Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Opinion please 81 Black Special

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with the sh!t pictures it looks like it's in nice shape. My only concern would be the neck size. My '81 has a nice medium neck, but I've played some real toothpicks from that era.

My 2¢: $1200-$1500 is the ballpark. I'd like to see better pictures, but it looks really clean. Case even looks good.

Image 2 - 1981 Hamer electric guitar with case, black, good condition
Image 1 - 1981 Hamer electric guitar with case, black, good condition
Image 4 - 1981 Hamer electric guitar with case, black, good condition
Image 6 - 1981 Hamer electric guitar with case, black, good condition

It looks really nice, I owned 2 79 Black Hamer Sunbursts and they were fine guitars. As has been mentioned not real good pics but from what I can see it looks really clean and complete. and the case is in great shape..  Keep in mind some of these guitars have VERY slim neck profiles. IF I was in the market for something like this I'd pay up to $1,500.00 for it. The Sunbursts and Specials are some of the best guitars Hamer made....................and they aren't making any more so.................

If that finish is original then go with the prices suggested above.  Inquire about the neck size first. 

Every year around Christmas there are a lot of zero feedback sellers that pop up on eBay.  If you win, make arrangements for a local pickup and pay at that time. 

Looks great, clean as can be! Not sure what the deal with the seller is but that's another discussion.

The measurements on my '81 Special are: 1 5/8th nut  0.79" at the 1st and 0.85" at the 12th

Doesn't seem "horrible" but it's THIN and feels it. No issue for me, but for anyone that likes a medium to fat neck it would not be a guitar for you.

46 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

Looks great, clean as can be! Not sure what the deal with the seller is but that's another discussion.

The measurements on my '81 Special are: 1 5/8th nut  0.79" at the 1st and 0.85" at the 12th

Doesn't seem "horrible" but it's THIN and feels it. No issue for me, but for anyone that likes a medium to fat neck it would not be a guitar for you.

I reached out to the seller and asked for pics of the headstock. She sent them. She said she inherited the guitar. 

I like both thin and thick necks so a if I happen to purchase it I'll be surprised and will follow up on it.

Thank you everyone for your insight and concerns!

I truly appreciate you all helping me.

Martin

27 minutes ago, cynic said:

They have the period correct beveled slugs but they also look very clean. 

I was thinking the same.  Granted, the guitar looks really clean, but the pickups look like new.

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

I was thinking the same.  Granted, the guitar looks really clean, but the pickups look like new.

I can't get much info from the seller because she inherited the guitar.

It seems like it might be a case queen but you never know. Judging from the case it is quite possible it is really clean and old.

Well I suspect the seller isn't on Ebay often; they do have a rating of 34 (or something) just not recently. She might have inherited and needed to reach out to a bigger audience via Ebay?

From the pics shown, this guitar looks like a case queen. That would be something, to find a like brand new 40 soon to be 41 year old guitar.

I love my '81 even though it's a bit of a beastie now; removed a Kahler, ahhh, the 1980s...

Depends on how back you want a like new all black Special I guess, but one that clean doesn't come along very often. 

Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

A lot of Hamers from the early 80's did that bubbling around the tuners.  

I once had a couple of '80's Specials that did the same thing...be thankful the finish on this one hasn't chipped away at the 'bubbled' areas, like they did on the ones I once had.

1 hour ago, stobro said:

What would cause this bubbling at the base of a couple of the tuners?

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 6.32.04 PM.png

VERY common on older late '70's and early '80's Hamers.  In fact, I think I see it way more often than not.  I don't know if it was a lacquer issue or if they overtightened the tuner nuts but you see it a lot, and many times the paint will chip off there too.  

10 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

If that finish is original then go with the prices suggested above.  Inquire about the neck size first. 

Every year around Christmas there are a lot of zero feedback sellers that pop up on eBay.  If you win, make arrangements for a local pickup and pay at that time. 

I wish I could I don't live in the area.

6 minutes ago, GuitarGuy65 said:

VERY common on older late '70's and early '80's Hamers.  In fact, I think I see it way more often than not.  I don't know if it was a lacquer issue or if they overtightened the tuner nuts but you see it a lot, and many times the paint will chip off there too.  

My 79 Standard has bubbling like that.

Seems like the lacquer is very thick there.

The more I look....the pickups look new, but so do the rings. The chrome is shiny, with no corrosion. No noticeable chips or scuffs. Paint has a nice gloss, front and back. Even the inside of the case looks new.

I'd bet it has spent a good deal of its time - like 95%+ - in the case.

I've seen the bubbling on Rickenbackers, Gibsons, Guilds and a bunch of 70s era Japanese guitars.

Archived