreciable differences between 'em, and certain aspects of the Korina version that make it outstanding in its own right (nice chunky neck being one). This was a very tough decision. At any rate: - It is in *beautiful* overall condition. - Slight fretwear in the lower region of the neck (under G, B, E strings) that does not affect playability at all (see pics), and one minor indentation on the back edge. Edited to add: the fret "wear" is (I suspect/speculate) possibly due to the previous owner storing the guitar in its case, with the padding pushing the strings down against the frets for long periods of time. It does not affect string bends in those areas, nor is there any buzzing or low spots as a result of this - and this is why I contend that it's a non-issue. It wasn't disclosed to me when I bought it (off another site), and it didn't impact the way it played so I didn't make a stink about it. I'm just a "full disclosure" sorta guy... so there you go - Setup on it was so nice that I haven't touched it (rare for me) - Stock everything, w/SD P90, Wilkie, Schallers, etc. - OHSC is in really good shape, only minor scuffs and a couple minor dings in tolex. Inside is clean, and latches all intact/functional - It is super light at about 7lbs, and sooooo resonant. This thing really sings. - Neck is joy to play - measures 1 11/16" across at nut, 15/16" thick at 1st, and 1" thick at 12th - Any other questions, just let me know Looking for $1450 shipped/Paypal'd (or bank wire) in the CONUS. Willing to talk, but honestly that is my "break even" on it - so be gentle (not to mention that it is worth every penny). Not seeking trades, and I would prefer to stay to domestic destinations... but if you are willing to pay the shipping I'll consider International.
Jakeboy Posted February 11, 2016 Posted February 11, 2016 These things are so much fun! Just pure rock and roll machines!
Steve Haynie Posted February 11, 2016 Posted February 11, 2016 2 hours ago, chromium said: and I really don't need to keep two Jrs. What? Think, man! They are Hamers!
DaveH Posted February 11, 2016 Posted February 11, 2016 Honestly, I can't believe anyone ever sells these. Mine will go no where, ever. Someone should take advantage of this opportunity, the price is right!
django49 Posted February 11, 2016 Posted February 11, 2016 I never thought that a Junior would work (for me). But when I picked one up, I was amazed. In a sane world, I would not feel a need for TWO Juniors. But after getting the Hamer Korina, I stumbled onto a Huber Jr. Great looking piece of mahogany, Brazilian board and 25.5" scale. In some ways, slightly more versatile. BUT, the Hamer is just SO perfect that I am locked in to keeping it. If it comes down to it, the "higher priced" option might very well go away first. Good luck to the buyer AND seller!
chromium Posted February 11, 2016 Author Posted February 11, 2016 4 hours ago, DaveH said: Honestly, I can't believe anyone ever sells these. If I were doing more with guitar (gigging, etc), believe me - it would be a cold day in hell before I ever moved this one out... As it stands, I do play/practice guitar almost exclusively at home, and I have to balance the addiction with bass hoarding Easier to rationalize the latter (e.g. pickup $200 at a gig, buy a $2000 bass... makes perfect sense, right? haha) Just trying my best to achieve some balance in my GAS universe. ...and I still have a couple other amazing Hamers I can weep over once this one flies the coup
chromium Posted February 11, 2016 Author Posted February 11, 2016 17 minutes ago, django49 said: I never thought that a Junior would work (for me). But when I picked one up, I was amazed. Ditto that. I'm still blown away by the range of sounds that can be coaxed out of 'em just by working those knobs. Everything from warm-to-bright bell-like cleans, to tear your head off screaming leads - and never shrill. Just pure, simple goodness all around. Never thought a single pickup guitar would do much for me, but DAMN was I ever wrong. Better late (in life) than never to have experienced the magic of a Jr.
ib2010 Posted February 11, 2016 Posted February 11, 2016 I've got the "special, 2 pup" in this family, and gotta say the korina in this family is extraordinary, really rich wood. GLWTS.
gtone Posted February 11, 2016 Posted February 11, 2016 Wow - this one has a nice meaty neck too. Have at 'er boys!!
chromium Posted February 12, 2016 Author Posted February 12, 2016 9 hours ago, gtone said: Wow - this one has a nice meaty neck too. That's what made this decision really difficult for me. It's a nice change of pace from that fast '78 Sunburst neck and the slimmer profile BCR Jr (that one lands somewhere between the Sunburst and Korina profile). If there is anyone pondering this let me know... it's going to the wolves tonight (Reverb to start)
JES1680 Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 Wow that fretboard looks almost identical to my 60 JR minus some of the wear.... Tempting....
