Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New guitars 2023. What did you get, if any?

Disturber

On 12/22/2023 at 6:39 AM, Disturber said:

Last december I had sworn my guitar wardrobe was full. No more goes in, if nothing goes out. Still, two more made it in through the door.

I got a pretty good deal on a 1993 Hamer Special. It has a great 90's neck. Wide and kinda flat, medium sized. I love these necks. I was thinking I should have this as my beater. I had it in for a fret leveling job. It plays and sounds great.

embed?resid=CF0C1CE40C6F6CA!177744&authk

Then I got a chance last month to buy one of a few guitars I lusted for some 10 years ago, but I could not afford it then. Now I got it offered to me again. I just could not say no. I had to buy it. (Something else will have to go.)

A Swedish built Les Paul 1959 replica. Built by a member on the Mylespaul forum tweöve years ago. The builder lives about 400 meters from Johan Gustavssons shop, and has known him for ever. He got into building replicas about the same time as Tom Bartlett, and they traded tips and tricks and meazurements and other things. (A member here, who designed the templates for the Bartlett Retrospect, was also involved in these trades of tips and tricks).

It's an absolutely stunning Les Paul build. (Easily as great as a Barlett). It has not been played that much over the 10 years since it was built. But the owner treated it with a fret job before he sent it out to me.

1 piece Honduran Mahogany body
2 piece North Eastern US book matched Maple Top
1 piece Honduras Mahogany neck
Old growth Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard (over 100 years old)
Mazzucchelli cellulose nitrate fretboard inlays
Vintage correct 6/6 nylon over saddle
Aniline dyes and Nitro Cellulose lacquer 
Bindings are ABS/Roylaite on the body and
Celluloid cream on the neck
CTS true vintage taper potentiometers
Original 50’s .022 Bumbel Bee capacitors
50s wiring
Screen printed Les Paul logo
Loaded with Sheptone Tributes.

I love this guitar. It's as great as a great vintage LP can possibly be. Very light weight. Very resonant. Absolutely great wood selection of old growth mahogany.

embed?resid=CF0C1CE40C6F6CA!178994&authk

embed?resid=CF0C1CE40C6F6CA!178993&authk

embed?resid=CF0C1CE40C6F6CA!178992&authk 

Here is the build thread: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/another-les-paul-build-thread.82178/

Fantastic work..I hate you.. ;)

• Haha 4

Godin Core HB. Back to P90s from the Lollar Imperials, which really shone in this guitar. Three coats of Super Shield©️to tame the buzz. Really nice guitars for the money. 
IMG_0718.jpeg

B&G Super90s. There’s something about mar… P90s and semi-hollows!

Edited by JGale
  • Like 8

My god...Again and again, I guess I have been totally confuzed with Telecaster 52 AVRI and this one especially with Joe Barden pickups and nicely modified....

So 2 Telecasters. Both 52 RI and it has been almost 38 Years without any telecaster in hands before this last move...

This thing is so organic and you can get almost anysound of it....

I simply love it (and most of the time to play french songs...and/or play with Larkin'poe----Thanks to Rebecca and Megan)

