Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Very Sad News

Didn't know the fella, but I hate it that I didn't.

Sounds like a great guy.

RIP Nightwolf.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met John at the first MWJ and I was impressed by his confident yet easygoing playing style. I always looked forward to reading any postings with his byline. Condolences to his family and friends.

This may sound weird but back in the day when Nightwolf was a regular he had a very grounding influence on this place. He made people act like adults in a way. I know more than one time I would think about what Nightwolf would think of a post or thread. What struck me was how much his family meant to him. They must be devastated. Sad news indeed. Rest in peace Nightwolf.

I'm home from vacation and I'm reflecting on this a bit. I had the unfortunate task of informing a mutual friend, Wayne Wesley Johnson, of Nightwolf's passing. Wayne and Nightwolf had plans to record a blues album some time soon, but never finalized any plans. That would have been worth listening to...

I had so many great conversations with John and we kept in touch, more off than on, after he left the board.

I never had anything but respect and admiration for the man and I suspect that even those who disagreed with him did as well.

I'm going to dig out a few photos from the old pc to bring back some memories for everyone...

The "Nightwolf Burst" Korina Vanguard that I bought from John.

post-2-1150594982_thumb.jpg

Very sad indeed. I "met" John through the G&L discussion board back around 2001. He nominated me for "lunch reporter". We exchanged a few e mails about guitars & blues. He purchased Buddy Guy's "Sweet Tea" at my suggestion, which I now have in my CD player. Heck of a nice guy, he took the time to answer e mails from a living room hack like me. Never had the pleasure of hearing him play. RIP, John.

John leads an HFC jam band, including a very young Evan D, at an incredible Hamer event:

Thanks for the post. That's me in the red shirt, playing bass. I am a guitarist at heart, but it was my pleasure to back the Wolf. He will be missed.

Sincerest condolences, and wish strength, peace, and love to his family.

I live in the same county as John and had the chance to play with him from time-to-time. I'd often see him and his family at the Hot Tuna shows in Harrisburg.

I will miss him too and send my sympathy and best wishes to his family.

Wayne

Shit! I'm sick to my stomach................

I dropped the ball with the emails just like I have with a bunch of others. Sometimes work gets in the way but no more. This hits home for me since we were close in age and I'm a Type II, one of the reasons I don't drink hardly at all anymore.

Condolences to his family.

I have missed John’s presence on the board ever since he stopped posting but I had always hoped that he would eventually return. It's very sad to know that is no longer possible. My condolences to his wife and children.

John’s passion for music and the blues in particular was always inspiring. When I mentioned that I seem to like a fair amount of music that is blues inspired (Led Zeppelin et.) but not much in the way of actual blues John was quick to burn me a CD in time for the upcoming HFC open house. He will be missed.

Archived