Greg G Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 I have one of these and have no plans of letting it go. GLWTS!
Keoghpjk Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 If I hadn't just bought one, I'd be all over yours. I'm actually starting to ponder that I may need another... I have some thinking to do.
ppreichm Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 Hey guys, I have absolutely no experience with a jr. The posts are so positive, that I am really thinking about this one... And so please excuse a dumb question.. (and by all the positive remarks above, it surely is a dumb question) Since a jr. has only one pick up.. I would anticipate that it is rather limited and that it would be better to have a guitar with two pickups.. So what makes the jr. so special? Appreciate any insights... apologies to anyone offended by dumb question.
django49 Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 Well, a lot of people think that the LACK of wood removed to create a space for the neck pickup adds a lot to the overall sound. And, like many who people pickup a Les Paul and turn all 4 knobs "to 10", there are so many more things you can do IF you learn to actually USE the knobs. A Jr. sorta (at least SHOULD) concentrates your mind to identify a sound and LEARN how to get it. And I say this as a person that tends to spend 90% of my time on the neck pickup of any "normal" guitar I play. I do not consider it all that "limited" but I would probably stay way if you do NOT like raw R&R.
Keoghpjk Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 I was surprised when I got mine how many versatile sounds I can get from one pickup, a volume and tone. The tone control works so well with the pickup, and it doesn't take much to get a new sound you didn't expect. Mine is quickly becoming my all around go-to guitar.
gtone Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 I'll second that - have 3 single pu Junior guitars and sometimes, that's all I take to a gig. The resonance and sustain is awesome and you really learn how to manipulate your controls and picking/strumming technique to coax a lot of different tones. The thick neck on this one would be so comfortable to play for hours on end too. Trust us, don't think you'll be disappointed with this one!
mrjamiam Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 I've got one, too, and have no intention of selling it. Keep it in the family, ppreichm!
gtone Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 I'd prolly replace the SD P90 for a Sanford, Lollar, JS Moore or Gibson, but other than that, she's Korina perfection.
crunchee Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 From what I've heard, the lack of a neck pickup does contribute to the overall sound of a Jr.; not only in NOT losing wood from the body, when a neck PU isn't installed, but there's also no magnetic string pull or damping effects from the neck PU since it's not there.
chromium Posted February 12, 2016 Author Posted February 12, 2016 7 minutes ago, crunchee said: From what I've heard, the lack of a neck pickup does contribute to the overall sound of a Jr.; not only in NOT losing wood from the body, when a neck PU isn't installed, but there's also no magnetic string pull or damping effects from the neck PU since it's not there. That probably has a lot to do with what I like about the sound. There's a noticeably lively, immediate, dynamic response from them that - like others mention - make me reach for the Jrs 90% of the time. (although I *should* be practicing on that Sunburst more, since the narrower string spacing poses more of a challenge to me). Backing the vol and tone off yields a great warmth without losing clarity. I don't miss the neck pickups at all on them, and I typically tend to lean on neck pickups more for most playing.
hamer_sunburst Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 IMO a good Junior is just a no frills tone machine.... nothing wrong with a 2 pickup special thou.
chromium Posted February 12, 2016 Author Posted February 12, 2016 12 minutes ago, hamer_sunburst said: nothing wrong with a 2 pickup special thou. *ahem* or an archtop GT- that the sale of this will help offset Help a brutha out, good folks of HFC!
ib2010 Posted February 12, 2016 Posted February 12, 2016 The "Juniors" spookily seem to have the strings terminate in the speaker cone, not the bridge. Besides freeing your brain/space from what-if-pup-selections --- you, without thinking about it, work the guitar, for tone/dynamic variations, and remain focused on chasing the music.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.