Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey everyone. There really isn't a place for introductions and I think it is preferred that you have 10 posts before selling. I'm just going to try and cover both gently. I bought my Hamer Steve Steven's Dayglo in my best estimates, 1985-86. Billy Idol and shortly afterwards, Steve Steven were my gods (Warren Cuccurullo was probably an even tie as well) anyway, I gigged, recorded and played my heart out for years. When I was about 33 I recorded a solo cd for memory sake and threw in the towel. I'm now 47. I never wanted it to be a hobby, it was to be my career.

i think being my style of guitarist, I have the best rig for it. I absolutely love my equipment and sound. I even purchased a 1959 Gretsch double anniversary in two tone smoke Cadillac green that I always dreamed about having. Why? I don't know. I feel "wrong" having these guitars tucked away in the cases with the string setting loosely on them. Just a waste of rock and roll history.

I'm not going to list everything I have or put up pictures. I will spend time here, post a bit and maybe have some valuable conversations. I don't know if I have the guts to part with what has been my best friends for decades. I'll just see how things go here.

Thanks for reading. And yes, my legal middle name IS Johni Sonic, but I go by Sean as my parents planned. See ya round the water cooler.

Sean

Posted

If you are unsure, keep your Steve Stevens.  If you have not sold it in 30 years you might as well keep it.  If you do end up selling it, sell it here and there is a better chance of getting it back if you regret letting it go. 

Posted

I appreciate the input, and that may be the way I end up, but it just seems wrong. My guitars sit in cases, no light, no music, never strummed. I've gotten older, broken down, they're still ready to rock. We'll see, thanks again.

Posted

Dig out your favorite and play it. 

It is waiting for you.  So the music career didn't work out as planned. I bet you LOVED to play didn't you?

47 is young. Hell, I am 53 and recording a CD now that I'll likely just give away....and I am having the time of my life doing so.

You were/are a player, Sean. 

Play your guitars. 

I'll bet it makes you smile.

if not, you'll know and be able to sell with no pangs....

Posted

Yeesh! That Caddy Gretsch makes my heart flutter and I haven't seen it yet. Did anyone mention that we love pics?

Welcome aboard the board!

Posted

Thanks guys, you're awesome. I thought the answers would be clearer after talking to the rig group of people. At one time, all I associated with was musicians, now it is none. I think I'm a bitter musician that missed his chance. 

Anyway, I'll post some pics over the weekend. The Gretsch belonged to Brent Mason prior to me. I didn't know who that was before looking it up, but pretty cool either way. I'd like to know some history of my Hamer with the serial number. If I put that up, can anyone here help? Women have come and gone but my Hamer was there when I was a kid, young adult and had nothing all the way t o the present. Hard to turn your back on that, but I know I will no longer play. Growing up sucks fellas.

Posted

If everyone who didn't 'make it' quit playing guitar, none of us would be here. :P You're 9 years younger than me, and I feel like I'm playing better than ever. Pro athletes can't say that. You're still young enough, and it's still as fun as you let it be.

Welcome! Now pick it up and make some noise!!

Posted

Dang man quit sounding like you have one foot in the grave, i just turned 52 and may be one of the younger ones around these parts :) I say if you need the money, sell it all.  If you don't, then definitely hold on to the SS so you don't even chance having regrets down the road.  I've still got my '80 Fender Lead II that my parents got me for Christmas, and it's not worth a lot but it's priceless to me and will only be sold if I need to literally put food on the table...

Best of luck with whatever decision you come to, and welcome to the best guitar forum on the www!

Posted

47 is old? Crap! I don't have much time.

My advice? Like everyone else, dig out the guitars and the rig, and get back on the saddle.  For me, guitars are "sounds". If i want that "sound" I get that guitar out. As much as people say it's possible to do everything through modeling, I don't believe it. So, when you want that SS dayglow in your face sound, take it out and rock it. Hell play jazz and bluegrass on it. Just play it.

Posted

I started playing in bands again at 47. I'm 51 now and play better then ever. My kids are older and I've never enjoyed playing more. 

There's nothing like connecting with the mojo of an old guitar that you've had tucked away and bringing it back to life. If the guitar speaks to you, keep it if you can, if it doesn't, there's someone "hopefully" it will speak to them. It's like relationships, some guitars are the love of your life, others are one night stands...

Posted

 

You may as well keep your guitars and start playing again until you turn to dust, since dust can't fret too well.

with a name like "Johni Sonic" on your ID, I would think career opportunities would be gigging and maybe working at Best Buy in the stereo department.....unless you also have that tattooed across your forehead. Then, your fked and can only do an occasional TV ad. 😀

Check out the post from a few days ago with "Geezer" in the title.....an 82 y.o. guy shreding on the radio with some hot chick singer.  You're only in remission, not cured of being a lifer.

Posted

Unless of course you have some great Hamers you want to unload for cheap! :)

Posted

You guys are hilarious...

i'm not dying, well no more than most people on here, I'm just not gonna play anymore. There was a time where "I'm a musician" fell somewhere in the first couple minutes of meeting someone. It's no longer shared, that's not me anymore. It's awesome you guys are still enjoying it and strumming away. I studied it, I ate, slept and shat music. Like I said, I'm bitter. Bitter at myself, the music scene and maybe God a little bit. If I had a room full of guitars and could talk about what a big fish in a little pond I was once, I still don't think it's me. So having a spare bedroom where speaker enclosures, rack mount equipment, reference monitors, keyboards, stands, scsi drives and guitar in cases is where I'm at. Seems tome most that equipment is just stuff, guitars are different, alive, with a soul. Putting them somewhere where they can live again is what's gotta happen I think. 