Cheers, would love to try a nocaster to compare

i-img675x1200-1702518120z8lwqk19652 (2).jpg

i-img675x1200-1702518153sq9bkt20194.jpg

• Like 6

I think my first purchase of 2023 was a Fender Strat, assembled by someone else from mainly Fender 'replacement' parts, which I got at DGS.  I'd always had a love/hate relationship with Strats before, as I never thought the ones I had sounded as good as they could or should, and I wasn't gonna spend a lot of time and shell out the extra bucks to do 'trial and error' mods or upgrades.  I decided to give this one a try.  It didn't quite make me a Strat convert, as this is the only Strat I ever want to play (yes, I did have a Gilmour-style partscaster for awhile, but I never really bonded with it and sold it later on), and I don't feel like looking for one 'just like it', because I've been though that search for gear more times than I care to remember...besides, I'm supposedly 'not a Strat guy' :lol:.  This one nails the Strat sound I'd been looking for, and does the Hendrix/SRV scooped midrange thing very nicely if/when I want it to.  Main parts are a Fender '60's replacement body (alder) in black with Fender '72 Strat replacement maple/maple neck (both MIM), mounted to the body 4-bolt style.  Bridge assembly is a Callaham vintage-style trem.  PUs are Fender Custom Shop '69 models and sound really sweet, clear, and suitably Stratty.  Tuners are Fender 'F' reissues, and pickguard is parchment 3-ply,  For some reason, the PU switch is wired as a 3-way (like the originals), but I like it as is, and I can still get the 'in-between' sounds if I want by balancing the PU switch.

My most recent Tele purchase is this one I got from Reverb...PUs are a Wilde (Bill Lawrence) 'Microcoil T' set, and actually sounds really nice with low to no hum, yet still sounds like a Tele, so I kept them in the guitar:

Partscaster T-Style 2013 Blueburst | Reverb

Got a couple of basses from DGS early in the year for really cheap (IMO), I definitely couldn't say no to this one (ash don't grow on as many trees as it used to!), even though I don't care much for guitars/basses that run off of 9-volt batteries.  I'd never heard of 'Brawley' basses before, but the workmanship looks to me to be about as good as it gets coming from South Korea.  Brawley was apparently the old MARS music chain 'house brand' until MARS went under...they moved their production to Indonesia later on, and supposedly are now one of the 'Guitar Center 'house brands', now going by the 'Laguna' name:

KB-24 - Natural, Recent | Reverb

Brawley Guitars - Wikipedia

My second bass of the year was a USA-made mid-90s Peavey Forum bass in a P/J pickup configuration; again, it was cheap IMO, even though the previous owner had installed a Seymour Duncan P/J PU set as an upgrade.   It sounds and plays wonderfully! 

I also picked up another Godin Core HB model as well (I have a few)...they're very well made and sound great even without changing out the bridge or PUs, and IMO Godin does a pretty darned good approximation of a Gibson-style tobacco sunburst, too:

Godin Core RN HB - Sunburst | Reverb

• Like 2

Hi all,

I think last year was a quiet one for me and new guitars - I had a couple to sell, one of which finally went.

These days I'm pretty focussed on seeking out particularly nice examples of my favourite models - and I've been looking out for a pretty Vintage S for a while now.

I was lucky enough to be contacted by Kaylem @Slunkstack in July last year, and we sorted out a deal for his Vintage S - all very enjoyable to arrange - thank you!!!

I'm never in a hurry to get my paws on guitars, so we sorted out our deal in September, and then when we both had good availability arranged shipping over to me - the shipping took a crazy short time - Picked up on the Thursday in Canada, and delivered to my place on Monday Morning!

I'm not overstating that this is a bloody beautiful guitar and I am thrilled with it!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

What do you think chaps?

Edited by Bennyboy-UK
  • Like 19

On 1/19/2024 at 2:06 AM, Bennyboy-UK said:

Hi all,

I think last year was a quiet one for me and new guitars - I had a couple to sell, one of which finally went.

These days I'm pretty focussed on seeking out particularly nice examples of my favourite models - and I've been looking out for a pretty Vintage S for a while now.

I was lucky enough to be contacted by Kaylem @Slunkstack in July last year, and we sorted out a deal for his Vintage S - all very enjoyable to arrange - thank you!!!

I'm never in a hurry to get my paws on guitars, so we sorted out our deal in September, and then when we both had good availability arranged shipping over to me - the shipping took a crazy short time - Picked up on the Thursday in Canada, and delivered to my place on Monday Morning!

I'm not overstating that this is a bloody beautiful guitar and I am thrilled with it!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

What do you think chaps?

Truly gorgeous but don’t leave on the floor, you, the missus or the dogs may step on it!

• Haha 1

Carvin CS3.

