Hamer Fan Club Message Center

CL: Hamer project on Denver Craigslist

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, marc61 said:

It looks so cool that I'd grab it if I were in that toewn and I don't even play (or need) a guitar

Well, what would be the point of any of this if we only bought guitars when we "needed" them?

I sold an '81 Special project pretty much identical to that about 15+ years ago.   I swapped an '80s RAT for it, and was going to make it into a "Revolver" graphic, but ended up moving into something else at the time.  Wonder if it still has the serial number?

I kept the Sustainblock though.  Stonge used that as one of the pattern pieces for the 2FIG run.

I would never trash an old Hamer with a Hipshot.

Blasphemy!

There were several NOS Sustainblock parts sold on Reverb over the weekend.

You never really know when or where one might show up.

If it was close to me, I'd call, just in case I might find a bridge for it someday.

I am on it...he's "tied up" during the day per our text exchange this morning, but my aunt lives nearby and if I can get him to drop it off to her (she is a hippie and doesn't drive)...I'm gonna go for it and have her pack and ship to me :)

I'm having a Block 'copy' made by MannMade.  He should have them done this month, if you would like one for any projects I'd contact John and ask for 'one-more'.  He has my 86 Hamer TLE he's using for blueprints.

33 minutes ago, Never2Late said:

I'm having a Block 'copy' made by MannMade.  He should have them done this month, if you would like one for any projects I'd contact John and ask for 'one-more'.  He has my 86 Hamer TLE he's using for blueprints.

Hmm... this is interesting. Did he make any comments on the orginal design of the sustain block?  Suggested improvements?

Just now, BubbaVO said:

Hmm... this is interesting. Did he make any comments on the orginal design of the sustain block?  Suggested improvements?

We thought about it, and he is MORE than capable, but for now I asked that he just duplicate it exactly, saddles and all.  If you want a design mod, feel-free to ask.  John has a complete machine shop for manufacturing bridges from scratch - my bridge should be finished in a week or so, John has been working on replicating Sustainblocks since last October.

16 minutes ago, Never2Late said:

We thought about it, and he is MORE than capable, but for now I asked that he just duplicate it exactly, saddles and all.  If you want a design mod, feel-free to ask.  John has a complete machine shop for manufacturing bridges from scratch - my bridge should be finished in a week or so, John has been working on replicating Sustainblocks since last October.

N2L, I just spoke to John and piggybacked on your order. John said the more the merrier - the price gets cheaper per unit.  Thanks

6 hours ago, BlueJer said:

I am on it...he's "tied up" during the day per our text exchange this morning, but my aunt lives nearby and if I can get him to drop it off to her (she is a hippie and doesn't drive)...I'm gonna go for it and have her pack and ship to me :)

If you change your mind, let me know. I'm interested, but won't approach the seller unless you're no longer working on a deal. 

Tnx.  

If whoever snags this wants a perfect fit Sustainblock for an '81 Special hit me up!  

17 hours ago, veatch said:

If you change your mind, let me know. I'm interested, but won't approach the seller unless you're no longer working on a deal. 

Tnx.  

Thanks man, I appreciate that.  I'm sending him money once he get's a shipping quote...

I've been wanting one of these for a long time now, so I am rather stoked!

17 hours ago, cmatthes said:

If whoever snags this wants a perfect fit Sustainblock for an '81 Special hit me up!  

Thank you!  I'll let you (and everyone else) what parts he had when it arrives...hoping for next week!  I may be hitting you up depending on if he finds the original or not...

Ok, looks like it will be shipping out today!

He checked his box of parts and has (and is including) the following:

Original bridge!!!, all cover plates, original knobs, original hamer pots and switch (still wired), the little plate that goes in the pocket with the electronics :)

Only thing missing is the tuners and pups.

Now I need to decide if I want to attempt to finish myself or not.  He said it wasn't sanded...that it was chemically stripped and in pieces when he bought it 20+ years ago.  What would a ballpark price be to have this finished properly?  He said pix don't do it justice, and that the flame maple is gorgeous...can't wait to get it home!

I don't have the cash right now, but also wondered where I could find original tuners?  May snag some Gravelin pups I've read so much about, but always wanted to try some lollars...

Any and all input welcomed.  Will send pix once it gets here...

11 minutes ago, BlueJer said:

Ok, looks like it will be shipping out today!

He checked his box of parts and has (and is including) the following:

Original bridge!!!, all cover plates, original knobs, original hamer pots and switch (still wired), the little plate that goes in the pocket with the electronics :)

Only thing missing is the tuners and pups.

Now I need to decide if I want to attempt to finish myself or not.  He said it wasn't sanded...that it was chemically stripped and in pieces when he bought it 20+ years ago.  What would a ballpark price be to have this finished properly?  He said pix don't do it justice, and that the flame maple is gorgeous...can't wait to get it home!

I don't have the cash right now, but also wondered where I could find original tuners?  May snag some Gravelin pups I've read so much about, but always wanted to try some lollars...

Any and all input welcomed.  Will send pix once it gets here...

I'm sure anyone here can hook you up with some Schallers cheap... I think this was made post-Grover era? That's a nice pice of wood there: I'd save your change to get it pro refinished. There are some folks on the board who could do it. I won't quote them on price, but considering how little ya paid for it, and a couple hundred on pickups... a nice pro finish is a good investment.

I had a '66 SG junior stripped, repaired, and repainted by a guy at the Gretsch Discussion Pages a few years ago. The finished product was like a new guitar and it was under $700. Very rewarding!

21 minutes ago, atomicwash said:

I had a '66 SG junior stripped, repaired, and repainted by a guy at the Gretsch Discussion Pages a few years ago. The finished product was like a new guitar and it was under $700. Very rewarding!

That is encouraging...what I would love to do is have someone on here do it and put the Hamer logo back on, etc.  I'm thinking a trans blue finish would be hot on this thing...

Archived