Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So, I bought an SG - Updated NGD

LucSulla

Do it! But be selective, there are duds and there are studs. Pick a stud and your heart will go thud...what's with this rhyming crud? 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, diablo175 said:

As an OFR kinda guy, the SG is the one guitar sans trem I have bought time and time again.  As Bubs said, when they're right, they're right! I figure once I get over my obsession for Floyds and long scale, I'll be getting another SG.

You could Tony Iommi it:

Iommi.jpg

Just now, scottcald said:

You could Tony Iommi it:

Iommi.jpg

Oh, I had a Floyded SG w/24 frets and I sold it like a dumbass.

No automatic alt text available.

16 hours ago, tmsfo said:

I've actually been on the hunt for a bargain SG/Melody maker from the 60's.  You can find them in custom colors and as far as I know the body is virtually identical - they just didn't glue the "wings" onto the headstock.  I imagine you might have to upgrade the pickups to a hotter single coil to keep up with other guitars (or use a katana or something outboard).  Agreed with the others on the 61 reissue, that's probably the best recent model.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1966-Gibson-SG-Melody-Maker-Pelham-Blue-with-OSSC-Original-Soft-Case-/272421194911?hash=item3f6d918c9f%3Ag%3AFNsAAOSwXAJYVvoB&nma=true&si=Fz8iIoPkqUn8YCrharRbTv8GTUg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Like Fender Mustangs, Melody Makers from the mid-60s were ONLY available in red and pelham blue (1966) and white was added in 1967. There was a candy red that turned everything from copper to purplish that you see mostly on the MM12s, but that was probably 1968.  Forget the name of that finish...

I was never an SG guy.  In 1991 however, when the 30th Anniversary TV yellow SG/LP Custom came out, I HAD to have one.  Super cool guitar but the neck wobbled or wouldn't stay in tune.  Sold it and swore off SGs.  Picked up a 2007 Historic 61 SG/LP Standard reissue for stupid cheap on a late-night eBay surfing and wow-my favorite gig guitar of all time!

Killer in every way.

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Armitage said:

I've got an wine red SG Std that looks, plays and sounds great. It is a two piece body though... I think it's an '07

From what I understand, in the last decade or so, you can find Standards with anywhere from 1 to 3 piece bodies. 

19 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

From what I understand, in the last decade or so, you can find Standards with anywhere from 1 to 3 piece bodies. 

Problem is actually getting one that's one piece...I've had too many 'staff members' tell me via email or on the phone, 'it looks like a one-piece body to me' and shoot me an indecipherable cellphone photo, then I get to the store and I find that it's obviously a multiple-piece body, and said 'staff member' doesn't know the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground.

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

All Standards except some Korinas and a small number of Mahogany Standards have single-piece bodies and have since 1974. I have never seen an exception to this rule, although in the later days, who knows.  Definitely no 3-piece Standards.

5 minutes ago, serial said:

All Standards except some Korinas and a small number of Mahogany Standards have single-piece bodies and have since 1974. I have never seen an exception to this rule, although in the later days, who knows.  Definitely no 3-piece Standards.

I think he's talking about SG Standards.

You can take the boy out of Hamer, but you can't take the Hamer out of the boy.

1 hour ago, serial said:

Different Standard here, haha. 

7 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Oh, I had a Floyded SG w/24 frets and I sold it like a dumbass.

No automatic alt text available.

Based on recent history, if you had posed it by that big assed rock in your yard, it would have never sold. 😆

My Nephew has some kind of USA reissue late 2000's model. Seemed pretty comfortable, light and nice tone. Downside was it wouldn't stay in tune for shit, the nut also broke after a couple of years too. I'm sure there are some decent ones out there, just a matter of weeding through the ones that aren't.

5 hours ago, RobB said:

Look at this beast. There's sumpin' ya don't see evah day...

RobB approves.

Thanks, RobB.  It's the 2013 SG Supra.  3 57 classics and a Fishman piezo. No neck dive at all and a good medium neck.  I swapped the knobs from the witch hats.  I didn't think they looked right for this.  The quirk is Gibson's toggle switch/middle pickup pot combo.  Lord help me if it goes bad.  They only used it on this and I think one other SG model that year and that was it.  

On 1/13/2017 at 2:31 PM, diablo175 said:

Floyded SG w/24 frets and I sold it like a dumbass

but,

it is, was, gibson scale, 24- 3/4.

You would of off'd it sooner or later... no?

13 minutes ago, murkat said:

but,

it is, was, gibson scale, 24- 3/4.

You would of off'd it sooner or later... no?

Maybe, maybe not. I still have my LP Axcess- also short scale. Within it's limitations (# of frets & scale-wise) I've grown to get along quite well with it. I sold the SG because the LP was getting more stage time and frankly sounded better (with it's Murkat Floyd Specific p'up). Only needed one Gibby for the classic classic rock covers we did and daddy needed (to pay for) a new Jackson Custom Shop at the time so.... :rolleyes:

Funny thing is I had a shot at another SG Diablo yesterday and I didn't take it. Sure, the seller was colossally ignorant of what he actually had (it's NOT a custom shop order and it's NOT a fookin' OFR, dude) and the price was a little ambitious but in the end, I think I knew, somewhere in the deep of my soul, that it'd get relegated to the hardly-played-pile again.

I grabbed the SG Standard VOS below from Ernie last year.  I play pretty sparingly anymore, but since this one arrived I've become a little SG obsessed.  I've got another (MIJ Epiphone) that I also really like but haven't played it much since having it refinished (always wanted a fool replica but feel a little goofy playing it).

SG8.jpgScreen Shot 2017-01-14 at 5.02.03 PM.png

8 hours ago, jettster said:

My Nephew has some kind of USA reissue late 2000's model. Seemed pretty comfortable, light and nice tone. Downside was it wouldn't stay in tune for shit, the nut also broke after a couple of years too. I'm sure there are some decent ones out there, just a matter of weeding through the ones that aren't.

Maybe the nut was the problem all along.  Strings could have been binding, and that may have caused the nut to break. 

Did the guitar stay in tune after the nut was repaired? 

I would have to ask him, seems like it was better but still had issues. I know he hasn't played it much since his dad bought him a Suhr Modern, right after I got mine. He also has an Epiphone LP that didn't stay in tune very well. Its also possible that he got used to playing the different scale length and never went back. He was really surprised how much he liked my LP recently. Maybe he will go back and revisit those now.

Archived