Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Going to New York for the 1st time. Any "must sees"?

hey everybody!

hi! i was just thinking of the good ole days on the board and thought I'd drop by to say hi!

I'm off to New York (Sept. 5-10) and wanted some recommendations from the locals (or previous visitors) on any special things to see or do - music related on not.

(I will be in Long Island on two of those days recording.. on wax cylinder. no lie!)

much love to you all!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hook up with Buzzy Frets and Jon and Laura Press from the board here. Burningyen has a Pink Floyd band IIRC.

I've only been through the airport there but enjoy your trip. The recording stuff sounds real interesting. You are an Electric Eclectic Chick. :blink:

You could stand outside The Today Show with a homemade sign, those folks sure look like they are having fun. Be sure to get a slice of REAL NYC pizza. I heard there's this place called Sbarro that's the real deal. :blink:

You could stand outside The Today Show with a homemade sign, those folks sure look like they are having fun. Be sure to get a slice of REAL NYC pizza. I heard there's this place called Sbarro that's the real deal. :blink:

Or you could go to one of the 10,000 Ray's Original, or Famous Ray's Original, or Ray's Famous Original or Ray's Original Famous Pizza places that litter Manhattan. All of which are terrible.

Pizzeria Pomodoro on Mulberry Street just north of what's left of Little Italy is some of the best Pizza I've ever had.

NYC has a million things to do. You may just want to go to the Soho area and wander around a bit, then to to the Village. Lots of cool stuff in both areas there to see, and less commercial than midtown.

Beside the guitars shops on 48th st near Radio City, Times square, and the usual tourist stuff.....I'm big on the Metropolitan Museum and the Museum of Modern Art.

Sometimes I miss my home town

Beside the guitars shops on 48th st near Radio City, Times square, and the usual tourist stuff

Just don't go expecting or wanting to buy a guitar on 48th St! Either that or take out a second mortgage first so that you can pay list price plus AND NYC taxes.

I love NYC and get there at least once a year. More great bars and restaurants than anywhere and it's cleaned up considerably in the past twenty years (understatement of the day). If you've never gone before-go to the Empire State Bldg and toss the extra jack for the top deck. Just be sure that you get there AS SOON AS IT OPENS. Otherwise, you have to deal with lines/crowds/inability to see enough.

Downton: go walk (and eat) Chinatown & Litle Italy, both very cool enclaves. Browse for cheap stuff on Canal Street whist there. Get a treat (pastery/after dinner drink/ coffee) at Ferrara's on Grand Street in Little Italy. (Enrico Caruso's favorite post-perfirrmance hang-out).

If you want to see guitars - more acoustic than electric, take a ferry ride -then a short bus ride to Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island - guitars from a couple hundred $$ to a couple hundred thousand $$$$

They will let you play any guitar in the store - very cool, friendly folks

If you want to see guitars - more acoustic than electric, take a ferry ride -then a short bus ride to Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island - guitars from a couple hundred $$ to a couple hundred thousand $$$$

+1 on that, if you're into acoustic's like i am there is no finer store anywhere, i get a half a chub just walkin in the door, truly cool folks too.........

I remember as a 12-13 year old, I'd call Mandolin Bros. on occasion (because it was toll-free!) and ask them all kinds of stupid questions about guitars/vintage stuff. They probably knew it was some kid without the money to buy anything, but they always answered my questions and offered a lot of great info with a great attitude.

wayne krantz plays most thrursdays at the 55 bar in the village.

look for oz noy at the bitter end.

cheryl bailey is a kickass jazz guitarist i saw downtown.

non music stuff that i enjoyed were

a central park bike tour,

staten island ferry,

nbc tour,

and the museum of sex.

I used to live in that place! LOL!

I was in NYC for a day a couple of Fridays ago. It was my 1st time in NYC. I did the regular tourist thing with the boat tour...a 3 hour tour. It was good relaxing way to see the city. If you do the tour, make sure you find a seat on the left side of the boat. Also did the 42nd street, broadway, had dinner at Oyster Bar at Grand Central. Went up the Empire State and got stuck on the 80th floor on the way down. The elevator power was out or something, so noboby could go down. I think we were inline for an hour before we got down. The news people were interviewing people when we finally got out of the building.

For pizza, I recommend Lombardi’s. If you’re going to be out in Brooklyn, you might want to stop by Grimaldi’s instead, but it’s not worth going out of your way just to go there IMHO. I also recommend the crab-pork soup dumplings at Joe’s Shanghai in Chinatown (NOT their other location), the Korean BBQ (kalbi) at Kang Suh, the bagels at Ess-a-Bagel (any of their locations), the American BBQ at Daisy May’s, the hummus at Nanoosh, the nouveau Mexican at Hell’s Kitchen (the restaurant, not the neighborhood, although it does happen to be located in the neighborhood), and I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch of other great options in the low-to-mid-priced (<$50/person) range. I can suggest pricier places or other ethnic options too if you’re interested. Citysearch.com is a good resource.

I think Serial had a bad experience with 30th Street Guitars, but they’ve always treated me well and always have an interesting selection of used gear. I try to avoid 48th Street if I can.

I only go to the US Open when I can mooch a ticket off of my brother or one of my corporate law friends, but it’s always a blast.

I hear MoMA has a really good Dali exhibit right now. Admission has gotten kinda pricey at $20, but it’s free on Friday nights, I think, if you’re willing to endure insane lines. And Central Park is always nice on weekends. East Village, Alphabet City and Lower East Side are the last bastions of hipster culture in Manhattan.

Have fun!

The Frick Collection (a professor once said it was the place with the least bad stuff)

Perilla: The restaurant in the West Village run by Harold Deiterle, the decent guy who won the first season of Top Chef

Ping's restaurant in Chinatown

See if Eugene Mirman is playing (he does a weekly comedy show somewhere in the village a few blocks East of the Strand Bookstore)

If there's anything playing at Radio City, see it. The building is a monument to Art Deco

Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge before sunset, Go to Grimaldi's Pizza under the bridge on the Brooklyn side. Walk back after sunset.

Great views.

Staten Island Ferry - Ride to SI then stay on and ride back. Nice views and FREE

South Street Seaport. Food. and if your not squeamish check out the BODIES exhibit. $26 approx. Creepy and fascinating

55 Bar Thursdays - Wayne Krantz

Lombardi's Pizza on Spring St.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art - The fee is SUGGESTED donation. Actually you can pay whatever you like.

After the Museum hang out in Central Park

If you are a carnivore. Hit up a good Steakhouse. Peter Lugers is in Brooklyn.

Ben and Jacks on 44th St between 2nd and 3rd ave is pretty darn good without the travel hassle and attitude.

Rockefeller Center - The top of the Rock great views - Top of the rock

Coney Island - It will be redeveloped soon, Get a taste of the old school carney atmosphere before it is gone.

Coney Island Sideshow

Ellis Island - Immigration museum

Botanical Gardens in Brooklyn.

NY Transit Museum

Archived