Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ok - "Something In the Works"

I didn't want to hijack the "Pastels" thread any more than I already have, so I started a new thread in response to @Travis emotional plea for help.

I bought this guitar from @polara last February, in a moment of Pandemic-Induced Boredom (PIB®) and sent it directly to my guy in Mifflintown, PA.
GMPRoxie08.jpg

Anyway, it's a GMP Roxie and, no, this isn't the original paint.  GMP has made some outrageous or even questionable choices, but this could give someone a fit in the right light.
Technically, there is a lot of pastel going on there (didn't realize it until this second), so I guess I could have included it in the original thread after all.

GMPRoxie01.jpg 

GMPRoxie02.jpg

At least one, probably two Bigsbys installed onver the years.

GMPRoxie04.jpg

Sanded, filled and ready to be drilled (routed, really, but drilled sounded better).

GMPRoxie14.jpg

Bye bye P-90s.

GMPRoxie15.jpg

Sides will be bound to match the neck.

122133475_621730365167225_70144114843493

That's all I have for now.
I've since sold a bunch of guitars and sworn off buying any others (although the temptation hits me from time to time) and forgot that I even have this guitar out there.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I didn't want to hijack the "Pastels" thread any more than I already have, so I started a new thread in response to @Travis emotional plea for help.

I bought this guitar from @polara last February, in a moment of Pandemic-Induced Boredom (PIB®) and sent it directly to my guy in Mifflintown, PA.
GMPRoxie08.jpg

Anyway, it's a GMP Roxie and, no, this isn't the original paint.  GMP has made some outrageous or even questionable choices, but this could give someone a fit in the right light.
Technically, there is a lot of pastel going on there (didn't realize it until this second), so I guess I could have included it in the original thread after all.

GMPRoxie01.jpg 

GMPRoxie02.jpg

At least one, probably two Bigsbys installed onver the years.

GMPRoxie04.jpg

Sanded, filled and ready to be drilled (routed, really, but drilled sounded better).

GMPRoxie14.jpg

Bye bye P-90s.

GMPRoxie15.jpg

Sides will be bound to match the neck.

122133475_621730365167225_70144114843493

That's all I have for now.
I've since sold a bunch of guitars and sworn off buying any others (although the temptation hits me from time to time) and forgot that I even have this guitar out there.

Ooh!!!  I love those old Roxies. 25.5” scale, right?  I lusted after a few of them 15-20 years ago or so. Definitely will be following this thread. 

23 minutes ago, Travis said:

Ooh!!!  I love those old Roxies. 25.5” scale, right?  I lusted after a few of them 15-20 years ago or so. Definitely will be following this thread. 

Yes, long scale.  This one is getting Rios and a wrap tail (yes, I'm getting predictable).

Here's the rub, though.  This will likely be for sale not long after I receive it.  As much as I love GMP and what they were doing, I don't like their wide/flat necks. 

So, why did I buy it? 

Exactly! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

Yes, long scale.  This one is getting Rios and a wrap tail (yes, I'm getting predictable).

Here's the rub, though.  This will likely be for sale not long after I receive it.  As much as I love GMP and what they were doing, I don't like their wide/flat necks. 

So, why did I buy it? 

Exactly! 

Hmm...  how flat and how wide...?

While I definitely prefer fat and round, my Charvel 650xl is pretty flat but still comfortable to play. 1 & 11/16” nut with a D shape profile. It’s the thinnest of all of my guitars. Not Wizard thin by any means, but definitely flatter than my Mirages which have the standard mid to late 90’s Hamer medium carve. 

I have this one.  It sounds killer (non-orig Seth Lovers).  The neck is three inches wide and about 3/8" thick.  I'm exaggerating, but Kiz has a point.  Just not a comfortable player.  But I can sell it.  It's just so cool...

ws38aD8.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

It has been over two years.

Time for an update!

As we already know, this guitar was purchased in "The Before Times" which in this context has a dual meaning: before Covid changed our lives (it was still early on in the lockdown) and before I sold off most of my guitars and swore off buying any others.

image.png

This retina-burning stepchild (orphan, really) deserved better, as @cmatthes recently said, "...after living a life of tragedy."
Well put.

Before:

image.png

After:

image.png

• Like 5

Not going to need that control panel on the lower horn (ditching the master volume knob), but I didn't see the point of filling and laminating to hide it.
It's the back, after all.

image.png

Frets were poop. Had to go.

image.png

These'll do.

image.png

• Like 2

I've always thought the Roxie model looked like a sperm whale.  Now, with that aquamarine flake job, it really looks like a sperm whale!spacer.png

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Teamwork.

I love it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/29/2023 at 6:53 PM, The Shark said:

Stike has a way with sparkle.  Looks vaguely familiar...

b3fsBeB.jpg

Kiz's is a mix of that Ice Blue and Coke Bottle Green flake.

• Like 6