The right home is job #1, if I could get my SS to the supreme leader, that would be ideal...but I've seen pictures of his shelves of old guitars that probably rarely see light, but hell, I'd sit on one of Steve's shelves in order to see hm once in a blue moon.

i'll get to the pictures this weekend, I appreciate the people that have come forward so far.

"Best Buy johni" 

Posted

                                   Welcome to the HFC!:)  Hell I'm 63 and I play everyday at some point,don't throw in the towel you have a lot of miles left to play. And as far as the guitars go like has been mentioned sell them here and your chances of getting them back should you wish to are way better than any place else..:)

Posted

Fair enough. We look forward to your classified ads.

Posted

Sean, your bitterness is understandable but don't let it rule you.  At a young age, you determined that playing an instrument is something you wanted to do and you put in the time, effort, and expense to become (I'm guessing) pretty damn good.  I'd hate to seen that thrown away.

You said you don't play the guitars you have anymore - why not?  Just the disappointment of never having "made it"?  What about the thousands that did and then fell back to Earth?  The documentaries on bands like Anvil and Quiet Riot, or news items showing the current residences and living conditions of guys like Vinnie Vincent show how bad it could have been.  What about the thousands of guys like me who were never even the big fish in a little pond?

Sorry for the unsolicited pep talk.  I'm not in your head and I don't know you.  But reading your intro post and your comments in this thread are heartbreaking.  I sometimes lament that if I had started playing earlier I would have been a better player and would have tried, but I'm happy that I'm able to still play songs I love.  If music is a part of who you are, it's hard to walk away from it.

Posted

well, i'm going through some rough patchs lately.

I only know one thing: when i'll be 75 at the nursering home, we'll need a metal cover band, and i intent to be part of it...

you are as old as you feel

if you let circumstances rule how old you are, well, right now i'm pretty old

so don't

welcome to the forum

and flaunt your beauties, we all like guitar porn here :)

 

Posted

Man, the dreams I had last night. My brain is telling me no. My wife was very opposed as well. The only argument I have is my guitar is a prisoner, I want it out, taken care of and played. I am not going to do that.

i appreciate being able to vent here guys. Regardless of my final decision, I'll post some pix, it's cool to chat.

Posted
21 hours ago, Johnisonic said:

You guys are hilarious...

i'm not dying, well no more than most people on here, I'm just not gonna play anymore. There was a time where "I'm a musician" fell somewhere in the first couple minutes of meeting someone. It's no longer shared, that's not me anymore. It's awesome you guys are still enjoying it and strumming away. I studied it, I ate, slept and shat music. Like I said, I'm bitter. Bitter at myself, the music scene and maybe God a little bit. If I had a room full of guitars and could talk about what a big fish in a little pond I was once, I still don't think it's me. So having a spare bedroom where speaker enclosures, rack mount equipment, reference monitors, keyboards, stands, scsi drives and guitar in cases is where I'm at. Seems tome most that equipment is just stuff, guitars are different, alive, with a soul. Putting them somewhere where they can live again is what's gotta happen I think. 

The right home is job #1, if I could get my SS to the supreme leader, that would be ideal...but I've seen pictures of his shelves of old guitars that probably rarely see light, but hell, I'd sit on one of Steve's shelves in order to see hm once in a blue moon.

i'll get to the pictures this weekend, I appreciate the people that have come forward so far.

"Best Buy johni" 

I'm 48 and I have 43 guitars.

 

...okay, I'm selling about 20 of them, but still.

You want to talk about regrets...I could have been somebody, too. I have professional-level musical entertainment ability, but just kept making the wrong choices, the "safe" choices.

But it's all good, because what I really love about music is performing. Playing. Touching people through music.  I don't do it anywhere near as much as I used to, and I still am planning on getting back into it when life slows down a little bit.

But until then, I keep playing, I keep singing, I keep writing, and most of all: I keep *learning*.

You stay young if you keep your learning activity high.

We tell all the little kids, "you can be *anything* you want when you grow up", but 99% of the people in the world end up working at Initech, hoping to get crippled in a car accident so we don't have to go to work anymore.

So you didn't make it as a professional musician. So what? You don't have to be famous or professional to enjoy playing. You certainly don't have to be famous or professional to have other people enjoy your playing.

I can see simplifying down to just a guitar and an amp, but if you sell everything, I guarantee you will regret it.

Most decisions made on the basis of emotion are wrong.

Posted

What he said^^^^, but I'll go $355.

Posted

Way too much nurturing in this thread.

I say sell it all, but you're a big boy and I trust you to make the right decision for you.

Posted
4 hours ago, Johnisonic said:

Man, the dreams I had last night. My brain is telling me no. My wife was very opposed as well. The only argument I have is my guitar is a prisoner, I want it out, taken care of and played. I am not going to do that.

i appreciate being able to vent here guys. Regardless of my final decision, I'll post some pix, it's cool to chat.

It sounds to me like you could be suffering from depression, which is never a good time to make any important decisions, so my advice would be to wait a while, maybe you'll change your mind about not playing any more and then you'll still have your guitars...!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...