Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jerry Garcia's Grateful Dead Touring Rig up for Auction

specialk

5 hours ago, G Man said:

Haters gonna hate, but the Dead most likely have a bigger following than all of the crap hair bands you all like so much.  Just saying.

So, size of their following determines the expanse of their skill and talent? Put me down for hater.  :P

Nah.... actually, I just don't give a shit about them. Bored the f*ck outta me.

• Like 4

I always thought the GD had a DEDICATED (deadicated?) but relatively small following, a following in the literal sense.  And I think of them when I see that meme about U2 on the other page that says something like "I only liked them because I thought everyone else liked them". I have never intentionally listened to the GD.  File me under 'hater'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"You've accomplished nothing by besting a fool."  looking mostly at you kizanski

By every standard the Grateful Dead are one of the most successful bands in rock history.  Thousands of shows, millions of tickets sold, hundreds of millions of dollars made, a catalog of around 400 songs, off shoots like Jerry Garcia Band, Bobby and the Midnights, Rat Dawg, Wolf Brothers, Billy and the Kids, etc.  After Jerry died, I saw "The Dead" and the line up included Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes and it was fucking glorious.  Every big city in America has at least one Grateful Dead tribute band and those guys make a living from Deadheads like me. My hometown is St. Louis and Jake's Leg has been selling out bars and small theatres for 30+ years.  The sixth edition of the Dead centric music festival "Skull and Roses" is scheduled for April 19-21 at the Ventura County Fairgrounds.  Nothing but Dead and Dead-related music and it sells out. Some of the best Dead cover bands, Dark Star Orchestra and Joe Russo's Almost Dead, sell out venues like Red Rocks. 

It's ok if you don't like the music. It's ok if you call Jerry a "Crack Head" (because of course you are perfect). The music and the scene were/are immeasurably valuable for lots of people like me. We don't care if you try to make fun of the Band, you might as well complain about trees, you'll get just as far.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=d6b94ffc3ffeba80JmltdHM9MTcwMDI2NTYwMCZpZ3VpZD0zYzA4M2RlZS0yZmM1LTZjN2UtM2I4OC0yZDJkMmUxYzZkZmMmaW5zaWQ9NTIzOQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=3c083dee-2fc5-6c7e-3b88-2d2d2e1c6dfc&psq=skull+and+roses+festival+2024&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9tdXNpY2Zlc3RuZXdzLmNvbS8yMDIzLzExL3NrdWxsLXJvc2VzLXJldmVhbHMtMjAyNC1saW5ldXAtd2l0aC1kYXJrLXN0YXItb3JjaGVzdHJhLWFuZC1tZWx2aW4tc2VhbHMtamdiLWhlYWRpbmctdGhlLXBhY2sv&ntb=1

Edited by Ranger
  • Like 6

I never really got into the Greatful Dead, also never got into the Dave Matthew's Band, or Phish, or many other "Jam Band" style bands. In many cases, especially with the Greatful Dead, it's waaaayyy more than just a band. It's a way of life. It's a community. It's a an institution. Much in the same way that Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer band is, who I should add, are going to continue touring, as Buffett wished for.

The thing with all of these groups is that the concert experience is not really something that can be bottled up and put on an album or even in a video. Maybe some day I'll understand it.

22 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

The thing with all of these groups is that the concert experience is not really something that can be bottled up and put on an album or even in a video. Maybe some day I'll understand it.

are you suggesting that there would be no demand for a "clean and sober" seating section at those shows? 

56 minutes ago, Jimbilly said:

are you suggesting that there would be no demand for a "clean and sober" seating section at those shows? 

The Warf Rat deal has been going on for at least 15years at the shows. Warf Rat is the grouping of sober and trying to be sober Deadheads. As I recall, "Look for the yellow balloon."  Folks just show up and then stick together in the lot and in the show. No questions, no judgement, just safety while enjoying the music. Wonderfully valuable, highly recommended if you need healthy tour friends.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, diablo175 said:

"I saw [Grateful Dead] 26 times on LSD — it was the greatest band I ever saw. But I saw them straight, and it was the worst fucking band I ever heard in my life."

😂🤣😂

• 1 month later...

The diverse range of subgenres is largely what makes rock music so pervasive and durable.  To each, his own, you know.  As I get older, I tend to be less openly critical of artists, styles, and subgenres of which I'm not a fan...

....But I've never been as  consistently and militantly challenged when asked about one of these artists as much as when Dead fans grill me only to discover I find nothing appealing in their catalog.  It's as if they cannot conceive how a lifelong musician can harbor no appreciation of all that is "the genius of the Dead."

In fairness, though, I've gotten similar incredulous reactions from some friends when I admitted that I found JJ Cale/'70s Clapton "boring as hell" and "musically lazy".  Same as with my brother in law's worship of the perpetually stoned and sleep-inducing Jack Johnson.

Sacred cows die hard, it seems.

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 3