Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Is This Guy A Little Too Full Of Himself?

elduave

She said that he was the most amazing guitarist she'd seen play live since Segovia. Pretty impressive stuff.

YIKES!! never heard of the guy. Looks like i need to check him out. Thanks for the heads up!

Rob - keep in mind...this is coming from my MOM.

"That Strocelo Rosenberg is really good with that guitar, but he's no Andy Williams!" :lol::D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bozzio or BUST!!!

Dude! Ya beat me to it! Terry Bozzio smokes everybody IMO.

Never could get into DT...all great players for sure, but the music/lyrical concepts are a little to hokie

for me and I never could get past whatever awful singer they had at any given time.

T

She said that he was the most amazing guitarist she'd seen play live since Segovia. Pretty impressive stuff.

YIKES!! never heard of the guy. Looks like i need to check him out. Thanks for the heads up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLYFU1fHefM

dude is uncannily amazing.............. :lol::D:wub:

Now they pack in small theaters in the US (2 - 3000) people. In Europe they play massive festivals all the time.

Nerd, useless additional info: the biggest ticket number they have sold in a concert was in.... Chile.

I was there. :lol:

No offense to drummers, but for your average joe radio listener, next to the bass player the drummer is probably the most easily replaced band member without anyone being the wiser.

Oh, and no offense to bass players :lol:

Yah right. Totally expendable metronomes. :lol:

3375104076_bb92f9e90d.jpg

• 3 months later...

Looks like a bit of backlash...

From ClassicRockMagazine.com:

Mike Portnoy has parted with Avenged Sevenfold.

The former Dream Threater drummer played on the band’s current album, Nightmare, and has been touring with them.

He’s issued the following statement about the situation:

“Yes, the rumours are true… Sadly my time with Avenged Sevenfold has come to an end… The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me..

“I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan…

“I had an awesome time on stage with the guys every night and have so many cool memories from the experience with them… I am proud to always be part of the Avenged Sevenfold family and history. I also adore the Avenged Sevenfold fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band…thank you!

“As far as my future, I am excited by the endless musical possibilities that lie ahead of me…my love for music runs very deep and my taste is very broad and ecclectic which will give me the chance to explore many different things and collaborate with many great friends and artists I admire and respect…

“Happy holidaze to you all and c-ya in the New Year.”

Talking about the departure of Portnoy, Avenged Sevenfold frontman M. Shadows told Pulse Of Radio that the public way the drummer handled his split from Dream Theater: was a contributing factor.

“We felt that maybe both parties could have handled it a little more internally without being so press release-happy about what had happened between them. Because we’re a band that, really, when it comes to news all over web sites or this or that about bands, you know, we don’t tweet much, we don’t try to put ourselves out that much, and all the drama and controversy wasn’t something that we wanted at all.”

No offense to drummers, but for your average joe radio listener, next to the bass player the drummer is probably the most easily replaced band member without anyone being the wiser.

Oh, and no offense to bass players :huh:

Yah right. Totally expendable metronomes. :o

Must be true, at least A7X thinks so :lol:

"and all the drama and controversy blah blah blah" - M. Shadows. I wonder what Sinister Gates has to say? Doesn't Zacky Vengence have anything to say? I guess I'll have to wait for the reality show to find out. DAMMIT!

Joe

Orange County, California's AVENGED SEVENFOLD has released the following statement:

"For the past few months, we've been blessed with Mike Portnoy's talent and humanity.

"When Mike agreed to tour with us, it was only through the end of 2010. We always knew we'd need to find another solution for 2011 and beyond. And it's time for us to take that next step.

"We know we are not ready to add another permanent member of AVENGED SEVENFOLD. We don't know if we will ever be. But if we do, it will only be with someone who is not only a brilliant drummer, but also someone we've gotten to know well on the road and off, and who you the fans have had a chance to get to know, and hopefully accept. In other words, in this family, we take these steps together, band and our extended fan family.

"We are lucky to be surrounded by so many friends, many of whom knew [late AVENGED SEVENFOLD drummer] Jimmy ['The Rev' Sullivan] very well personally, as well as our band and Jimmy's drumming talent and style. These friends have introduced us to several amazing drummers. We have decided to take one of them out starting in January. He will not be a member of AVENGED SEVENFOLD. He will be someone you and we are getting to know. Perhaps this drummer will be a fit. Perhaps not. One thing is for sure. Over time we will find someone who helps us continue our quest to make the music we love for the fans we love.

"Mike and the band agree that can't be him. Why? Long before there was an AVENGED SEVENFOLD, there were members of this band who looked up to Mike and, in Jimmy's case, learned a lot from watching Mike play. He is a brilliant writer, producer and, of course, drummer. Because of that, the world and we would always see it as AVENGED SEVENFOLD with Mike Portnoy.

"We take a lot of pride in AVENGED SEVENFOLD being about something greater than any individuals. It's about the music, the fans and the friends and family we have as well as continuing our best friends legacy.

"Please give whoever we try your love and support....and the benefit of the doubt. They won't be Jimmy. Who could be? But he will be himself, with his own special talents and creativity. And that's all we could ever look for.

"Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts for everything you've done love and support us and help us get back on our feet."

AVENGED SEVENFOLD is slated to hit the road in the U.S. next month as part of the "Nightmare After Christmas" tour, along with STONE SOUR and HOLLYWOOD UNDEAD. There is no word yet on whether the band will remain on that tour and enlist a new drummer.

James Sullivan, AVENGED SEVENFOLD's founding drummer, was found dead in his California home last December 28 of a fatal mixture of drugs and alcohol.

After reading all this, I guess I'll listen to some DT. I'm one of those who never has heard any member of that band play a single note... never been much for prog... but I'll give 'em a shot.

Makes me like A7X more... I understand what they mean about sometimes a band is one group of people, no matter how good or nice a "replacement" is.

• 4 months later...

Anyone with any interest in this thread should find this series of DT video's interesting. I guess this is DT communicating to their fans without MP. Off to a good start I think.

Should be at least one more forth-coming.

The Spirit Carries On - Episode One

The Spirit Carries On - Episode Two

Wow man! Seeing those monster players auditioning for DT was absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Incredibly entertaining! Seven of the best drummers - would be cool just to be in the room. These videos are the next best thing. I really appreciate you posting these!

Archived