KILLER guitar. Solid mahogany, stainless steel frets, abalone inlays, Suhr Doug Aldrich PUs. Plays like a dream and hits like a sledgehammer.

$825 used from Guitar Center.

I sold my 92 Hamer Special to get this. I liked the Hamer but it just wasn't getting played enough. The Carvin gets gigged alot.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by HoboMan
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, HoboMan said:

Carvin CS3.

KILLER guitar. Solid mahogany, stainless steel frets, abalone inlays, Suhr Doug Aldrich PUs. Plays like a dream and hits like a sledgehammer.

I sold my 92 Hamer Special to get this. I liked the Hamer but it just wasn't getting played enough. The Carvin gets gigged alot.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Gorgeous fingerboard and inlays..fingers twitching:)

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 5:06 AM, Bennyboy-UK said:

Hi all,

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

What do you think chaps?

Is that a 4-band Eq. on the backplate with screw-pots?

9 hours ago, HoboMan said:

Carvin CS3.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

That's cool.  Hadn't seen one with a Floyd before. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 5:06 AM, Bennyboy-UK said:

Hi all,

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

What do you think chaps?

It’s still crazy to me that they used a chunk of flamed maple for the body. Flame goes through the sides and when you pop the back covers off you can even see it there. I was scared enough to scratch it that I was anxiety proviking to handle it haha. You also take much better pictures than I do!

Edited by Slunkstack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I banged out a quick video last night while Jr was having a quick shower.

Here you go - warts and all playing - I'm not what you would call an Elite player like some of you guys :D.

(Fuck it - I'm a work in progress!!! :D )

Edited by Bennyboy-UK
  • Like 7

Tried several guitars, but kept 2 Ibbys (George Benson LGB30, & S521) and a Firefly Baritone.

LGB30.jpgS521.JPG

Edited by Brooks
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2023 at 7:29 PM, Tortious said:

I have a Rivera Stage IV on order, too. Just because. No clue when it may arrive.

It arrived last week.

tbonesullivan's review here

quite well covers it. It's really awesome.

Transformers are now Hammond (Canadian).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tortious said:

It arrived last week.

quite well covers it. It's really awesome.

Transformers are now Hammond (Canadian).

Hammond transformers are definitely quality. I'm honestly still baffled by how Magnetic Components / Marvel Electronics went under so suddenly. They were making tons of transformers, and with the pandemic lots of people were ordering amp kits.

Glad you like it! It's a fantastic amp. So well thought out.

I got this Dean "edge pro 5" (Korean) in '23: it had been hanging around one of my regular pawn shop stops for long enough that I got it for $200 including tax, and they found a really nice soft case for it, - all it needed was a new output jack and cleanup/setup. I tried to flip it, I put it up on Craigslist and FB marketplace before Thanksgiving (often and excellent time to sell) for $400 and over about 4 months I didn't get a single offer, not even a lowball offer.  I spent a little more time on the setup, and I've been playing it: It has a really nice neck, good fretwork (it plays really nicely), it's 8 pounds 9 oz (my chap 5 is 9lb 1 oz), the emg-hz pups are good enough for live use, especially when 'effected' a bit.  I've always been a little smitten by the look of a sleek neck-thru.   For $210 ish, what's not to like!? 

*** and it's 35" scale, which I only just recently noticed.

It's really nice to have a good quality low cost guitar (or bass) to grab and go with, and not be overly concerned about. It's less orange in real life, a tobacco burst.

dean edge 5.JPG

dean edge 5 2.JPG

dean edge 5 3.JPG

Edited by Jimbilly
  • Like 5

Congrats, and +1 on finding a good inexpensive solidly-made bass!  Last year I managed to snag a early-mid '90's USA Peavey Forum bass with Seymour Duncan P and J bass pu's for $200, and a Korean-made Brawley bass with an ash body and a 35" scale for $150 within a month of each other.  I figured that Tree-fitty for the basses combined was a good sign. B)

• Like 3