Hamer Fan Club Message Center

what amps do you think are "under the radar" bargains?

Randall had a series of MV tube heads in the 90’s that were brootalz. A friend used two rack mounted versions and an Alesis graphic eq and got an amazing metal sound. Not sure of the model. 

Found it:  RGT100HT. These are killer rock amps and are indestructible. 

IMG_0212.jpeg

Edited by RobB
  • Like 4

On 2/8/2024 at 11:32 AM, tomteriffic said:

Ditto the Subway Rocket first version.  Never should have let that one go.

…and I feel horrible that I snagged it from you.  It’s in Beavercreek not far from you.   I’m in FL.  Long story.  I miss it.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 10:14 AM, RobB said:

Randall had a series of MV tube heads in the 90’s that were brootalz. A friend used two rack mounted versions and an Alesis graphic eq and got an amazing metal sound. Not sure of the model. 

Found it:  RGT100HT. These are killer rock amps and are indestructible. 

IMG_0212.jpeg

Cool.  Never saw these.   Looks a good 60lbs.

On 2/8/2024 at 3:16 PM, tbonesullivan said:

Peavey Rockmaster was / is well regarded

I guy I knew in Tx has a tube head version that was excellent.

• Like 1

Parroting what was said about Rivera's, Bassmans and Bandmasters. 

I'd like to add mid 60s Gibson GA-5's to the list.  I think I bought mine for $350 15 years or more back, and they're around the $550-650 mark now.  The speaker sucks (well at least mine does), but plugged into a Torpedo Studio live with a good sounding 4x12 sim, makes for a surprisingly modern heavy sound. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2024 at 3:56 PM, velorush said:

I remember a friend loaned me an ART rack unit to try out back in those days. I looked up and three hours had passed without playing a single song; I had spent the entire time menu diving and noodling.  I packed it up and gave it back the next day. 

Amazing sounds, but what a chasm of possibilities.  That experience has kept me from the modeling thing all these years later.  

I did the same back in the mid 80's with ART DR2 and a Lexicon PCM70.

Spend a weekend trying all the presets on each one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HSB0531 said:

I did the same back in the mid 80's with ART DR2 and a Lexicon PCM70.

Spend a weekend trying all the presets on each one.

I used both in a stereo rig and The DR2a was very good for reverb, but the PCM70 in stereo mode was amazing. I really wish I held onto that one.

• Like 1

100 watt Marshall Vintage Moderns. You can still find them under $1k on occasion, and, if you have ever wanted a hot rodded JTM 45, they bring it. I had four Marshalls back this summer, and this is the only one I kept. I feel like sooner or later, people are going to figure out that they are one of the best Marshalls the company made in a long time. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hackubus said:

I'd like to add mid 60s Gibson GA-5's to the list.  I think I bought mine for $350 15 years or more back, and they're around the $550-650 mark now.  The speaker sucks (well at least mine does), but plugged into a Torpedo Studio live with a good sounding 4x12 sim, makes for a surprisingly modern heavy sound. 

+1!  That's why VHT's Special 6 is on my list, and I own a couple of the head version...it's very much like an old Fender Champ (or Gibson Skylark), handwired too, but it also has jacks for 4, 8, or 16 Ohm speakers (or speaker cabs) for maximum versatility.  The VHT Special 6 Ultra has this same speaker capability as well, plus a send/return effects loop and a line out, plus an extra 12AX7 tube for more gain.  Both come in combo or head versions.  It sure ain't your granddad's Champ/Skylark!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LucSulla said:

100 watt Marshall Vintage Moderns. You can still find them under $1k on occasion, and, if you have ever wanted a hot rodded JTM 45, they bring it. I had four Marshalls back this summer, and this is the only one I kept. I feel like sooner or later, people are going to figure out that they are one of the best Marshalls the company made in a long time. 

That is a GREAT circuit  I wish Marshall had made it in a smaller form factor.

getting off into the weeds now, or just full circle?  The first 'amp' I used (40+ years ago) was a Panasonic cassette tape recorder, I think I did accidentally find the 'amp function' of pushing record with no tape installed, with the junky Silvertone Jazzmaster my older cousin gave me (the Panasonic is the preamble, not the point of the story).  

Going through my stuff over the past couple of weeks, I have a Wollensak T-1500 reel to reel tape recorder/player, the price tag reads $12, I  I think I got it at a thrift store 10-20 years ago, I think. .

It has tube preamp: a pair of 12ax7s and a 12at7, and a pair of 12AB5 power tubes (if my notes are correct), with fixed adjustable bias.  The preamp tubes are all shock mounted which seems pretty trick, and it has a good sized built in cooling fan (I'm having a little trouble getting the fan to not bump into anything and make a bad metal to metal sound, but when I do get it adjusted right...). It has a built-in 5" speaker, a 1/4" input, and a 1/4" external speaker out.  

it doesn't sound bad!, with a higher gain pedal like a tech21 Tri OD it sounds good, and is really fun at bedroom volumes, there's lots of these around, but everyone is asking $100.  Through my 1x12 cabinet it's pretty boomy in the low end, an eq fixes that easily.  Keep an eye out while you're garage/estate sale-ing. I plan to keep this and use it, I think the other end of the fan is causing the trouble, and it's a little bit tricky to access. 

wollensak inside.JPG

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jimbilly said:

getting off into the weeds now, or just full circle?  The first 'amp' I used (40+ years ago) was a Panasonic cassette tape recorder, I think I did accidentally find the 'amp function' of pushing record with no tape installed, with the junky Silvertone Jazzmaster my older cousin gave me (the Panasonic is the preamble, not the point of the story).  

Going through my stuff over the past couple of weeks, I have a Wollensak T-1500 reel to reel tape recorder/player, the price tag reads $12, I  I think I got it at a thrift store 10-20 years ago, I think. .

It has tube preamp: a pair of 12ax7s and a 12at7, and a pair of 12AB5 power tubes (if my notes are correct), with fixed adjustable bias.  The preamp tubes are all shock mounted which seems pretty trick, and it has a good sized built in cooling fan (I'm having a little trouble getting the fan to not bump into anything and make a bad metal to metal sound, but when I do get it adjusted right...). It has a built-in 5" speaker, a 1/4" input, and a 1/4" external speaker out.  

it doesn't sound bad!, with a higher gain pedal like a tech21 Tri OD it sounds good, and is really fun at bedroom volumes, there's lots of these around, but everyone is asking $100.  Through my 1x12 cabinet it's pretty boomy in the low end, an eq fixes that easily.  Keep an eye out while you're garage/estate sale-ing. I plan to keep this and use it, I think the other end of the fan is causing the trouble, and it's a little bit tricky to access. 

wollensak inside.JPG

But does it have a hemi?